Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Hi everyone. I an the designer and manufacturer of these shifters. They have been on here for a while. a couple of members have purchased them one has posted reviews and one is waiting to be installed. Here is a link where they have been discussed a bit if you read the posts I think most of your questions will be answered if not I will be happy to answer any further questions you may have. One question which has not been answered is if they will work along with the wheel buttons and the answer is no. I am sure that if use this shifter you will never want to use the wheel buttons again. Although some think operating the buttons with your thumb is awkward but in fact if you try it I am sure you will agree it's awsome. thanks GeorgeL99 shifter with tap shift
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #16
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
You would think those tap buttons would be on the front and not the side. Looks ok but not for $350.
Hi, I have heard this a lot from people regarding the buttons on the side. Putting them on the front would make the shifter much larger. One of my first prototypes had buttons on the front but in reality shifting it was terrible. The buttons on the side is the way to go. As for the price. I have tried my best to keep the price as low as possible but if you consider materials and manufacturing the price is reasonable. Take in consideration the switches alone are about $70.00. One of the members here inquired about price and I was able to relay some good news.Because I am buying switches in quantities the parts manager is going to give me a discount once approved by the owner, this savings will be passed on and the new price which I will start immediately will be $329.00. Not a lot but every bit helps. If I see more interest perhaps a group buy discount would be in order, thanks George
Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #17
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
maybe a future mod for me.
Hello, I have been to a couple of meets in RI but don't believe we have met. I am in Warwick constantly as that is where my girlfriend lives, if you would like I would be happy to meet you and you would be more than welcome to drive my car and test the shifter first hand, thanks, George
Old 08-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #18
BigJoe

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (10/17/2009)
L99 tap shifter

What does the installation process involve?
Installation guide and pictures would be nice.

Ordered 08/31/2009
Delivered 10/15/2009
Serial# 52,222
BigJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #19
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
imo... kind of pointless. I would just stick with tapshifting on the wheel.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:02 AM   #20
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe View Post
What does the installation process involve?
Installation guide and pictures would be nice.

Installation is quite easy, I will attach a link later today when I am back at my office.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #21
Rwarchol

Drives: 2010 1LT SIM A6, 2005 GTO TR A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
imo... kind of pointless. I would just stick with tapshifting on the wheel.
Ever try to turn a corner while upshifting with the tap shifters?

What about a shifter that's close to OEM but with the shifting buttons on top? Or maybe one designed after the elusive concept shifter?
Rwarchol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #23
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarchol View Post
Ever try to turn a corner while upshifting with the tap shifters?

What about a shifter that's close to OEM but with the shifting buttons on top? Or maybe one designed after the elusive concept shifter?
Hi. People must understand that the location of the buttons is restricted by there size and by the shifting mechanism itself. You cannot just pic a location and bang it works. although all of these location sugestions that people are making sound good they are just not physically possible. Everyone do this, next time you're in your cars pretend the buttons are in the locations you are suggesting and see how you would be able to shift accurately and comfortably. I think you will find that it doesn't work as good as it sounds.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #24
CFD

I have been trying to post the install instructions but am having some difficulty although I will be working on it and have them posted as soon as possible.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #25
CFD

For those who have been patiently waiting I have finally got a link to the installation instructions. In doing so my web site crashed so here is what you must do, click on the link, once in my home page click any other page then click the home page again, this time the Camaro 5 page will show up 2nd from bottom click it and you will find them. Sorry for the trouble but will tr to repair the site later. thanks George. www.cartersfabanddesign.com
Old 08-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #26
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
I just browsed through the instructions but I was wondering if it was possible to add a "Y" type connection at the steering wheel to enable both the steering wheel buttons as well as the shifter buttons?
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #27
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe's SS View Post
I just browsed through the instructions but I was wondering if it was possible to add a "Y" type connection at the steering wheel to enable both the steering wheel buttons as well as the shifter buttons?

Hi. No you cannot,tried it but where as by adding an extra set of switches it changes the resistance therefore the signal to the computer is incorrect causing the trans. not to shift.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #28
CFD

Exclamation

After recieving questions on the above subject of using both sets of switches I did some more experimenting today and might add this WARNING!!!!. DO NOT TRY TO LEAVE BOTH SETS OF SWITCHES CONNECTED. . If you leave the steering wheel buttons connected as well as the set in the shifter not only does it send inconsistant signals. To be blunt it f$%#s up everything.Sometimes it may shift sometimes not and at other times it will do what ever it feels like such as dropping from 3rd to 1st while accelerating or shifting on it's own or anything in between. Although after using the shifter I don't see anyone wanting to use the wheel buttons as well but if there are enough who are really interested it may be possible too add a switch that will allow use of one or the other but not both simoutaneously.