Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Noctis

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6
2011 Camaro SS 1st gear grinding

Just recently traded up to a used manual SS but after driving for about 130 miles the 1st gear is not engaging and is grinding when driving from a stop. I would put the gear into 1st making sure the clutch pedal is all the way down and the gear is all the way in I would do the lift the clutch pedal slowly and adding gas but then the gear would grind either popping out to neutral or grind making me pull it to neutral also i would smell burning clutch. I also try holding the gear in first and doing the same thing but it still grinds and trys to pop to neutral Is this normal or should i take it in to the dealer and have it checked out
Noctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
not normal take it to dealer if its under warranty if not find a good shop to do the work
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
Noctis

The next grinding caused my speedometer to shoot up to 60mph without me moving either
Old 03-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
My 2011 SS grinds on the 1-2 shift sometimes (maybe once every 2 weeks). The Tremec TR-6060 transmission has been known to have this issue. It's used in Corvettes, Vipers, Challenger SRT8, GT500, etc. and many people have reported this. Your problem of the shifter popping into neutral isn't common though.
I've noticed the grinding is related to driveline fluid temperature. It is more likely to grind after the car has been off for a while. However, it never grinds if the transmission fluid is at full operating temperature.
Your car seems to have a serious case of grinding and I'd have it checked out.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
Noctis

I have read on the 1-2 grind but this issue is from standstill neutral to first gear. To better put a light to this, I would warm up my Camaro before anything then as I get to the road I would stop. I would then push my clutch pedal down and shift into first gear as I raise the clutch I give it some gas when it catches but then the shifter would grind really bad and pop into neutral. A second test I tried was to hold the shifter in first making sure its completly in first gear then repeat the motion of letting my clutch pedal up slowly giving it gas again I would either feel a thump of the gear or it pops out of place and me feeling the gears grinding against each other like it wouldn't click into place with the teeth of the gears hitting each other
Old 03-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #6
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
You most likely have a wiped syncro and given that your speedo went to 60 and you didn't move, add a slipping clutch to the list. Get the car to the dealer before you do further damage.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
You most likely have a wiped syncro and given that your speedo went to 60 and you didn't move, add a slipping clutch to the list. Get the car to the dealer before you do further damage.
Exactly. Grinding and popping out of gear is bad news, as is the slipping clutch. Sounds like this car suffered some abuse by the previous owner, who should have bought an automatic.

You have a 100,000 mile drive train warranty. That won't cover a worn clutch, but maybe you have a 90 day "satisfaction" warranty from the dealer on the used car? Be polite but firm with the dealer.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
Just recently traded up to a used manual SS but after driving for about 130 miles the 1st gear is not engaging and is grinding when driving from a stop. I would put the gear into 1st making sure the clutch pedal is all the way down and the gear is all the way in I would do the lift the clutch pedal slowly and adding gas but then the gear would grind either popping out to neutral or grind making me pull it to neutral also i would smell burning clutch. I also try holding the gear in first and doing the same thing but it still grinds and trys to pop to neutral Is this normal or should i take it in to the dealer and have it checked out

I am sorry to hear of the concern you are experiencing with your vehicle, Noctis. If you are willing to bring your vehicle into your local dealership for a diagnosis, please let us know. We are more than happy to assist and stay involved throughout that process. Send us a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location.

Regards,

Laura M. (asssiting)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Noctis

Will be taking her into a dealer tomorrow first one was too full
Old 03-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #10
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
yikes...looks like the previous owner wasn't a good driver. Sorry to hear that, but definitely take it back to where you just purchased it and let them know the issues you are having.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
Noctis

My baby is now at a dealer hoping its nothing bad now the waiting game
Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 AM   #12
Noctis

Back on the road shes all fixed up. Problem was the 1st gear had nearly no splines left on it but thanks to Gunn Chevrolet the repairs was flawless no issues seems like the previous driver should of gotten an auto and spared this car
Old 03-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
Back on the road shes all fixed up. Problem was the 1st gear had nearly no splines left on it but thanks to Gunn Chevrolet the repairs was flawless no issues seems like the previous driver should of gotten an auto and spared this car
Noctis,

Thanks for your update and glad to hear you're back on the road. Please keep an eye on everything and don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further concerns.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote