Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Painting your new Camaro?

Does anyone think that you lose value when you have to have your Camaro painted? For door dings, rock chips etc.....
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Dack

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Dack
Not sure about door dings or the latter but I sure will lose value when I get it restored after some dumb broad performed a hit and run on me and denies everything to the cops.
Dack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Yes, you'll loose value, unless you plan on keeping the car for a long time. Original paint is usually worth more money on trade-in or for resale. Anybody buying a car is going to question whether the car has been wrecked if there's been a repaint. However, looking at a hood or front bumper that's chipped up isn't appealing either. You'll have to weigh the cost of the repaint and the decline in value versus the added appeal of less nicks and chips. I think about this almost every time I wash my black car and see more primer showing through.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Nah.
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Well, Some on here have had their stripes painted on. And paint work is paintwork, correct. My car had a door ding right in the body line, problem is it took off the paint. I have had varying opinions on this, one says you lose 5k, others say to document the ding and fix it, it really depends on the quality of the repair.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I'd say painting on stripes would fall under custom work, not potential collision repair, and probably wouldn't affect the value. It really depends on who's buying the car, the quality of the paint work, and how much of it as been repainted.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
seeknay2000

Drives: 1978 Z28, 1987 Suburb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
Well, Some on here have had their stripes painted on. And paint work is paintwork, correct. My car had a door ding right in the body line, problem is it took off the paint. I have had varying opinions on this, one says you lose 5k, others say to document the ding and fix it, it really depends on the quality of the repair.

The answer really depends on the buyer. For instance, if it's a couple of rock dings, I'd value a car that was not repainted - that way I can see the actual damage. Other buyers may prefer that the body is in perfect, 'new-like' condition...

basically I think everyone will be 50/50 on this. Use your best judgement. A perfectly painted car looks great and is valued high, but if it's covering up damage, it could be a concern to buyers.

*Also, note that painting car damage/accident is really different than painting a rock ding, which is hugely different than painting stripes.

Damage = Hug red flag,
Rocks Dings, scratches = 50/50 preferance, it's juts cosmetic normal wear and tear
Stripes = as someone mentioned, customization
Old 03-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

The ding was the size of a dime, but right in the body line on the door which made it look worse, plus being a dark color made it even worse. I took picture from every angle and put it in my Camaro file for later.

Want to know the funny thing about this. I drive this car once a week if the weather is nice to work, and everyone at work knows to stay away. A visitor came and did this. Now here's the funny part, she said it was my fault, you got it my fault, wnat to know why? of course you do, she said it was my fault because I drove the car and if I didn't want incidental damage then I should not drive it, needless to say I had to walk away and get to a happy place until the police arrive to make a report.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
seeknay2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
The ding was the size of a dime, but right in the body line on the door which made it look worse, plus being a dark color made it even worse. I took picture from every angle and put it in my Camaro file for later.

Want to know the funny thing about this. I drive this car once a week if the weather is nice to work, and everyone at work knows to stay away. A visitor came and did this. Now here's the funny part, she said it was my fault, you got it my fault, wnat to know why? of course you do, she said it was my fault because I drove the car and if I didn't want incidental damage then I should not drive it, needless to say I had to walk away and get to a happy place until the police arrive to make a report.

wow......i hope you learned your lesson so I guess it's kind of like your fault that burgular robbed your house because you know - you didn't have tripple pain glass to stop him, so.... wow, taht's all I can say
Old 03-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeknay2000 View Post
wow......i hope you learned your lesson so I guess it's kind of like your fault that burgular robbed your house because you know - you didn't have tripple pain glass to stop him, so.... wow, taht's all I can say
Yeah that was all I could say, she first started with " It's only a car....." because she couldn't understand why I was so upset. I told her you have to drive it or it will rot to the ground, then she said that all it needed was a good detailing. I said for what it doesn't have a speck of dirt and besides you can't buuf a dent , and detailing doesn't put paint back on the car. She is lucky I was at work or that little dent would have caused me to put my foot on her door, probably good that I was at work.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
seeknay2000

that's why I love older cars though - they actually had an interesting article out although I can't find it now - something about the average cost to replace a bumper from 80s was $90.00, today it's $850.00. Not sure of exact numbers, but the article was about cost of replacing parts. Today, even a small ding/dent could run hunreds of dollars.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
ScottyScooter

Drives: Mazda RX-8 R3
It would definitly increase your value. Who in their right mind would actually pay more to have a big dent in the door vs having a car that had been repaired?

Custom stuff like stripes, color changes, ect is going to hurt your resale...unless you are able to find the right buyer.
ScottyScooter is offline   Reply With Quote