Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #29
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
for video!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #30
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmbdad71 View Post
Great build and an impressive car for sure! I'm just a little jealous.

A cam from Synergy may have just made it on my short list. Is there any reason that it wouldn't make a good choice as street cam? My car will only see 1 or 2 track days per year, but I would love to have the added power and keep it a track capable car.

If you get a chance, please post a vid of your exhaust at idle, I would love to hear what it sounds like and I'm sure some others would too.
Thanks man! This cam is ideal for the street because it has no surging issues as compared to many of the popular cams. And the broad, low end torque makes it very usable power. You can see from the forums that the trend right now is for big duration cams. Well, my friend bought too big of a cam, and after suffering with poor drivability for some time he went to Synergy and got a new cam and dyno tune. He's the one that convinced me to go with Synergy, and he was dead on. And for the times that you do track it, this cam will be gentle on your valve springs and tolerant of a missed shift without ruining the springs or god forbid having a valve to piston collision.

I've seen a number of builds where people installed monster cams have even done heads and their power and torque results are not much greater than mine. Why sacrifice low end torque and drivability if you don't have to?

Here's a number that surprised me - my peak speed at Buttonwillow Raceway was 113 MPH before the cam/longtubes/CAI and 130 MPH after! I also added R compound tires which I'm sure contributed to the improvement on the road course.

I'll try to shoot a vid of the exhaust note and post it soon. It has a nice muscle car lope to it, no mistaking it for the hollow smooth stock sound it used to have.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #31
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I'm thinking they will be on my list of people to talk to when I go cam shopping in about 6 months. I'm looking to either do head work or TFS GenX's, with that. I like the way you describe this cam though.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #32
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I'm thinking they will be on my list of people to talk to when I go cam shopping in about 6 months. I'm looking to either do head work or TFS GenX's, with that. I like the way you describe this cam though.
I was going to do heads too, but both Synergy and my friend talked me out of it. Save the money, the stock LS3 heads flow so well you'll only get a small improvement for your cash outlay.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #33
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I was going to do heads too, but both Synergy and my friend talked me out of it. Save the money, the stock LS3 heads flow so well you'll only get a small improvement for your cash outlay.
That's something to consider. I'm trying to hit 500/500 though. I have in my mind (but I need to research things first) that I want to do the following...

1) Intake... I already have the ADM Race intake.
2) Ported TB... I already have a Vmax
3) Pfadt LT's... I plan on doing this in November with a tune.
4) Either Lingenfelter Ported heads or TFS GenX 255's.
5) Cam to be determined which one.
6) Depending on what happens at SEMA I'm interested in the new Dual Plenum intakes that are supposed to be released. As it stands the FAST doesn't offer enough improvement to justify the cost.

You know about my suspension and Aero plans. I've already got brakes covered. I'm thinking wheels might be in order to run 305's all around.

Just so you know if you meet my wife and she might want to hurt you because of the damage to my bank account your car has inspired... Yes I know I plan to go an extra step or two but it's all your fault. At least that's what I'm telling my wife....... LMAO!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #34
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
That's something to consider. I'm trying to hit 500/500 though. I have in my mind (but I need to research things first) that I want to do the following...

1) Intake... I already have the ADM Race intake.
2) Ported TB... I already have a Vmax
3) Pfadt LT's... I plan on doing this in November with a tune.
4) Either Lingenfelter Ported heads or TFS GenX 255's.
5) Cam to be determined which one.
6) Depending on what happens at SEMA I'm interested in the new Dual Plenum intakes that are supposed to be released. As it stands the FAST doesn't offer enough improvement to justify the cost.

You know about my suspension and Aero plans. I've already got brakes covered. I'm thinking wheels might be in order to run 305's all around.

Just so you know if you meet my wife and she might want to hurt you because of the damage to my bank account your car has inspired... Yes I know I plan to go an extra step or two but it's all your fault. At least that's what I'm telling my wife....... LMAO!
Nice plan! If our ladies got together we'd both be in the doghouse! Mine is running thin on patience, but she wants to come out and watch me drive one day. So she's still cool, I just don't want to push her over the edge.

Here's what I did to keep peace- When I attended the Ron Fellows driving school, which is just outside of Vegas, we tacked on a weekend getaway for Vegas. She flew in Friday eve right after class and we had a blast in Vegas.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #35
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Nice plan! If our ladies got together we'd both be in the doghouse! Mine is running thin on patience, but she wants to come out and watch me drive one day. So she's still cool, I just don't want to push her over the edge.

Here's what I did to keep peace- When I attended the Ron Fellows driving school, which is just outside of Vegas, we tacked on a weekend getaway for Vegas. She flew in Friday eve right after class and we had a blast in Vegas.

Good diversion methods... I have Skip Barber down at Sebring I believe. I need to do that early next year. I would love to go to Boundurant in AZ though.

I'm the type that get's the car where I want it quickly then I drive the wheels off of it for the next decade.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #36
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Good diversion methods... I have Skip Barber down at Sebring I believe. I need to do that early next year. I would love to go to Boundurant in AZ though.

I'm the type that get's the car where I want it quickly then I drive the wheels off of it for the next decade.
I'm the same. A few items left on my list - lightweight seats that accept a 6 point harness, aero, and a roll bar. My lady is pushing for the roll bar, I tend to agree. It's adding up, yikes.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #37
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Is the cam similar to a 227/235 in size? :P Thats very good power and torque, and not too harsh on the valve train, very nice!!

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #38
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
Is the cam similar to a 227/235 in size? :P Thats very good power and torque, and not too harsh on the valve train, very nice!!
That's right in the ballpark, no reason to go any bigger
Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #39
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Would a FAST intake and 102mm throttle body make a difference with your setup? I am still working out a spreadsheet of parts to buy for my 1LE
Old 10-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #40
Orange Crush 1LE

Hi all,

A number of you have requested info on my cam. It's called the:

Track Cam from Synergy Motorsports. It's a new design, not yet on their website. Call them to order it. They don't give out the specs on their cam, but the dyno results speak for themselves. Excellent streetability too, no bucking or surging issues, nice muscle car lope.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #41
sdmbdad71

Drives: 2013 VR 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
for video!
Me too....

Hey Orange, how about it? Have you had a chance to get an exhaust vid?

Still in awe of your build, .
sdmbdad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #42
Orange Crush 1LE

Here's the vid. Love the idle, somewhat choppy but no drivability issues. It shakes the car a little at stop lights, you feel like you are driving a beast. This is a grown-up's muscle car. No surge or bucking, smooth driving and tons of torque when you put your foot in it.

Here's what it sounds like from inside the car. This is at Buttonwillow Raceway:

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 11-03-2013 at 02:00 PM.