Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Exclamation belly pan

So the more I learn about this 2014 ZL1 Convertible I have placed an order for, the more I get disappointed. First I learned I have no PTM, then I am governed at 155, and now NO Belly Pan? Is this true?. Someone told me, it will have the engine belly pan, but not the one infront of the transmission. Anyone know for sure?.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
TripleBlkZL1

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10 & 18 2500HD Duramax
Yes it's true

2018 2500HD Duramax
TripleBlkZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Emvici

what is true? no belly pan?, belly pan only infront of engine? or has complete set of belly pans?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
what is true? no belly pan?, belly pan only infront of engine? or has complete set of belly pans?
Perhaps you should go to a dealer or go back to the dealer and actually look under the car since you ordered one? No PTM, no complete belly pan due to bracing needed for the convertible and speed limited.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
This is why you should research what you are buying. If you wanted all that stuff you should have bought the coupe.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2016 Denali HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
This is why you should research what you are buying. If you wanted all that stuff you should have bought the coupe.
x-2
G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Emvici

The dealer didnt have one on the lot to look at. I did research it as best I could on the internet, but alot of these things were not mentioned very clearly. For instance I believe I saw a few Quotes from Al, saying that the Convertible would have the PTM.. also the dealer didnt know half the answers himself, So it wasnt as if I didnt try. I was even told I could get Recaro seats. I put in the effort to learn, its just most of the people do not know the real answers.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
I'm not surprised by that, most dealers don't know much about it even after it being out two years. For example, once you receive the car make sure they take out the spring spacers before you drive it off the lot. There is no PTM modes on Verts, 155 is their max unless you get the car tuned aftermarket. I'm not sure about the belly pan.

This is the underside of a coupe:

You should still have the belly pan you see here on the vert, but I can't say for sure.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Ask yourself this...are you really going to take the car up to 155 mph anyway? Only a handful of ZL1 owners on this forum have exceeded this speed. There's really no place to drive this fast outside of the Texas mile or a closed racetrack in the US. The advantages of the belly pan don't really show up until triple digit speeds. It would be nice to have the PTM, belly pan, and a higher top speed limiter, but they aren't necessary.
DangerZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
So the more I learn about this 2014 ZL1 Convertible I have placed an order for, the more I get disappointed. First I learned I have no PTM, then I am governed at 155, and now NO Belly Pan? Is this true?. Someone told me, it will have the engine belly pan, but not the one infront of the transmission. Anyone know for sure?.
Why'd you get the convertible?
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Ask yourself this...are you really going to take the car up to 155 mph anyway? Only a handful of ZL1 owners on this forum have exceeded this speed. There's really no place to drive this fast outside of the Texas mile or a closed racetrack in the US. The advantages of the belly pan don't really show up until triple digit speeds. It would be nice to have the PTM, belly pan, and a higher top speed limiter, but they aren't necessary.

I'm willing to bet that the aerodynamics work efficiently well before reaching triple digit speeds. Try sticking your hand out of the window at 70mph, how much wind is buffeting against your hand?
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I'm willing to bet that the aerodynamics work efficiently well before reaching triple digit speeds. Try sticking your hand out of the window at 70mph, how much wind is buffeting against your hand?

I believe that Al had stated that the down force doesn't start until around 130 MPH anything below that probably isn't sufficient enough to make a difference.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Emvici

I wanted to get the convertible partly because I have never owned one before, second because I think having the option to put the roof down is nice, and lastly because I never thought GM would shave off all the nice extras that the coupe has.
Also I would like the Belly pan regardless of how I will drive it, because to me, thats what a ZL1 is, its not half of a race car, it is a whole race car. GM please learn to build a complete car. especially when I am paying 65k for it.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
I wanted to get the convertible partly because I have never owned one before, second because I think having the option to put the roof down is nice, and lastly because I never thought GM would shave off all the nice extras that the coupe has.
Also I would like the Belly pan regardless of how I will drive it, because to me, thats what a ZL1 is, its not half of a race car, it is a whole race car. GM please learn to build a complete car. especially when I am paying 65k for it.

You are not getting it, Chevrolet could not put those on the vert because of safety requirements. They cannot let a convertable do 184 MPH stock they would violate safety rules. The belly pan wouldn't fit because of structural changes they had to make to reinforce the car becuse it has no roof. The rev limiter is there because it is not safe to drive a convertable above that speed. And I am sure the PTM is effected by that also that is why it is not included. Chevrolet did not choose to shave off those nice extras they are mandated to.