Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #239
pdoherty972

Drives: 2013 370Z sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Automatics do not perform around a track. They are straight line vehicles. A manual, when driven properly, will decimate an automatic. They don't belong in track-oriented types of cars because the shift points will never be optimal, no matter how good they are programmed. They are not faster, and won't be anytime soon, so it is an invalid comparison.
Well, that's just wrong. Automatics are faster around tracks, too. For example I think the best lap times for the new Vettes is using the A8 automatic.
pdoherty972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #240
pdoherty972

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
There's some serious internet manual transmission driving skillz on display up in here!
Way too many youngsters who think driving a manual is something special; some of us are old enough to have been there and done that and realize how fast autos are becoming (and how convenient they've always been) and are opting for autos sometimes.

Driving a manual or auto isn't the d!ck-measuring contest they think it is.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #241
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post
Way too many youngsters who think driving a manual is something special; some of us are old enough to have been there and done that and realize how fast autos are becoming (and how convenient they've always been) and are opting for autos sometimes.

Driving a manual or auto isn't the d!ck-measuring contest they think it is.
Exactly. I'm VERY guilty over the past 20 years of driving of having the attitude that "oh look at that Camaro/Vette/Mustang, it's an auto so that person sucks" type of attitude but guess what? I'm starting to finally come around. For me, the main reason I'm coming around is because automatics are so much better than they used to be. I can no longer use the excuse that in the same car, a manual will be faster.

That said, I still would never even consider buying a Fox body (really the only Mustang I would buy) or 3rd/4th/5th Gen Camaro with an auto. But a 6th gen? eh, maybe. I'm considering it because of my commute and the fact that the autos have really come a long way. In the end I'll test drive both and make my decision at that time.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #242
pdoherty972

Quote:
Blaming the auto tranny on courses that should be run with an M6 is irrelevant. An auto is useless for anything but driving mindlessly in a straight line. Manuals should be compared. No one with any soul is going to test drive one of these cars with an automagic. Could you imagine Randy Pobst running a track with an automagic when there is a perfectly viable M6 option? Laugh.
Maybe because a manual helps perpetuate the image that there's lots of things one needs to be good at to drive a car well/fast? That is what he does for a living. I wouldn't exactly expect him to embrace things that make him seem less skilled.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #243
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Quote:
If you are that incapable of driving a manual due to pain, you probably shouldn't be driving, period, but I digress. Then again, the physical incapability to drive has never stopped anyone from getting a driver's license. I doubt there are many one-legged race car drivers out there. Don't you?

Automatics do not perform around a track. They are straight line vehicles. A manual, when driven properly, will decimate an automatic. They don't belong in track-oriented types of cars because the shift points will never be optimal, no matter how good they are programmed. They are not faster, and won't be anytime soon, so it is an invalid comparison.

This isn't an opinion. Automatic transmissions are not used in a track-oriented cars for performance sake. They are there for sales. Most Americans are incapable of driving a manual transmission. It is simply for sales numbers and revenue. If cars were designed solely for performance, track cars wouldn't be offered in an automatic.
You're off base. My dad drove an auto because he had polio in his left leg. He learned on a manual and had to Push his leg down with his hand. Woukd you begrudge him driving an auto?A stiff clutch in traffic is torture for me. Quit making generalizations about people. And as the other poster said the at ats v is faster than the manual mainly due to better gearing, more ratios and quicker shifting in the new 8 spd.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #244
Mike00

Drives: Audi S4
Quote:
If you are that incapable of driving a manual due to pain, you probably shouldn't be driving, period, but I digress. Then again, the physical incapability to drive has never stopped anyone from getting a driver's license. I doubt there are many one-legged race car drivers out there. Don't you?

This isn't an opinion. Automatic transmissions are not used in a track-oriented cars for performance sake. They are there for sales. Most Americans are incapable of driving a manual transmission. It is simply for sales numbers and revenue. If cars were designed solely for performance, track cars wouldn't be offered in an automatic.
Hmm tell porsche that. Because they seem to disagree about what is faster around a track....
Mike00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #245
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Will take a manual any day and every day. The pure joy and control of a manual cannot be compared to an auto. I've driven auto's most my life (learned how to drive in a manual and my last evo was a manual), owned an SST (twin clutch evo) as well as driving GTRs. They are boring as hell compared to a manual. I could care less if "auto" is faster nor how much powerful a car is... Like a modded 644whp gtr. I'd take a c7 zo6 any day PURELY because it is a MANUAL. A slow car with auto is more fun than a fast car with auto. That simple.

If people are having more fun with an auto (which to me is mind blowing) so be it.... Nothing beats the fun, joy and experience of a manual and auto "best time" fanboys just need to accept that fact.

"Auto is faster than a manual at a track or drag" comment types are crazy for me. Who cares what an uber professional driver has been doing... like anyone who isn't a professional driver going to be able to touch those numbers. Yes, auto is much much easier to "achieve" great times.. Good for you. You won't be getting the joy out of a manual thus SUCKS for you.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #246
pdoherty972

You're still not getting it; a lot of us know quite well how to drive manuals and are choosing the autos. I've driven motorcycles for 25 years and have owned about five manual tranny cars. Stop assuming that everyone that chooses autos is somehow inferior to you, because that's definitely the attitude that's coming across. Which is what one typically sees in twenty-somethings that learn how to drive a manual and then disparage everyone who doesn't. Yes, they're fun, but some of us want the convenience and easy speed that comes from today's autos. I don't have to drive it like I'm pissed at it to go fast.

Last edited by pdoherty972; 10-26-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #247
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
To those of us that have had our left knee rebuilt I am glad I could get my 12 1SS Vert in an auto. No way in hell I could keep pushing the clutch pedal down. And I must say with the nannies off, the auto is just as quick if not quicker than those with a 6 speed. I am really appalled by the comments above. My 69 SS Vert had a manual and I loved it. Same with my 77 Vette and 80 Malibu Police Special. Love rowing the gears in them. Alas, my body no longer likes it. So am I to suffer since I can no longer drive a standard tranny? HELL NO!!
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #248
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post
Well, that's just wrong. Automatics are faster around tracks, too. For example I think the best lap times for the new Vettes is using the A8 automatic.
Actually no, GM actually recommends the manual for track use. The automatics just won't always put you in the correct gear, and shifting yourself is delayed. Plus, the automatics can overheat when used on a track.

Rule of thumb:

Track use - manual
Drag racing - automatics

IMO, the newer automatics have gotten much, much better. BUT, nothing can replace the fun of driving a manual.

But get what you want for whatever reason. There is no need to argue over it gents.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #249
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00 View Post
Hmm tell porsche that. Because they seem to disagree about what is faster around a track....
Why? Porsche doesn't even use automatics. They use dual clutches, which are basically manual transmissions with computer controled clutches. The automatic in the Camaro has a torque converter, two vastly different transmission types. On a side note, Porsche did try a traditional automatic. It was called the Tiptronic, and wasn't very good.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #250
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Why? Porsche doesn't even use automatics. They use dual clutches, which are basically manual transmissions with computer controled clutches. The automatic in the Camaro has a torque converter, two vastly different transmission types. On a side note, Porsche did try a traditional automatic. It was called the Tiptronic, and wasn't very good.
But that's part of the same argument of the OP. That nothing having a clutch and always manual shifts is somehow not sporty/performance or whatever point he was trying to make.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #251
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:

Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #252
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
You won't be getting the joy out of a manual thus SUCKS for you.
I can drive a manual just fine, but I find no joy in driving them on the freeway, track or anywhere else. #JustSaying.

Also, Choco is way off base in his comments above, kind of a POS thing to say and honestly, your opinion is dead wrong.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote