Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
05SilverStreak

Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
Tire Sensors and Rotation opinions needed....

Ok I will try to make this short. My "service tire pressure system" light went on and it doesn't read tire pressure anymore. I don't guess anyone knows how to disable it so the alarm and auto start works either. I have one of the late 2011's that needs the TPMS tool. So here is my question: I have read a few places that Camaro owners are now trying to get more tire tread life by rotating right to left cause you can't go front to back. The guys who put my tires on recomended if I rotate left to right they have to remove the tires and "flip them over" because the balance wont be right if they dont due to the fact they will be spinning the opposite direction. Does anyone agree with this and have you had it done? I dont want to open a can of worms where I get steering wheel vibration by not doing the right thing. AND does anyone know how to disable the tire pressure system so the remote features work? Thank you.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
There's steps to reactivate them yours is not broken you just need to reactivate them. By letting air out from each tire in a specific order

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
05SilverStreak

That doesn't work for me, I have one of the late 2011's so it has to be the tool. Already tried that but thanks anyway.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
If your tires are directional then they would have to take them off the rims and remounted correctly so when you swap sides they will still be rotating the same/correct direction. My stock pzero's are not directional so I just do a side to side swap and they spin in the opposite direction. I have done this a few times per owners manual, I have about 24K on them and it looks like I might get 30K out of them(maybe). As far as the tpms I would take it to the dealer or back to the tire shop and have them reset the system. Hopefully that's all it needs.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SilverStreak View Post
The guys who put my tires on recomended if I rotate left to right they have to remove the tires and "flip them over" because the balance wont be right if they dont due to the fact they will be spinning the opposite direction.
Correct me if I am wrong but when they balance a tire it's balanced to spin true. It should not matter what direction they are spinning.
I have swapped my stocks with no issues. But someone please educate me as well if I am incorrect.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
TPMS can not be disabled. Your either going to have to fix it or live without auto-start. I'd swing by a tire store and get them to try a reset first.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but when they balance a tire it's balanced to spin true. It should not matter what direction they are spinning.
I have swapped my stocks with no issues. But someone please educate me as well if I am incorrect.
Some brands of tires are "Directional" they are made to only be mounted so the tire spins in one direction, usually noted by an arrow on the tire. If you mount them or rotate them into the wrong direction they can actually start to come apart internally.

On a side note if you buy a set of non directional tires and mount them on a stagger set up like the Camaro SS has, with some manufacturers the factory warranty won't cover them any longer as they can not be properly rotated.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
You do not have an aftermarket stereo do you?
I have been having TPMS issues ever since installing my Scosche headunit.
Apparently that can happen with the Scosche.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSarge View Post
Some brands of tires are "Directional" they are made to only be mounted so the tire spins in one direction, usually noted by an arrow on the tire. If you mount them or rotate them into the wrong direction they can actually start to come apart internally.

On a side note if you buy a set of non directional tires and mount them on a stagger set up like the Camaro SS has, with some manufacturers the factory warranty won't cover them any longer as they can not be properly rotated.
Sorry should have cleared that up. I was referring to the OEM Pirelli P-Zero's. They are non directional, and if balanced correctly they should be able to be swapped drivers to passenger (front to front and rear to rear).

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #10
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
Sorry should have cleared that up. I was referring to the OEM Pirelli P-Zero's. They are non directional, and if balanced correctly they should be able to be swapped drivers to passenger (front to front and rear to rear).
If they are the same size as far as the tire and wheel width yes you are correct. However I don't think I want to put the 8" front wheel in back and the 9" in front on my SS it might look funny..
Old 04-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
I had a similar situation like this happen this after noon. I finally scored another set of matching 275/40/25's so I can run them on all four corners.

At the tire shop I had them take the existing rear tires and move them to the front. They balanced the new set of rims I got and put them on the rear. After going about 10 miles the front TPMS quit displaying the tire pressure of the front tires and the "Service" message came up on the DIC.

Any clues? Simple reset?

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
05SilverStreak

Ok here is an update to my issue. And no I don't have an aftermarkrt stereo. I took it this weekend to the placethat mounted the tires and they came up with nothing. He tried the manual reset and also used the TMPS tool to do it and came up with nothing. He said the sensors were transmittig to the TPMS tool just fine. It was the car that wasnt picking up the signal. So I dont know......I even changed the tune back to stock and reset the trouble code it was throwing because of the TPMS. SO who knows, Im not going back to the dealer cause they will screw it up more probably.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
Tate

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
I also have a late 2011. The first year and a half I didn't have a single problem with the tire pressure system. But in the last year ive been to the dealer five times. They reset it and it will last a day or two. The car is out of warranty this month so I guess they win.