Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #211
afireinside
Firefighter/Medic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3 IOM, 2008 Z71
Ya doing mine soon too along with tranny and diff change to amsoil

Mods: LSR Sway Bars, LSR Short throw shifter, MPD1 spoiler, Heritage Grille, 5% Limo tint
afireinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #212
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
The hose ID is 5/16" or 3/8". My concern was if there is special hose to handle brake fluid or would standard automotive fuel line work. I plan to mount the GTO remote reservoir on the mount that the positive battery terminal is mounted on the driver side inner fender. Nice flat vertical plate. I am a bit apprehensive of mounting the reservoir on the strut tower. I didn't want to drill into it as it appears the tower is made up of several spot welded pieces where several have mounted the reservoir and my concern was for the integrity of the factory spot welds.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #213
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
There's so many damn spot welds that I don't think it would matter. I tried to avoid the welds since they'd probably be more difficult to drill through. I mounted mine right at the top of the tower and it's pretty level, but a little bit of a stretch for the stock hose. At one side it was 3 sheets thick of metal. The only thing I could fit was a dremel at a little bit of an angle to drill a pilot for some self tapping screws ( they don't self tap too well through 3 layers of sheetmetal in a tight space ).
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #214
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Yeah...I wouldn't worry about the integrity of welds....there is some thick metal there. If anything it's a PITA to get something to go through it. So if your looking for a mounting place, do it for ease of install.

You can see in my pictures that I put down some painters tape. Tried to get it as level as I could and marked some spots with a sharpie. I then put a self taping screw in what an air wrench. Even then it took a while of hard pressing. After using that screw to start my whole it was pretty much trashed. I used a fresh one on each whole and then an new one to actually mount it.

You need to hold the resivoir up to the battery post and see what hit looks like. One thing I like about it being on the strut tower is that it looks more like it came that way. You put in on that battery terminal and it might look like you added it.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #215
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Just got my reservoir from 2SSRS! Looks good! It'll be a couple weeks or so before I get to doing the mod. Will a rubber plug suffice or do I need a neoprene plug?

Last edited by ssmike; 12-03-2010 at 07:08 PM.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #216
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Just got my reservoir from 2SSRS! Looks good! It'll be a couple weeks or so before I get to doing the mod. Will a rubber plug suffice or do I need a neoprene plug?
I used a rubber one that you can get from any parts store. I put a small hose clamp around it. You'll see it starting to balloon when it gets tight enough. Then slightly back it off.

So far....no issues with the rubber. However....I guess if you can get neoprene it's possible that might be better.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 12-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #217
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Just installed the seperate clutch reservoir! I temporarily zip tied it to the red battery lead for now till I can get a right angle drill to mount permanently! Here's some pics. The old brake fluid that I sucked out was very dark and had a scummy film floating on top. I used a rubber vacuum hose plug which is neoprene according to the description on the back of the package. I just hope it holds up to the brake fluid. The package said that it is oil and acid resistant. The mod only took 1/2 hour and was a piece of cake! The only thing was I dropped the brake reservoir cover and it got wedged between the mainifold and body so I had to jack up the car and crawl under to retrieve it! I do tend to have butter fingers at times, LOL!
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #218
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Nice job.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #219
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Did mine today; took about an hour.
I'll just add my own thoughts and omit the stuff that would be
redundant.

I used a right angle drill attachment from HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ill+attachment

and a center drill bit to start the holes after using an automatic
center punch to spot the location
https://www.shoprutlandtool.com/cata.../10530400.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...c+center+punch

I had to angle the drill towards the engine to get enough clearance.
I taped the location on the shock tower and penciled the holes, but
I must've moved the reservoir 'cause after drilling, I was off a bit,
SO...
I made good use of a coarse rat-tail file and elongated the mounting
holes a bit.

I used the drill attachment with a 1/4" socket to hex adapter and an 8MM socket to start the screws (much easier than my earlier attempt
to use the self-tapping screw itself as a means to drill it's own hole)

After mounting with #12x5/8" self tapping screws, I decided that
the OE hose seemed a bit stretched so I cobbled a spacer out of
some 1/4" Plexiglas, which necessitated the use of #12x1" self
tapping screws and washers.

I don't have a working camera handy so no photos will be forthcoming...
...you'll just have to use your imagination and rely upon my
written explanation.

Hope this helps make it easier for those who follow.

Cheers!
RiCamaro
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #220
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Wow nice job.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #221
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Hey 2SSRS how can I get one of those reservoirs from you?
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #222
caverman

Quote:
Just installed the seperate clutch reservoir! I temporarily zip tied it to the red battery lead for now till I can get a right angle drill to mount permanently! Here's some pics. The old brake fluid that I sucked out was very dark and had a scummy film floating on top. I used a rubber vacuum hose plug which is neoprene according to the description on the back of the package. I just hope it holds up to the brake fluid. The package said that it is oil and acid resistant. The mod only took 1/2 hour and was a piece of cake! The only thing was I dropped the brake reservoir cover and it got wedged between the mainifold and body so I had to jack up the car and crawl under to retrieve it! I do tend to have butter fingers at times, LOL!
Cool....I actually like that zipped tied there. I'm not sure that I wouldn't leave it that way. As long as it doesn't really move around you'll probably be good.

That might be a very viable option for those that don't want to drill into their shock tower. Obviously it doesn't look quit as factory as the others but still not bad at all.
Build Journal
Old 12-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #223
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

It's pretty solid there, doesn't move at all and pretty level!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #224
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
Why didn't I think of that? This will tide me over until I can get it properly installed. I don't have any significant tools at my place (the life of a nomad...).
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote