Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
69 Camaro 09

Drives: 69 Camaro, 010 2SSRS
Will i hook up?

Hey guys, tracked my Camaro once so far and couldn't hook up on the street tires (even at 17 pounds in them). I am looking into a drag radial and coming up with the Nitto 555R, 305/35/R20.

I am running at 470rwhp, and will probably plan to be around 510

Do you think i will hook up with the Nitto?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Camaro 09 View Post
Hey guys, tracked my Camaro once so far and couldn't hook up on the street tires (even at 17 pounds in them). I am looking into a drag radial and coming up with the Nitto 555R, 305/35/R20.

I think those small sidewalls are going to hurt you. It will be tough, but you should be able to get in a good run or two IMO.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Depending on how often you are going to take it to the track, you may want to consider the smallest diameter wheels you can fit that will clear the brakes. Other than that, the Nittos are presently (I think) the widest drag radial that will fit the Camaro. Getting power to the ground is always a challenge.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Unless you are putting those on the stock rims, you should find a set of 18's that will clear the rotors, then get a similar od tire for those rims. If it is a street car you probably want a different set of tires/rims for the track anyway.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Sounds like a good problem to have. What mods have you done to boost rwhp by 100? I agree that a set of 18" for the track as wide as you can get and just get some drag slicks for the track. Why mess with the drag radials if it is going to just be at the track on them anyway. The drag slicks will be a better buy and you will get max bite and should be good to go will into the higher rwhp numbers you are seeking. And you will be able to enjoy those smoking hot burnouts without chewing away at the tread. Love hearing about this type of problem.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
SSRider

Drives: Black 2SS RS M6
Quote:

Obviously if you can find a better wheel/tire combo that will hook up, that will be better than what I am about to suggest. I would and have done this. This advice assumes you are not using launch control successfully or you have an A6.

Get with your tuner and log some launches, two or three. Then have your tuner take out some timing just in the area of the timing table that generally applies to your launch in first gear. This will allow you to bring down the hp/tq a little so you can hook up better at a high rpm so as to still get off the line quickly. You may want to do this in combination with a wheel/tire improvement. I do not have my M6 SS yet so I have not been able to work with the launch control. Also could you please put your mods in your sig so we can better advise you more quickly. BTW I had very good luck hooking up my C5 with the BFG drag radial.....very sticky.

I am wondering how well the launch control is going to help with hooking up over 450 rwhp/tq??

Last edited by SSRider; 07-02-2009 at 06:16 PM.
SSRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
69 Camaro 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Sounds like a good problem to have. What mods have you done to boost rwhp by 100? I agree that a set of 18" for the track as wide as you can get and just get some drag slicks for the track. Why mess with the drag radials if it is going to just be at the track on them anyway. The drag slicks will be a better buy and you will get max bite and should be good to go will into the higher rwhp numbers you are seeking. And you will be able to enjoy those smoking hot burnouts without chewing away at the tread. Love hearing about this type of problem.
TVS 2300 got me the boost in HP/TQ. First A6 with one

I definitely agree with you guys that an 18" tire would be the best bet to go with, but i was also looking into something thicker for street use (cosmetic look wise). So i want to go with the 20" (if it will hook).

i do not have the cash to buy 18" tire AND rim to go with it :( especially if i want a new set for the street also.. Plus the car won't be at the track too often, i just really want to hook up when i make it out to the next "PINKS All out" in September.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
TVS 2300 got me the boost in HP/TQ. First A6 with one

I definitely agree with you guys that an 18" tire would be the best bet to go with, but i was also looking into something thicker for street use (cosmetic look wise). So i want to go with the 20" (if it will hook).

i do not have the cash to buy 18" tire AND rim to go with it :( especially if i want a new set for the street also.. Plus the car won't be at the track too often, i just really want to hook up when i make it out to the next "PINKS All out" in September.
For what you will spend on Nitto's you should be good to go with these and some wheels. If you shop right you could get matching stock wheels off ebay or elsewhere as guys upgrade to aftermarket. These are about 200 a tire.

With the above being said...This is an 18 inch wheel so they would not match the 20's but if someone pulled them off an ls I think those are 18" wheels. But verify that the brembo's would fit behind first before dropping money on them. With the HP you are running you need to find some way to take some of the stress off your launches. Never ever going to do that off a 20" rim and tire cause there just is not enough sidewall.

A set of these would last for years and years based on your semi frequent drag racing. But when you go you want to be able to hook it up. Goodyear has a good tire too But you are going to find the wheel sizes too small for the brakes on a lot of tires. Nitto is one of the few that you will find 20's with. But they are so very proud of them and the compound is pretty darn hard cause they want you running them on the streets as well. They say 15k miles but that must be on a cooper cause everyone I know burns them up in under 10K. You have a good post here and I look forward to some of the real drag guys posting up their opinions. I don't know squat about shinola but have been around a few tracks learning for years. Good luck
Attached Images

418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Go over on the corvette forum and see what drag radials they are running...that will give you a pretty good idea of what to do.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
I'd say don't do the 555R's. They are a pretty hard compound and I ran them on my Cobalt and they wheel hopped and wouldn't hook much better than my normal 555's I run all day long.

The normal Nitto 555 is an amazing tire though for Daily Driving and weekend "joy rides". It lasts a really long time for such a tire (over 40k and still tons of tread! like 40% still left!) And they grip nice as long as it's not to cold out. I have had success with the normal 555 and have purchased a second set (18 inch) for my Cobalt.

The 555r on the other hand was pretty much a slightly better drag version of the 555 and didn't last long nor did it help really at the track.

I'd try to find a cheap set of 18 inch wheels that will fit on the brembos and run a real cheater slick or true slick with a lot more side wall. You will like it more in the long run and the effect on your times will be impressive! plus they will last seasons and seasons while the 555r won't last very long! Good luck!
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
SubSolar

Drives: 2009 Corvette, 1987 Buick GN
With all that power on tap you should definitely get a good set of track wheels and tires to maximize gains. What track did you go to? I use to go to school in Palos Verdes.
SubSolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
no, 20" nittos will not hook up with 470rwhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsdguru View Post
31000 for ss1 no options and who in the hell would buy a SS1 V6 for kids SS1 for girls LS3 the only way to go G8 Gxp 200lbs more my bad so lets think here 200lb more 27 less hp so 5 tenths slower now 373 gear now mabe 3tenths slower 4 door car sad so so sad
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
69 Camaro 09

Thanks for all your help and input guys, i think im going to go with a MT ET Street Radial II, 305/45/18. Shouldn't have any problems there

SubSolar, i go to Fontana to race (AutoClub DragWay, or w.e its called haha)

I will just have to accept that my new street tires and rims won't be around for a while :(
Old 07-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:

First, you should never reduce the air pressure on a street radial tire, it does not hep you get a better footprint and, in fact, has an opposite effect.

A drag radial is certainly going to help, but Nitto, IMHO, is not the best option out there. However, since it looks like you want to keep the 20" wheel on the car at the track, it might be your only option right now.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote