Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Drilling for adjusters after BC coilovers were installed(pics)

So installed a set of BC coilovers not too long ago and have removed the rears at least 4 times now to adjust the dampening. I've decided that I'm not going to waste my time and effort anymore and just drill the darn thing. But I didn't want to tear down the suspension again to drill the holes for the dampening adjustment. So I decided to drill from the top. It took me about 25 minutes from start to finish. I looked at some pictures online from other people that drilled theirs to get an idea where the top of the coilovers were. I found out that there is not much clearance at all from top adjuster to the trunk. It might have 1/4" of clearance it seems. So a conventional hole saw isn't going to work here. You will drill into the coilovers. Not good! So here is how I did it.

First I removed the battery from the trunk so that I could get into it. Please don't try this unless you are of smaller stature like I am. If you are a bigger feller, you need to fold down the rear seats and access it that way. Then you won't need to remove the battery. For me, I found that it was easier if I was in the trunk.

Now here is the hole saw that I used. I could not find for the life of me a hole saw that has a short drill until I went to Orchard supply hardware. As you can see from the pictures below, this hole saw allows you to drill into the trunk without making the drill bit go too deep. Also see the picture of the packaging incase you want to get this exact hole saw.

Now I used some pictures that I saw online as a reference. But here is my advice. Drill 1/2" to the RIGHT for the driver's side and 1/2" to the LEFT on the passenger side relative to my pictures. I have no problems accessing the knobs but for those that want it REALLY centered, do as I advised. I know there are a few of you out there that are more anal than me. Trust me. My pictures might make it appear that the adjustor is centered, but since it slants, when you go and put the adjustor on, it won't be perfectly centered. It does not affect the function at all...just for those super neat freaks out there

IMPORTANT!!! When you are drilling the holes out, make sure to not drill the hole out completely. You want to drill it so that a small portion of it is still attached. Imagine opening a can of corn. When you open it, you don't cut the lid all the way. You leave a little bit of metal left so that you can lift the lid off with it still attached to the can. If you don't do this, the "lid" will fall in. GOOD LUCK GETTING IT OUT. After you got a little bit of metal still holding the "lid" in, take a screw driver and put it through the hole that was made by the drill bit. Then pry it back. Then twist and turn it until it comes off.

Passanger side

Driver side

Now after you are done drilling, you will notice that there are metal shavings everywhere. Take a vacuum to it. It won't be able to get all of the metal shavings off. But what I did was take my magnetic screw driver and used it to "attract" all the little dust particles. Did a pretty damn good job if I don't say so myself!

All cleaned up with the adjusters in

Now to find some 2" grommet and some anti-rust enamel to cover the exposed metal rim where we cut.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Nice write up. I'm think the hole could have been slightly smaller. I will wait for Mike @whiteside to chime in.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I weighed the option of drilling a smaller hole. IMO, 2" is the smallest you want to go. You still have to get your fingers around the knob to adjust it and 2" is exactly right. Any smaller and you're going to have problems getting your index and thumb around the adjustor if the hole is too small. I won't know how you're going to cut a bigger hole if you cut a smaller one and decided that it is too small.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
I weighed the option of drilling a smaller hole. IMO, 2" is the smallest you want to go. You still have to get your fingers around the knob to adjust it and 2" is exactly right. Any smaller and you're going to have problems getting your index and thumb around the adjustor if the hole is too small. I won't know how you're going to cut a bigger hole if you cut a smaller one and decided that it is too small.

Nice job on the install! I will echo what you're saying. We tried a smaller hole but 2" is about the smallest you can go as your fingers have to be able to turn the knob.
Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote