Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
How to adjust front camber?

Got my car aligned and they couldn't figure out how to adjust the front camber. Can someone enlighten me on how to do it? Don't you just loosen the strut knuckle?
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
GreyLS3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Id find another shop,because they obviously don't know what they are doing. lower bolts on shock
GreyLS3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Both bolts on the strut lower connection point needs to be loose the top bold of the 2 can be moved inner or outer until correct camper degree is achieved then tighten. Some shops just shouldn't be in business.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Well it was a friends place so I gave them
The benefit of the doubt. I figured that was how you do it. I should have just showed them.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
oh sorry about that didn't mean to insult your friend forgive me. Also I would advise you to take it and get a proper alignment from the dealership or a good shop, guess work is not good here.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Haha no. Insult away. It was a friend of a friend deal. I wanted it done right! Lol
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Haha no. Insult away. It was a friend of a friend deal. I wanted it done right! Lol
If you're in SD you've got an option of a couple different shops to get it done right. CMS Motorsports in Murietta has a lot of experience with the Camaro and should definitely be able to get your alignment dialed in correctly.

To directly answer your question it's just as the posters above have mentioned, loosen the bolts at the shock mounts and the assembly pivots. It's pretty easy, and similar in adjustment to any other MacPhearson strut assembly.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Got my car aligned and they couldn't figure out how to adjust the front camber. Can someone enlighten me on how to do it? Don't you just loosen the strut knuckle?
The 5th Gen Camaro, the Pontiac G8, the Pontiac GTO and the new Police Caprice are the easiest cars in the USA to set front camber. You use the camber screw in the knuckle.

It is a 10mm 1.5 pitch screw / bolt.

Loosen both clevis bolts. Use and extension on your socket wrench to reach through the wheel spokes with the alignment heads mounted. Turn it to the right and you decrease camber. Turn it to the left to increase camber. Get it exactly where you want it and tighten the clevis bolts.

It is all in the THE Book on 5th Gen Suspension right here on Camaro5.

Last edited by JusticePete; 02-14-2012 at 08:16 AM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LSX Dr. View Post
I'm starting to think he may be mistaking Caster and Camber...
There is no caster adjusstment on the 5th Gen as it delivers from the factory. You can use Pedders Caster eXtreme Range Eccentrics to create caster adjustment. Drill holes on either side of the radius arm bolt.

Grind out the material between the holes. Grind all the way to the fence for optimal adjustment range.

The slot is good to go on the left, but it needs a bit more material removed on the right. Install Pedders eXtreme Range Caster Bolts. They are sold with 10mm 1.5 Camber screws.

It is all in the THE Book on 5th Gen Suspension right here on Camaro5.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Turn it to the right and you decrease camber. Turn it to the left to increase camber.
HUH? Threading the bolt into the knuckle against the strut (to the right) will push the knuckle out (this causes camber to go positive/increase) and threading the bolt out (to the left) allows the knuckle to move inward (this causes camber to go negative/decrease)....

So I disagree with your wording above unless you meant to say "decrease negative camber" and "increase negative camber"...
Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
HUH? Threading the bolt into the knuckle against the strut (to the right) will push the knuckle out (this causes camber to go positive/increase) and threading the bolt out (to the left) allows the knuckle to move inward (this causes camber to go negative/decrease)....

So I disagree with your wording above unless you meant to say "decrease negative camber" and "increase negative camber"...

I must have missed the part of your post where you said thank you for posting a picture showing the location of the camber screw and explaining how to use it. I know you were thinking that so I'll say you're welcome.

Camber is adjusted on an alignment machine, or with plumb-bobs or with camber gauges. The corresponding result of a turn in or turn out of the camber screw will be clear to the technician.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LSX Dr. View Post
Yes I know there is no caster adjustment from the factory. That was my point. I cannot believe that a alignment tech could not figure out the camber.
Most technicians rely on the how to adjust section of the alignment machine software. The camber screw is not listed for the 5th Gen nor are the slots in the clevis. The camber screw is not available as a part for the 5th Gen. The use of the camber screw is not in the GM shop manual, or wasn't when last I checked. Slots in a strut are nothing new. Not all cars come with slots for camber adjustment. If they don't and experienced tech will create a slot. To save money, a lot of cars leave the factory without camber and caster adjustment. They have only toe.

Not only did Chevrolet leave out the camber screw, they installed fences for Caster adjustment with a round hole so it cannot be adjusted with grinding.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

I must have missed the part of your post where you said thank you for posting a picture showing the location of the camber screw and explaining how to use it. I know you were thinking that so I'll say you're welcome.

Camber is adjusted on an alignment machine, or with plumb-bobs or with camber gauges. The corresponding result of a turn in or turn out of the camber screw will be clear to the technician.

Well, there are those of us who have done alignments for a living and don't need pictures and your explanation was flawed

You are always so quick to take offense to any correction and can never just deal with it nicely. Like saying "whoops, you know that's right".
Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Well, there are those of us who have done alignments for a living and don't need pictures and your explanation was flawed

You are always so quick to take offense to any correction and can never just deal with it nicely. Like saying "whoops, you know that's right".
Oh sir, forgive me. Please post your mobile number here in the thread so I and other C5 members can call you for editorial assistance before we post.