Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
Opinions on modded Camaros for sale

I've been looking at Camaros for 10 months. My finances are getting close to where I can pull the trigger.

It seems like you can get a nicely modded camaro for great prices. Having cam, long tubes, heads and a tune pretty reasonably.

My question is how do you know the precious owner did it right? You'd hate to have a cluster f##k on your hands.

What your opinion.

I'm looking at 2013-15 1le's.
Glassman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
There's no real way to know. All you can do is ask the right questions. Did they do the work or have a professional speed shop do it? How long ago did they have it done? Do they have receipts? But even if they answer everything right the car could still be nothing but problems and just the opposite, someone could have done it in their garage with their drunk neighbor and it could be perfect. When I bought mine I preferred one will no mods just so I knew what I was starting with.

BTW welcome, we need more representation from the Denver area.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
TXSheepdog261

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
If buying from an individual, they should have paperwork of what and where they had the mods done. I bought a '14 1le and it had a few mods done and I love it. I bought it from a dealer so no paperwork on who did what but from what I could tell it was all bolt on stuff. I didn't want a car that had the engine opened open, I want to do that myself. Good luck and when you find one and you have worries, take it to a mechanic that you trust to check it out and if the seller won't allow it, I say walk away.
TXSheepdog261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
What was done, how it was done and by whom are just the start. I would say how it was used is equally important. I have had a few mods done, all professionally by highly respected shops and I have all the receipts. But the car hasn't been pampered. I beat the crap out of it. I know it can take but if something does break, I get it fixed.

You can have all the documentation in the world but you will never know how it was driven.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
Glassman66

Good point on how hard it was driven. Your not gonna put all that into to it and let it sit in the garage.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
Glassman66

BTW welcome, we need more representation from the Denver area.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Is it 4:20 yet?
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman66 View Post
I've been looking at Camaros for 10 months. My finances are getting close to where I can pull the trigger.

It seems like you can get a nicely modded camaro for great prices. Having cam, long tubes, heads and a tune pretty reasonably.

My question is how do you know the precious owner did it right? You'd hate to have a cluster f##k on your hands.

What your opinion.

I'm looking at 2013-15 1le's.
Once you get into the motor you wont know anything until you contact the shop that did the work. If the owner did a cam himself I would think twice. At least a shop can tell you exactly what they did. Boltons shouldnt bother you to much.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:59 AM   #9
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Get it up on a lift & have someone check it out thoroughly.

An example why:. I was hot to buy a 67 Camaro RS from an old man down the street. The exterior looked almost perfect with just some Rust showing below the top. The interior looked excellent I would have rated it an 8 out of 10. I was ready to hand over the money but I decided to have my cousin put it up on his lift and check it out from the underside. My cousin kept shaking his head but I wasn't sure if he was liking the car or hating it. Well he hated it, the body parts were all aftermarket except for the driver's side front fender.

The sheet metal fit was awful, huge weld seams & then 200LBS of roof sealer/tar. It was slathered between the body panels. Instead of trying to fit the body parts he got them close enough & then smeared the roof sealer to try to cover all of it up.

Hear is an 80+ year old guy that I have been his neighbor for over 30 years and he was ready to rip me off telling me that 90% of the car was original. I was so pissed off at the guy that I never spoke to him again. I think he is in a assisted living facility now & the Camera is still sitting in his garage covered with a sheet & nobody lives there now.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
IMO never buy a modded car, there are many lower mile used to get. Modded you never know what your getting or what can of worms you'll be opening.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #11
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I would not buy a modded car, simply because I do not have an assurance that the mods were done right. There are exceptions, however.

I would buy a dealer modded car, such as a SLP or Nickey Camaro, because I would have a warranty to back me up. When I spend a certain amount of money, I expect the car to operate flawlessly. Its hard to guarantee this with a modded car.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #12
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
The saying "buyer beware" should be reworded to "buyer be cognizant". If you do your home work by researching and asking the right questions you could end up with the car of your dreams.

I have only done bolt on mods to my car and no engine mods. I take extremely good care of my car and don't abuse it. My car would be an excellent buy for someone, if I was selling it. They are out there.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #13
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I bought my car last summer with 16k miles on it and tasteful mods. It really does depend on the mods - in my case the car had quality parts, and they appeared to be well installed. For me, that's a win, the first things I would have done with this car were already handled - I netted a few thousand dollars worth of mods at no cost.

I do agree that modifications do usually equal someone that may run their car a little harder at times. I'm also a firm believer that there is a dramatic difference between running the car hard, the way it was designed, and all-out abusing a car. I run my car hard at times, but I certainly don't abuse it.

I also think that, for the most part, the guys that mod their cars are also the guys that tend to use good fluids, and keep them fresh. These guys tend to be more "aware" of what's going on with their cars, and less likely to tolerate issues.

Ultimately, there is no way to 100% know with a used car, modded or stock, what you're getting into. Make good observations, about both the car, and the seller, and see what you can learn. If you're not 100% comfortable, look for a different one. For me, I was comfortable with my seller, and the modifications on the car, and came out way ahead.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #14
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
How do I feel about mods? I'm fine with it. I will not buy a car though that isn't stock. To me mods are something you do for yourself. You aren't going to recoup that money in a future transaction. Just my opinion
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote