Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Throttle Body Question

My question is. Is it OK to open the throttle plate manually by hand? I think it is OK to do this because I have already done it and the car runs fine, but since I did this I have read on the internet that on a drive by wire throttle body this could cause a problem. I have done this a lot on regular cable throttle bodies but not on a drive by wire one.

Today I put a new CAI air filter on my car and while I was doing it I wanted to look inside my intake manifold to see what it looked like as far as any signs of oil. I just pushed open the throttle plate manually with my fingers to look inside. I was pleased to see that it was very clean and no signs of oil. While I was doing this I took a rag with some throttle body cleaner on it and wiped the little bit of dark residue off the inside of the throttle body while I held the throttle plate open with my fingers. After I was done I took the car for a ride, it started and ran better then ever. Back to my question. Could opening the throttle plate by hand cause a problem?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Well after reading some more I'm pretty confident that it is ok to open the throttle plate manually as long as the key is off. If you have an assistant, they can turn the key on (don't start) and press the accelerator down and hold it open that way. Or use a brick on the accelerator. I prefer doing it manually. I also read that there are a few cars like a Nissan or Volkswagen that may require an idle relearn after doing this.
After all, my car ran great afterwards.