Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
5thGenCamaroChick
Hey y'all :)

Drives: Rosalee
Question about torque.

Can someone explain torque to me in simple terms? I was lurking over at the mustang forum (yeah, I like those too, it's all good) and there was an article about whether or not the 2010 Mustang is faster than the Camaros and Challys (I know, done to death). Anyways, one of the posters pointed out that mustang had more torque and weighed less. Specifically:

"camaro LS and LT (v6 models) has 273 ft-lbs
the SS will do 408 and 395, (with LS3 and L99 respectively)

mustang v6 has 240 ft-lbs (dont call them a torque monster for nothing)
mustang gt has 325 ft-lbs (with the 2010 tune)
shelby GT500 has 480 ft-lbs

Chally SE (v6) will have somewhere around 232 ft-lbs (if they use the 3.5L)
chally RT has 404 ft-lbs
chally srt8 has 425 ft-lbs"

So based on this am I to assume the lower torque number is better? I will allow that I really don't know much about cars, and really didn't care to learn until I got Rosalee. Now I'm interested and need some learnin'.

BTW, the current results on the mustang forum were...

Question: Can the 2010 Mustang compete with the 2010 Camaro and Challenger, dollar for dollar?

1. Yes, the price makes up for the power difference. = 49 votes

2. No, it's still going to be slower, model for model. = 97 votes

3. I don't care, it's still better than no increase in power, and I want the 2010 mustang. = 21 votes

Here's the link if anyone's interested. http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/2...g-compete.html

I really do like the new 'stangs and Challys (nowhere near as much as my Rosalee, though). I was behind a red 2010 stang yesterday driven by a very young teenage girl. She had put bumper stickers (not magnets) all over the back of that gorgeous new car. Shame, really. The only other one I've seen in person was grabber blue. Not a fan of the color. I like the sequential tail-lights though.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
I am trying to figure out a way to answer this so that you will understand how a torque curve works...in my world though lower torque is not better.. below is a saying that may help

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
torque is rotational force. horsepower is almost the same as torque axcept horsepower is relative to time.
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
HP is what gets you from point A to B, torque keeps you there.

Horsepower is how fast my Camaro can hit your Japenese car, torque is how far I can push said Japanese car.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Not an expert by any means, but my understanding of this was the more torque a vehicle has, the more get up and go it will have Could be wrong.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
bdg

Drives: 2010 camaro
Torque gets things moving and horepower picks up speed. The heavier the car the more torque you will need to get it moving.
bdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
In simple terms.....More torque = good!

Torque gets things moving and horsepower keeps it going.

On a street driven car, more torque makes the car feel quicker because it gets you off the line quicker.

Case in point - most trucks have lots of torque because they are used to haul and tow things and you need the torque to get it all in motion.

This isnt a super definition, but gets you the idea of what torque does.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdg View Post
Torque gets things moving and horepower picks up speed. The heavier the car the more torque you will need to get it moving.
thats what i was trying to get at, thanks
Old 10-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
By definition torque is a twisting or turning effort...... The more torque you have the better.... Big numbers is good ....
Old 10-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
ACDC1710

Drives: 1968 Camaro RS, 2002 Trans AM
That question is a hard one to answer and explain you can do many searches and all give similar answers but still all hard to wrap your mind around. Torque - is basically the rotary force being produced by the bottom end of your engine to do work or basically get all the weight and rest of your drivetrain to start moving. Horsepower - is basically helps to do the work quicker or accelerate. Comparing a diesel to a gas engine can somewhat give you a lil better idea. A gas engine has lighter parts or less rotating weight and usually has higher horsepower than they have torque. A diesel engine has heavy bottom end parts resulting in less horsepower than torque. The diesel can pull trailers, and do more work but gas engine can out accelerate the diesel.
ACDC1710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
TORQUE=POWER

HORSEPOWER=SPEED
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
ElAntonius

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
Torque is the rotational force that the engine can apply. Horsepower is (Torque * RPM)/5252....which means that the current horsepower you are making is based on both how fast your engine can spin and how much force it can apply.

The general wisdom goes: "Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races"...that's somewhat true, although it can be misleading.

Now, horsepower is really an estimate of the engine's actual power delivery characteristics...lets put it this way...

Imagine you are in a race to remove a bolt using a wrench. To win, you'll need to be strong enough to turn the wrench and loosen the bolt, and you'll also need to be able to spin the wrench fast enough to remove the bolt faster than the other guy.

Torque is your ability to muster enough strength to turn the wrench, while horsepower is a combination of that strength, plus your ability to move the wrench around quickly. It doesn't matter worth squat if you can't turn the bolt quickly because you aren't strong enough, so high torque allows you to maximize the speed you can turn your arm at.

All things considered, higher torque is really the number you most care about for immediate acceleration...torque is what gets you nice 0-60 times, while horsepower dictates what your trap speed is in the 1/4 mile.

Edit: Also, the L99 has 410 lb*ft of torque. It makes less horsepower mostly due to the lower redline of the L99 as compared to the LS3.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Thanks, guys for explaining torque...

I must admit that I knew what HP meant, but not necessarily what torque meant...

I just knew, from my "gearhead expert" son, that the Camaro torque was very good...

Now I know WHY...
Old 10-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
5thGenCamaroChick
Hey y'all :)

Drives: Rosalee
Cool, got it, thanks. Still the question about the numbers though. Is a lower number better than a high one, as suggested by that mustang forum post?

ie: the v6 camaro has 273 ft-lbs and the v6 mustang has 240.