Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Ambient Light Dash install, newer 2ss no factory plugs - Lessons learned

Since I just got done helping a fellow camaro member with his 2SS doing the dash, I thought I would share some observations.

1. On the drivers side, under the kick panel, follow the wires that go into the door, locate the purple wire (there were two here, and I tapped the wrong one) It would work for ambient light, but wouldn't adjust. The proper wire was in the back of the mess of wires.

2. On the passenger side the first purple wire I found was the correct one.

3. Both sides I merely connected the negative to the ground, there are some suitable bolts under the side panels that worked great.

4. CONFIRMED, TOYOTA Paint 1B2, Antique Sage Pearl, is a near exact match for the interior trim that is "SILVER" from the factory. We messed up some sanding and this worked perfectly. I happened to have some around because that is the color of my Camry.

More sanding was needed, and it was hard to tell how will it worked during the day, but he is going to sand it a bit more and do some adjusting.

Hope these observations help anyone doing the ambient light install. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the wires I tapped. You know it is the right circuit when you can dim the dash, and the ambient light will go off completely.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
SouthJerseyGuy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS
Send a message via AIM to SouthJerseyGuy
did he have abl in the door from the factory? i am waiting on my silver trim package to come and want to do abl on doors and dash and herd about tapping the door switch lights and traction control switch for dimming but goes out all the way. i havent looked yet but was curious if the purple wires you speak of are in the doors if theres no abl??
SouthJerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
skuttduck

Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyGuy View Post
did he have abl in the door from the factory? i am waiting on my silver trim package to come and want to do abl on doors and dash and herd about tapping the door switch lights and traction control switch for dimming but goes out all the way. i havent looked yet but was curious if the purple wires you speak of are in the doors if theres no abl??
He had a 2SS and it had ambient light in the doors already. In your case you could tap one of the instrument panel lights such as the door switch, and traction control switch. That wire should be yellow. It is without a doubt yellow for traction control. I haven't re-checked the door window switch light to see if that is yellow.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #4
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
Thanks for the info.... just curious, what did you use for the led light pipe since digikey no longer carries it?
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
skuttduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lade View Post
Thanks for the info.... just curious, what did you use for the led light pipe since digikey no longer carries it?
He had ordered the digikey light pipe before they discontinued it.

Anyhow, I did a quick search, and you may even be able to use a curtain rod for it. "5mm Acrylic tube"

There is a place in the UK that makes it.

Also there was a video on making angel eyes for headlights that they used this. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...23&marketID=67

They took a dremel and cut slashes in the back of it. Though you could probably just paint a white stripe down the back and use it like the light tube.