Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
To Clay or Not to CLAY?

After a long wait I'm finally picking up my Camaro Tomorrow I’ve meticulously inspected the vehicle, and the body feels like smooth glass. Is there any reason I should clay this vehicle now? I was thinking just Z-2 Zaino polish and hit with Z-6… What do think?
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
well first off you should not touch your paint for at least three months. its still wet and fresh. you can was the car but no wax. also have no reason to clay the car maybe after 6 or 7 months of driving then clay.

example i barely tap my front garage door and where it touched the paint came off cause it was fresh. now picture waxing and clay baring. i will say i did put the spray wax on thats detailer and wax mix but lightly.

after all is said i am answering your question from the knowledge of a body shop owner who i am very cool with and showed him my car and also mentioned the same thing i am going to put a nice layer of wax on and everybody sad don't touch the paint for a good three months.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
well first off you should not touch your paint for at least three months. its still wet and fresh. you can was the car but no wax. also have no reason to clay the car maybe after 6 or 7 months of driving then clay.

example i barely tap my front garage door and where it touched the paint came off cause it was fresh. now picture waxing and clay baring. i will say i did put the spray wax on thats detailer and wax mix but lightly.

after all is said i am answering your question from the knowledge of a body shop owner who i am very cool with and showed him my car and also mentioned the same thing i am going to put a nice layer of wax on and everybody sad don't touch the paint for a good three months.
I'm not doubting what your bodyman said, but not sure if that's entirely true. A spayed finish at a bodyshop should not be touched or waxed until the paint is cured. A factory finish is baked on and can be waxed at the time of delivery. Most dealers wax the car before you pick it up, and even apply the plastic "protect o coat" sealer if you pay for it. A factory paint job can be treated very differently from a paint job at a bodyshop.

I'm sure others will chime in, but I don't think I'm wrong on this.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
NYCSRTATE

Drives: Future ZL1 or CTS V Owner
I clayed my car as soon as I got it and the clay bar was full of rail dust, if your going to start the Zaino process do it the right way and clay the car first.

Im on coat 15 with Z5 and Z2, use the ZFX too cuts the cure time down to 10 minutes.

And 67 is correct the factory paint job is baked on so you can do as you wish to it.
NYCSRTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
Yep, clay bar it as soon as you get it then seal that paint.
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I clayed mine when i got it and got nothing on the clay bar. . . nothing at all.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
sav1

Thanks for the help fellas. I'm thinking that if I clay the car, I'll have the same result as Franknbeans.... nothing at all on the clay. Isn't the clay just to remove grit.. How much really could have got on the vehicle.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
Thanks for the help fellas. I'm thinking that if I clay the car, I'll have the same result as Franknbeans.... nothing at all on the clay. Isn't the clay just to remove grit.. How much really could have got on the vehicle.
could be a lot more than you think...but it could be clean too...if you have the time then go ahead and do it
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
Quote:
It removes tiny contaminants. If you clay and you pick up stuff, then you got a cleaner car. If you clay and the bar is clean when you're done, well, you gave your arm some exercise and you've bonded with your car!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
sav1

Sounds like a work out. What the hell... long weekend coming up. CLAY it is. then Zaino polich, Zaino detailer.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Sounds like a work out. What the hell... long weekend coming up. CLAY it is. then Zaino polich, Zaino detailer.
I'll "echo" the sentiments above; clay the car. It's truly very easy to do. Just make sure to lubricate the surface as you're claying.

I'd recommend;

1. Wash the car
(its not necessary to dry after the initial washing)

2. While the car is wet, I begin claying, spraying an area about 6" x 6" with a mixture of carwash and water solution, while moving the clay across the surface with minimal pressure. *Check the clay often for debris*

3. Wash the car after claying, and dry.

4. Begin adding coats of Zaino, not to exceed 3 coats in 24 hrs.

The biggest "time consumer" I find is the time needed for the polish to dry, but ZXF will quicken the drying time. As a rule, I generally allow 1 hr. between coats.

Its really not difficult as you'll find once you start.

Please let me know if I can help you along the process.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
I did a Dawn wash, Clay Bar, Zaino wash and 2 coats of polish in about 3 1/2 hours. I started at 8:30 in the morning and was done at noon. It was all pretty easy and actually relaxing.

I'm glad I took the time, the car looks great and I keep getting compliments.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I'll "echo" the sentiments above; clay the car. It's truly very easy to do. Just make sure to lubricate the surface as you're claying.

I'd recommend;

1. Wash the car

2. While the car is wet, I begin claying, spraying an area about 6" x 6" with a mixture of carwash and water solution, while moving the clay across the surface with minimal pressure. *Check the clay often for debris*

The biggest "time consumer" I find is the time needed for the polish to dry, but ZXF will quicken the drying time. As a rule, I generally allow 1 hr. between coats.

Ed

I never heard this before to use water/soap with claybar (sure would make life easier). When I bought the mothers claybar it said to use spray detailer. Honestly its a PITA to clay bar doing the car that way, so just washing and not drying but using claybar instead sounds like an arm (and money) saving idea!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
sav1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post

I'd recommend;

1. Wash the car

Ed

Thats a great help, I will be following these instructions