Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Cats

Can someone provide me some knowledge about converter removal on this car? I thought I read somewhere that removing the cataylitc converters is a very bad idea on forced induction cars because of the heat?

Can someone confirm or deny this?

Yes, I know its illegal but as people have seen in my previous posts, this will be a track car and will not need to be inspected.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Cats' need heat to operate correctly. However - there are parameters in the PCM that keep enough fuel in the motor to keep the cats' from over-heating.

If you don't have to worry about smog or inspections, then get some long tubes on that thing!!! Removing cats' won't hurt anything except Mother Earth (if you believe that...), but you might have a problem with warranty, and probably need to have a custom dyno' tune in order to take full advantage of the substiantial flow increase.

Moved to Mod' Section

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
You'll be fine.

radz28: from Sacramento huh? I'm from there too
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
toilets

Sorry, should have posted in mods. Thanks for moving it for me.

I also heard headers as well was a no go.. Maybe because for me the money you can get power elsewhere for cheaper. May just need to go hf cats instead. Better for environment and won't smell like gas I guess
Old 02-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4lyfe View Post
You'll be fine.

radz28: from Sacramento huh? I'm from there too
OH YEAH?! SWEET! Are you serving? How'd you end up in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post

I also heard headers as well was a no go.. Maybe because for me the money you can get power elsewhere for cheaper. May just need to go hf cats instead. Better for environment and won't smell like gas I guess
WRONG. Long tubes are about the best bolt-on you can do for power without really adding additional stress to the motor. You are actually making it more efficient, so long as there's a good tune to keep the A/F and spark in optimal range. People have actually recorded gains in fuel mileage, too (me included).

High flow cats', IMO, aren't really worth the expense. OEM cats', nowadays, actually flow respectably. If you're environmentally aware, leave the OEM ones on there. High flow cats' don't burn-off the excess emissions as well, so that kinda' goes against your concern.

Having see what you've posted - I'd say leave the OEM cats' alone. If you want some more power, ARH has released CARB-legal shorties that bolt right-up to the OEM cats', give at least 10 RWHP (on a stock SS - ZL1s haven't, obviously, been tested yet) and you'll probably find more on a SC motor. Shoot - you might consider some pulleys to add a little more boost, too.

Just remember - you could be sacrificing warranties by mod'ing, so keep that in mind.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Quote:
You want as much flow as you can in a SC car. Engine is an air pump with another one bolted to it. The better it breaths the more power you make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
OH YEAH?! SWEET! Are you serving? How'd you end up in the UK?
Yes I am. In the Air Force.

Quote:
WRONG. Long tubes are about the best bolt-on you can do for power without really adding additional stress to the motor. You are actually making it more efficient, so long as there's a good tune to keep the A/F and spark in optimal range. People have actually recorded gains in fuel mileage, too (me included).

High flow cats', IMO, aren't really worth the expense. OEM cats', nowadays, actually flow respectably. If you're environmentally aware, leave the OEM ones on there. High flow cats' don't burn-off the excess emissions as well, so that kinda' goes against your concern.

Having see what you've posted - I'd say leave the OEM cats' alone. If you want some more power, ARH has released CARB-legal shorties that bolt right-up to the OEM cats', give at least 10 RWHP (on a stock SS - ZL1s haven't, obviously, been tested yet) and you'll probably find more on a SC motor. Shoot - you might consider some pulleys to add a little more boost, too.

Just remember - you could be sacrificing warranties by mod'ing, so keep that in mind.
I agree..
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4lyfe View Post
You want as much flow as you can in a SC car. Engine is an air pump with another one bolted to it. The better it breaths the more power you make.

Yes I am. In the Air Force.

I agree..
Sweet. If I had a regret in my life, it was not serving...

Regardless - thank you for your service and I hope you come home safe

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Sweet. If I had a regret in my life, it was not serving...

Regardless - thank you for your service and I hope you come home safe
Thank you! Thanks for the support.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
toilets

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about power as I think I will have my hands full already. So let's talk sound? Stock cats with headers. Am I gonna hear a difference. I want loud.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
so does anybody know if the mid piped are the same on the ZL1 as on the SS's?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:

I would say it depends on what your end power goals are. I bet the stock manafolds can support a good bit of horsepower so in that respect, yes, if you don't want the added cost, it may not be needed (depending on what power you are looking to make). Case in point was my 04 cobra, I put high flow cats and magnaflow catback on but kept the stock manafolds. I only did a ported blower so was at about 509rwhp and 520rwtq .. however many with upgraded blowers (whipple / KB) hit 600rwhp with no issues using the stock manafolds. At a point it will be a restriction.

I would say you could run Long Tubes and no cats and not hurt anything as long as you tune for anything you must tune for as well. Just because of the blower doesn't make it unsafe (I would state the above statement for a tune as well for a N/A car).

EDIT: I would like to state though, if you do free the exuast up, you may see the boost pressure go down (while making more power). That is always good for the motor ...

Crowley
Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

If you're talking after the cats', to the mufflers - they are different. There are no resonators and the pipe angles look different as they pass around the differential and it's cooler lines.
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
toilets

Cool pic, but actually talking about the catalytic converters themselves. Ie if I decided to go HF cats or just a complete removal.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Cool pic, but actually talking about the catalytic converters themselves. Ie if I decided to go HF cats or just a complete removal.
Ask and thou shall receive (thanks to Dragoneye )
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"