Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
HeaterMan

Drives: 2018 PP GT
new cars and car shows

I see lots of posts about guys taking their Camaros to car shows and i see the same posts on mustang and Challenger boards and to be honest i don't get it. Usually car shows are full of classic and custom cars that have had restorations or restifications and are the type you don't see driving down the road all the time. whats to point of taking a brand new car that anybody can buy to a car show. granted some of them have exhaust or custom wheels but usually none of the owners craftmanship or talent goes into these cars. if people want to see these cars they can look at one driving down the street or even go to a dealer showroom and look at them. as a hobbyist who builds and restores classic cars this just seems odd to me. luckily many of the shows and cruise ins have placed a model year cut off to prevent this type of thing. i wouldn't dream of taking my SS to a car show or cruise in.
HeaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Typically these cars would be placed in their own class, for cars that are new/late model vehicles, or a bone-stock class.

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq

Last edited by wullger; 05-30-2010 at 12:04 PM.
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Its the heritage. And I wouldnt be so quick to say no craftsmanship or talent goes into these cars... Wheres Ind and that jaw dropping interior...
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
I wouldn't consider the camaro a car that you see driving around anywhere. I take mine to open free shows that usualy have no trophies. It's just to show. Let's face it, people like to look at these 'new' retro cars up close, and many people don't get the chance to do so. Even after a year, I still get people telling me that this is their first time seeing one up close. I'm sure in a few year, this will change. For now though, if it make people a little happier, why not.

2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metalic & Cyber Grey Stripes

My Homepage
http://titanic-model.com
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
Tigg
Irreverent Schmoe

Drives: Black 2010 2SS
At most shows there will be a class such as 2005 and newer...It's ok with me if they are showing but It really bugs me when a new car wins best in show..I have a 66 chevelle that I used to show and I put tons of time in bringing back the new to this car...When some shmoe brought in a new car and won..it's one of the reasons I quit showing Her. I take the Camaro and Chevelle to cruise ins but not to shows..
Tigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
HotInferno

Drives: Aqua Blue Metalic 2LT
I used to Agree with shows were for the older cars.
However, I am a Member of Deep South Mopars, Mobile Chapter. We decided two years ago to register for Mopars at the Battleship. The event is put on by Souther Mopar Association and benefits the Mulherin Home, a local home for those with Special Needs.
This year we registerd 39 cars from Deepsouth Mopars which boosted the funds they raised and provided the crowd a chance to get close to the newer cars most of which are moddded in different ways.
We use the event as a place for our Club to help another Club provide for those in need, and gather as a Regional event.
The first year SMA was skeptical, this year grateful.
Cars are judged in their own bracket!!
Fun for Everyone!!
By the way, the Aqua Blue Camaro sat nearby my Charger and stole the show!!!!!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
I don't think it would be an issue if some of these newer cars didn't actually win trophies and this has been debated before but, it seems worse with the new era of musclecars that are playing off of retro styling.
I agree that a new car that a lot of people can afford to buy, lease, or rent, even if it has some catalog parts on it, is really nothing special enough to be deemed a "show quality" vehicle.
The flip side is we hope that more people are interested in the hobby without hurting it in the long run.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
Blackbean

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Last December,I took my car to a Cruise-In,in Fl,and parked next to an old Mercedes SL500.I had so many people looking at the car,I thought ,maybe, I needed security.
As I was leaving,the Mercedes guy said,"don't park next to me next time, nobody even looked at my car."
Attached Images

Blackbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #9
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
if your car makes you proud to be an owner, whether it be a Geo or Porsche, why not? It's up to the Vendors, and if it draws interest, that's all that matters..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbean View Post
Last December,I took my car to a Cruise-In,in Fl,and parked next to an old Mercedes SL500.I had so many people looking at the car,I thought ,maybe, I needed security.
As I was leaving,the Mercedes guy said,"don't park next to me next time, nobody even looked at my car."

You should have seen what it looked like when someone with a new Camaro showed up at a car show last Sping (May, June 2009). It was ridiculous.

I avoided car shows for that reason.

When you have 20 people standing around taking pictures (June 09) of your car at Walmart, who needs a car show?
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
az5thgen

Drives: 2010 1LT
I have rebuilt 2 El Caminos and 2 Camaros, so I understand the basics of what you are saying. I also understand what it feels like to have 20 people standing around a new Camaro when there is a classic Chevelle siting next to it with no one looking.

On the other hand, we have a huge club here with some pretty radically customized 2010's that hit the local shows on a weekly basis. From complete re-paints to custom motor works they are far from stock. We pull into a show with 20 cars and we get attention! We can't help it if thats what people are attracted to - we get a lot of love and questions from everyone there. It's still a new car, the glory will fade soon, then you can have your shows back.

...but I hear you.
az5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
Blackbean

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
You are absolutely, right,and I talked with the Mercedes guy for an hour, he showed me a book with the entire restoration job,he had done, and it was incredible.I was thinking all the way home how nice his car was.
Blackbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
Green Monster

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green, 6-sp auto
People have always been bringing their "new" cars to shows. I remember my father taking me to a show in 1972 and I would say that 80% were 1967 and newer. You will always have this because people like to show off their cars.

Most people make their cars personal to their tastes and that's what I like about them. These shows should not be all about awards and trophies anyway, IMO.

I enjoy viewing them all. I like looking at the old cars myself, but most of the younger generation will be looking at the new cars. To each his own.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I have always taken my new Camaros and my new Corvette to cruises and shows. I'm proud of my cars and I want to show them off. I don't care about the trophies, it's about the people that are there. The new Camaro must be a beautiful car because people flock to it as soon as it arrives at a cruise or show. To each his own, don't criticize someone because they like to show off their car.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote