Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 06-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
svtjackal

Drives: 2010 SIM camaro-2001 svt Lightning
One of our own, serious crash at the strip... Walks away.

This video is of one of our own members and part of the H-Town camaro club. Glad to see he's OK.

-GTAHVIT-

Thankfully not mine, this are some vids a member of the Lightning forum took while he raced his lightning vs a camaro SS, good news camaro was winning, bad news... Well look at the Vids

Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin Camaro Owners check out www.chicago5thgen.com

Last edited by svtjackal; 06-20-2011 at 10:27 AM.
svtjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Deleted because I let my mouth over rule my brain.

Last edited by Huggerorange73; 06-19-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
You gotta pay to play.
I can't even come up with an appropriate response for how innappropriate this is...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I thought this was about me for a second. Look how well the cockpit held together. Wtf happened?
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Thats horrible, looks like tire spin on the top end. Hope the driver is ok.
He is making the most hp he can when the tires break free.... I hate seeing that... your at your peak power when you cross the line.. moisture on the track.. cold air setting in causing a little condensation maybe or something.. making more hp due to the colder air.... really really hate seeing that. Its a helpless feeling when they break free at that point.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
kaler

Drives: 2011 Dodge 3500 dually Mega Cab
It looked like mechanical failure to me (way to much smoke to be tire spin) hope he is OK.
kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
thats definitely possible.. ... tire spin and then the fishtailing can make that much smoke too... I've left so much smoke from a tire spin before that it actually stopped traffic.. not good what ever happened though thats for sure
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
RX SS RACERX

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
You're both right....I meant no ill will towards the driver of the SS.

I apologize for the context of the remark...it was directed at some comments directed towards me earlier on another forum.
Kudos to you seeing the 'light'. The other forum 'issue' must of been just as outrageous! You're previous posts have always seemed in sync with the situation. I certainly want to believe everyone on this forum only feels sympathy for the OP plight! We all know this is a possibility when we hit the track. We just hope it's the other lane & the OP is OK! Speed is good-Goodluck is speed. GOOD LUCK to ALL!
RX SS RACERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
JETG

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Depending on insurance company he is with and as long as it was not a "timed event" his insurance would still work to replace the car. Thank god it wasnt worse, as material things can be replaced..
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
So...no one knows what happened?

With how immediate that smoke came on I'm just going to guess that he may have blown the motor putting oil down on the motor and tires.

We all know that we take this risk even getting on the track. We just hope it never happens to us and really sucks when it does. I'm glad posts like this are few and far between.

Hopefully insurance will help out in some way but my guess is they won't.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
JETG

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
So...no one knows what happened?

With how immediate that smoke came on I'm just going to guess that he may have blown the motor putting oil down on the motor and tires.

We all know that we take this risk even getting on the track. We just hope it never happens to us and really sucks when it does. I'm glad posts like this are few and far between.

Hopefully insurance will help out in some way but my guess is they won't.

Depends on who the insurance company is, as I stated as long as it isnt a actual timed event some will cover it. By timed, what I mean is not just a slip time, but if it was a bracket race or something of that nature that is an actual race, they wont cover it. Since this was a test and tune night, he should be okay depending on his insurance company. Just glad that Chris is okay, as material things can be replaced and people cant.

J
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Wow...that is just HORRIBLE. Words cannot begin to describe how bad I feel for the owner and driver of that Camaro.

And Huggerorange73 is right - you do pay to play...his remark IS justified as the driver knew what could happen when you line up on a track against another driver...and he/she also knows that the penalty can be to your pocket. I hope that the owner driver is both o.k. and insured for the incident...and glad he/she was racing on a track...and accident like that on the street would have killed somebody just watching!

JETG...did Chris state what happened? I feel horrible for him!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
JETG

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
Wow...that is just HORRIBLE. Words cannot begin to describe how bad I feel for the owner and driver of that Camaro.

And Huggerorange73 is right - you do pay to play...his remark IS justified as the driver knew what could happen when you line up on a track against another driver...and he/she also knows that the penalty can be to your pocket. I hope that the owner driver is both o.k. and insured for the incident...and glad he/she was racing on a track...and accident like that on the street would have killed somebody just watching!

JETG...did Chris state what happened? I feel horrible for him!

Only know what has been posted, Mlee would know more on what all happened. This was at test tune midnight madness at LMP. I just firgured out who it was. But from what has been said and the video, I would "speculate" that the motor gave and oiled down the tires and you see the result of the accident. From my understanding the car flipped a few times after going over the guard rail, as past the 1/8 mile it is just a guard rail.. Chis was running a whipple and in the neighborhood of 630+ rwhp, and had a cage in the car.

J
Old 06-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
svtjackal

Drives: 2010 SIM camaro-2001 svt Lightning
Here is what the lightning owner posted on the lightning forum after he talked with the driver on the camaro, I guess the roll cage saved his life.

Quote:
Well Last Night I wentout to Sealy, TX Lonestar Motorsports for some Racing. I entered the DR class which waspretty fun Humidity was 92% freaking bad. Well anyways who cares about what I ran lol.

I was in theSecond Round I think and I was Lined up with a whippled Camaro making 635rwhp Had a Roll Cage I think 5 point. While we are going he quickly leaves my ass. Well Let theVid speakfor it's self.

I just got lost in all the smoke

I Got Off running looking for the car which flipped about 6 to 7 times. The Only thing that saved him was the Cage, so PLEASE FOR THE ONES THAT HAVE FAST TRUCKS GET A CAGE. You know who you are lol.

Anyways the man was pretty Lost, Nothing happened to him justa broken thumb and scratches. his friend had just told me a Trannsmission shop had just rebuilt the tranny.

Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin Camaro Owners check out www.chicago5thgen.com
svtjackal is offline   Reply With Quote