Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Hooy
Will Drive For Food

Drives: Acura TL
Charger SRT8 vs Camaro SS vs Mustang GT

So I test drove a Mustang GT and a Charger SRT8 today... and lets just say that the Camaro definitely needs to step up to the SRT. That thing was monstrous fun. Exhaust was amazing, too.

And the salesman at the Ford dealer said the Camaro was too flashy!

I think I'll go test drive a G8 tomorrow/Thursday...

Thoughts? Suggestions on what to go drive?

3/2/09 edit:

I drove a Challenger SRT8, Charger R/T, G37, and TL SH-AWD.

Honestly, I liked the Charger more than the Challenger. It's more practical, and imo, sounds better. I did have fun revving exhaust at a stop light into the face of a portly woman driving a drop top Porsche, though.

Last edited by Hooy; 03-02-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Hooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
gac458

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro
Did you say Charger SRT8?? I would have thought you meant Challenger but you did said Charger???? I don't think there is any comparison between the Camaro and the Charger! Buy the way, you do realize it is a Dodge, I know it is hard to tell the difference between any of their cars since they all look the same on the inside. You did say Charger...........right? I bet this is a thread to make us all laugh cause I am laughing my a** off right now. Good one!
gac458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
I think a bunch of people here will tell you to get the Camaro. And Flashy? Wow I don't take that from it. Have you seen one in person. I think the SRT8 will be the one who needs to step it up after the Camaros hit the streets! It is your car but I think the Camaro is the only choice IMO.

Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
And you really can't say the Camaro needs to step it up unless you've driven one which I doubt you have.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
So I test drove a Mustang GT and a Charger SRT8 today... and lets just say that the Camaro definitely needs to step up to the SRT. That thing was monstrous fun. Exhaust was amazing, too.

And when did you happen to drive a production Camaro SS to make this kind of comparison?
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
Melson

Drives: Wild Cherry
If I had to choose a Dodge it would be the Challenger over the Charger....Im just glad I dont have to make that choice.....
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Before passing judgement wait and test drive a Camaro if you can find one. Or if you ordered then I'm not sure why your even posting this, because the Camaro rocks. No disrespect just saying.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:

Find a used Shelby GT500 if anything. They're in the $33-38k range now and can probably be had for slightly less given the styling update. Don't care about any "rustang" garbage, those GT500s are very, very, very quick.

By the way, you should expect the Camaro SS to be even quicker than either Charger SRT8 or Challenger SRT8 given the weight difference.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Guys.

He drives an Acura TL. Of course he is shocked by the Charger. It has torque, something the Japaneese have yet to figure out how to translate into their language.
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Something sounds fishy ...
Quote:
While living without internet access for a while (check whenever my last post was), I realized how much I missed this forum. I want something to show my endearing love for the Camaro, and the forum that's taught me so much.

Mugs, caps, shirts, key chains, bath robes, condoms, banana hammocks, whatever. If you make them, I'll buy them.

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I really give the the fun factor 7 1/2 -10 for my charger

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:

You didn't expect him to tell you to go buy one did you? Of course he'll say that, if he wants to eat.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
Dopplermatt
Camaro Lover

Drives: Blue and silver Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Dopplermatt
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
Before passing judgement wait and test drive a Camaro if you can find one. Or if you ordered then I'm not sure why your even posting this, because the Camaro rocks. No disrespect just saying.
damn straight bro +1
Old 02-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
gigemrick

Drives: Frontier 6" lift 33's, 03 GSXR
Last time i checked the SRT8 came in at a 0-60 at 4.7 while the SS is "estimated at 4.6?" either way its within ticks of if not faster than the SRT8 in a straight line. The GXP even has better numbers that the SRT8! Sounds like you need to test drive a couple more cars including the SS to get a complete description of your title. Good luck!

Ordered: 3/09
Black 1SS
2 Tone Gray/Black Interior
Polished Wheel Upgrade
RS Package
Hurst Option
gigemrick is offline   Reply With Quote