Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #29
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Note... The engine cover still looks as good as the day it was finished. No problems from the heat

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #30
firengnred

Looks great Axtion!

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #31
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
I am looking to paint my v-6 engine cover what paint should i use if i dont want to sand it?
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #32
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I think the Rustoleum for Plastic will be fine. Just make sure to clean it well before and READ the instructions on the can. Follow what is says and you'll probalby be okay. I think that might be the issue on my job. After reading it carefully I see where it said to put a 2nd coat on within the hour or wait 48 hrs. Neither of which I did and that's what probably caused my issues.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #33
Axtion

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS
Went a little crazy and did the Fuse Box Cover.
Attached Images

Axtion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:47 AM   #34
firengnred

I did mine too but i shot it with clear coat to see how much i liked the glossy look before possibly shooting the engine cover... I am so glad i didn't shoot the engine cover first! The paint krinkled on the fuse box cover within seconds. Now I gotta get a new fuse box cover.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #35
dirtydogg

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by firengnred View Post
I did mine too but i shot it with clear coat to see how much i liked the glossy look before possibly shooting the engine cover... I am so glad i didn't shoot the engine cover first! The paint krinkled on the fuse box cover within seconds. Now I gotta get a new fuse box cover.
the problem you are having is that they are two different types of paint.(ie; enamel or lacqure) these types don't mix. read the label and be sure you are trying to apply the same types.
dirtydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #36
caverman

Well.....I finally got mine painted. I think my issue was that I didn't follow the paint directions. It said to apply the 2nd coat within the hour. I ended up sanding it down pretty good, wiped it down with only a wet paper towel, and waited until is was sunny and about 65 outside. I then laid down 3 coats of the Red plastic paint 30 min appart (leaving it out in the sun). I then laid down 2 coats of gloss 30 min appart and it looks good now.

I'm working on the rest of the cover now and I'll post up pics once it's done. It will probably be next week because I'm going to get some vinyl lettering done and the lettering probabaly won't be here until next week.

It's starting to come together though.

So.....moral of my story.....follow the directions on the can!
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #37
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Exactly how did you guys change the color of the lettering for the word CHEVROLET?
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #38
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Exactly how did you guys change the color of the lettering for the word CHEVROLET?
I think most are using a paint pen. I tried that and it didn't turn out very well for me. It ran off in some spots and was un-even to me. Might paint pen skills obviously are not good enough to do it to where it didn't look like I did it with a paint pen. I ended up sanding it off and I'm going to put on some vinyl lettering instead. It should look smoother that way. I'm also going to get "Performance Division" put on underneath the Chevrolet. I'll be posting pics once mine is all done.
Build Journal
Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #39
RedJewelrsss32

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel Camaro
Good clean work Thinkin the beer helped
Old 03-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #40
firengnred

Quote:
Good clean work Thinkin the beer helped
Didn't hurt

Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #41
firengnred

Quote:
I just used a wide tip Sharpie permanent ink marker.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #42
calinkaos
Army EOD Vet

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS blk/blk/blk
I must say amazing job. and the fact you drink blue moon with it makes it even better