Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
CamaroW&b

Drives: SS / ZL1 Kit retrofit
Exclamation 3.91 gear ratio - speedometer recalibration issue

Hi guys

I just got the 3.91 gear ratio installed on my L99 by the dealer and got an issue in recalibrating the speedometer. It is showing in the speedometer an increase of nearly 20% above the actual speed.

They asked me about a code so that they would be able to reprogram the ECM. And they told me I was supposed to get the code from the seller ( another Chevy dealer ) that I bought this kit from. I spoke to the seller and told me there wasn't any code included in this kit and he has no idea about this code.

So it has been now two months since installation and the dealer didn't reach a solution. They contacted GM to find a solution and still in the process for finding a solution. I'm just waiting to hear back from them.

The strange thing that the dealer told me is that these kits weren't supposed to be sold and installed for a Camaro that wasn't equipped with this gear kit. I'm not sure if he's right.

So any suggestions for this issue? I read some post about this kit mentioning something about tuning for fixing the shift points. Would the tuning solve speedometer issue too in the autos? My car is tuned and I didn't retune again when I installed this kit. So I don't know if my car is running fine without retuning the shift points.

I need help guys in this issue please.

Performance: ZL1 Corsa Catback Exhaust - CAI - Kooks 1 7/8"x3" Long tube headers.

Exterior: Full ZL1 body kit conversion.

Suspension upgrades
CamaroW&b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Dealer needs to call TAC. They will want the VIN and 50.00 for the tune and they will send it to the dealer to install on the car.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
CamaroW&b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Dealer needs to call TAC. They will want the VIN and 50.00 for the tune and they will send it to the dealer to install on the car.

I guess these are who they called and asked for the code.

Performance: ZL1 Corsa Catback Exhaust - CAI - Kooks 1 7/8"x3" Long tube headers.

Suspension upgrades
Old 09-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
gmpartsman

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS IBM
i had my 3.91 installed today. inside the box there is a sheet of paper with a code on it. the tech calls and tac gives him a code to reprogram your car per that vci code.

every kit we have ever sold has had that paper and code in it. check with your installer for it
gmpartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
You mean all that paperwork the GM tech never looked at and threw in the trash.......

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
i would just get a real tuner (speed shop) to tune it and get a dyno tune while you are at it.

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Switch-Link

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS A6 LS3 conversion
Plug HP tuners into it and all you have to do is go to the Speedo tab and change your rear diff ratio and it will correct your speedometer. Not sure about all this code business?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
CamaroW&b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpartsman View Post
i had my 3.91 installed today. inside the box there is a sheet of paper with a code on it. the tech calls and tac gives him a code to reprogram your car per that vci code.

every kit we have ever sold has had that paper and code in it. check with your installer for it

I didn't have the paper in the kit I got. I contacted the seller and he has no idea about the code.

Suspension upgrades
Old 09-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
CamaroW&b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch-Link View Post
Plug HP tuners into it and all you have to do is go to the Speedo tab and change your rear diff ratio and it will correct your speedometer. Not sure about all this code business?

This is what I'm going to do. The code thing wasted my time

Suspension upgrades