Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #29
69Tom

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I didn't say you shouldn't buy the car, I just don't understand the logic. Like I said, it's a relatively uncompromising car. Neutering the grip all-year round is something I'm finding difficult to comprehend. For the record, mine is a daily-driver, and I drove to work today in the rain (and yesterday, and Tuesday, and according to the weather man, tomorrow too).
That's the thing. I have had no problems with the grip with the A/S, which is what the OP asked about. Is the grip as good as tires with a stickier compound? Obviously not. However, if he's looking for a tire that is going to last longer because it is a harder compound but still has a good grip, the A/S is probably a better tire. Unless you're going to argue that the A/S will wear as quickly as a softer compound tire. I can't compare as I took my Goodyear off after 3,000 miles with good tread, and have had the A/S for just about 5,000 miles.

Quote:
As far as OP not looking for our opinions, it begs the question, why did he post? Did he expect a bunch of people to respond with "Yes" and "No" and that is all? This is a subforum centered around the 1LE, a highly-focused track package that offers serious performance at a serious price (comfort, not $$). The OP just ordered tires that will effectively deep-six a large part of that performance and he, and you, don't expect opinions?

To throw another analogy at you, that's like going on a MADD forum and asking if anyone else drove home drunk last night.
If you look at his 1st post, he asked the opinions of other people with the tire. At least that was how I read it. Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess perhaps I was a little sensitive to the posts not answering his question, but I didn't see the point in some of the posts. Saying he ruined his car? Really, is the car ruined or whatever it was that was said? That's absurd. This AM, someone who just got a 1LE started a thread stating his excitement about getting the car. He also stated that it was his first manual transmission car and people started questioning him getting the car because of that fact. I just didn't see the point in the comments. Why ruin or dampen his enthusiasm? He might be the best damn driver out there who has always owned an auto transmission. He might have owned motorcycles so it will be a piece of cake to learn how to drive a stick shift in a car due to understanding it conceptually. I guess my tolerance for comments that criticize because it's not what people think is "right" when it comes to buying a car or tires or whatever is low these days. I apologize.

Last edited by 69Tom; 06-12-2014 at 10:52 AM.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #30
rickr9504

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
That's the thing. I have had no problems with the grip with the A/S, which is what the OP asked about.

If you look at his 1st post, he asked the opinions of other people with the tire. At least that was how I read it. Maybe I'm wrong.
That is exactly what I was looking for, of course others can give their opinion too. I have no problem with that. Funny though how so many seem to be expert in what someone else should do.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #31
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr9504 View Post
So I am going to say it again why I bought the tires. Longevity, they are guaranteed 45,000 miles and I don't fee like changing tires every 8,000 miles. Why not go with the PSS that can last 30,000 miles? First the $25+tax saving per tire is nice. Second, I don't track my car and as I said it before, I just love to look at it. Now don't lie, I am sure you do that too.
In my experience, about once per set of tires I end up being very glad that I choose tires based on grip over promised tread longevity. $25/tire won't even buy the paint work should your tires' grip be ever so slightly not good enough, just that one time.

Such incidents happen in pure street driving at normal speeds in traffic, not when I'm autocrossing, or running on a road course, or just driving a bit harder than normal traffic through a highway ramp.

That said, I put a set of Michelin PS A/S+ tires on my wife's car - a turbocharged 6MT Subaru Legacy - during the cooler months (which up here also means snow). Normally I wouldn't even look at 500 treadwear tires, but I needed to put her on tires better suited to cooler weather and a little snow and the Michelins kept finding their way to the top of everybody's lists. So far, so good.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #32
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
I didn't say you shouldn't buy the car, I just don't understand the logic. Like I said, it's a relatively uncompromising car. Neutering the grip all-year round is something I'm finding difficult to comprehend. For the record, mine is a daily-driver, and I drove to work today in the rain (and yesterday, and Tuesday, and according to the weather man, tomorrow too).

As far as OP not looking for our opinions, it begs the question, why did he post? Did he expect a bunch of people to respond with "Yes" and "No" and that is all? This is a subforum centered around the 1LE, a highly-focused track package that offers serious performance at a serious price (comfort, not $$). The OP just ordered tires that will effectively deep-six a large part of that performance and he, and you, don't expect opinions?

To throw another analogy at you, that's like going on a MADD forum and asking if anyone else drove home drunk last night.

That is good stuff!!! People just gave me the stink eye for laughing so loud at work. Can we be friends?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #33
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
On this subject of tires, we just ordered new GY's for our car, and the price installed and out the door will be $1100.00. That includes labor, rebuilding the TPMS, and taxes. I did not think that was too bad. This is at a Discount Tire in Jax, FL. The thing I found was there were many places that I called that simply did not offer the GY's. Also, my dealer who had quoted me during the last oil change (about 2 weeks ago) jacked the price up about $70/per tire on this quote.
To the OP, I chose the GY's because I like to play hard with our car, and would hate to have a situation that better traction could have prevented a problem. We also live in SE Georgia, so cold weather is not a big deal, and I have never really had a problem in the rain with the GY tires. Finally, the GY's were the cheapest option I found, by a bunch! You will be fine with your selection....enjoy your car!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #34
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
On this subject of tires, we just ordered new GY's for our car, and the price installed and out the door will be $1100.00. That includes labor, rebuilding the TPMS, and taxes. I did not think that was too bad. This is at a Discount Tire in Jax, FL. The thing I found was there were many places that I called that simply did not offer the GY's. Also, my dealer who had quoted me during the last oil change (about 2 weeks ago) jacked the price up about $70/per tire on this quote.
Next time you need tires. Order from the Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com). During checkout, they will ask you if you want to ship the tires to your house or to a Tire Rack affiliated installer. There are thousands all over the country. Find one near you (there are 5 or so within 10 miles of me) and have them shipped there. They get shipped in your name and your installer calls you when they arrive, you schedule a time to have them installed, and you're done.

The local installer I use is my local Sears, they charge $11 per wheel to mount and balance the new tires. The prices through Tire Rack more than make up for the Shipping and Mounting/Balancing costs.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #35
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Enjoy your tires!!! Nothing else here...
Old 06-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #36
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Ill add my .02 about getting A/S for a 1LE;

Ok lets think about how many Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo owners who track their car!? Ill bet its very very few!!! Do they enjoy the look, handling, sound and braking of their car? I bet they do!!

Same logic goes with the 1LE; yes A/S tires will reduce grip, but most of the time, on thr streets, you wont push the car to its limit anyway. You will still enjoy thr car in every way, no matter what tires you are running (excluding some really crappy tires).

I just ordered the GY but Im getting remorse now; I think its better to have real street tires, like Michelin PSS than GY when tracking once or twice a year. My next tires will be PSS. I do not have experience with those A/S and most plp dont, so OP, let us know what you think about it!

FYI , I got a screw in a rear tire after 2k miles and had it patched since and no problem after 5kmiles and many burnout.
Ill add that I hate GY during fall and spring because Im up north. My best choice would be PSS without tracking the car no more than twice a year.

Discount tire direct is a great site too OP.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #37
XxScottxXN
Huge Chevy Fan

Drives: 14' 2SS/RS 1LE built 4/22/14
I might have a set of Goodyears off of my 1LE for sale if the someone doesnt buy them this weekend. Only 200 miles on them!! I bought Michelin PSS and love the new ones...wont go back to the goodyears.
2014 2SS/RS Red Rock Metallic, Recaro seats, sunroof, NPP, Nitto Motivo 275/40/20 front 315/35/20 back, Cold air inductions intake, elite catch can, Stainless Works 1 7/8" long tube headers w/hiflow cats, 20% tint, Intake rod mod by Gwatney Performance, Bo White ported & polished throttle body, powerbond 25% UDP, Howards Cam 226/236 duration- 525/525 lift 110 ....with a WHOLE bunch of fun added!!
XxScottxXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #38
camaro-ss65

Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE
guys I found a place online with some great price for tires and free shipping

Use discount code:pops40 for a $40. discount

http://www.tirebuyer.com/
Old 06-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #39
rickr9504

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-ss65 View Post
guys I found a place online with some great price for tires and free shipping

Use discount code:pops40 for a $40. discount

http://www.tirebuyer.com/
That is where I got mine from. I actually got $50 off plus the $70 from Michelin.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #40
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
Got any pics on what they look like on your car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxScottxXN View Post
I might have a set of Goodyears off of my 1LE for sale if the someone doesnt buy them this weekend. Only 200 miles on them!! I bought Michelin PSS and love the new ones...wont go back to the goodyears.
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #41
camaro-ss65

Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr9504 View Post
That is where I got mine from. I actually got $50 off plus the $70 from Michelin.
Good find!! now I know where to order my tires
Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #42
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Tirebuyer is certainly another good option (and I ought to add it as another tire-related "favorite"), but you still need to do a little comparison shopping. As of this moment, they're listing the Michelin PSS tires in the size I just bought (285/35-18, Tire Rack) at $1/tire less (not counting Michelin's current $70 offer). Any real savings would have come down to differences in shipping costs, which could go either way.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote