Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-07-2022, 06:18 PM   #1
thebluecamaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM
Service Battery Charging System- Battery Saver Active (NOOB QUESTION)

Hello All,

My 2010 Camaro SS got the "service battery charging system" on Wednesday as I was arriving home. Didn't drive the car again until Friday, when I went for a joy ride.

Again, the "service battery charging system" came up, stayed on for the rest of the drive.

About 30 mins in I got the "Battery Saver Active" message, but none of my other electrical components seemed to stop working i.e. radio, lights, dash cam.

When I was arriving home, my headlights shut off, along with my radio and other electrical features, the Stability Trak message came up too.

Is this typical for battery failure or alternator failure, OR BOTH? Do you guys have a good method to diagnose either or?

Thanks guys!
thebluecamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:26 PM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Sounds like the alternator is shot
Old 05-14-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
SOLUKY

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Go to Auto Zone, they will test for you.
SOLUKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:49 AM   #4
tmjump

Drives: 2LT Camaro RS
Hello, not sure if this is related. I have a 2015 Camaro RS. It keeps saving Battery Savar Mode Active as well. But my voltage upon once I start the car is 14.5 volts. And stays about the same during the rest of the drive.
tmjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:08 AM   #5
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluecamaross View Post
Hello All,

My 2010 Camaro SS got the "service battery charging system" on Wednesday as I was arriving home. Didn't drive the car again until Friday, when I went for a joy ride.

Again, the "service battery charging system" came up, stayed on for the rest of the drive.

About 30 mins in I got the "Battery Saver Active" message, but none of my other electrical components seemed to stop working i.e. radio, lights, dash cam.

When I was arriving home, my headlights shut off, along with my radio and other electrical features, the Stability Trak message came up too.

Is this typical for battery failure or alternator failure, OR BOTH? Do you guys have a good method to diagnose either or?

Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjump View Post
Hello, not sure if this is related. I have a 2015 Camaro RS. It keeps saving Battery Savar Mode Active as well. But my voltage upon once I start the car is 14.5 volts. And stays about the same during the rest of the drive.
Battery check for sure. OP could be alternator, but again, test battery, as well.
Tmjmp, sounds like your alternator is working correctly at 14.5. Original battery?
Old 05-16-2022, 02:27 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjump View Post
If the voltage is staying at 14.5 through the rest of the drive, then that's an indication that your battery is forever charging. After a while, the voltage should drop to 12.5 or so, when it reaches a full charge.

The charging system on our Camaro's is a 'start' charging system, where it only raises to 14.5 when the battery is getting a bit low, charges at 14.5 till it's charged, then drops down to 12.5 or so.

In your case, it seems it's always charging, indicating your battery it's getting a bit weak and made need to be changed.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 09:43 AM   #7
ticowarbird
BOHIC

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS "Enola"
I’m in the same boat. Yes I know this is an old thread. Changed alternator to HO. Changed starter. Changed battery. Installed ground from starter to body. Changed spark plugs in case those were interfering with signal. Have to go through checks wires and ground but something still causing issue. Even starting to look at ECM since I heard that could be going bad and causing the issue.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:27 PM   #8
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
The BCM and the ECM will send a serial data message to the driver information center and display this message, The SERVICE BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM message is commanded on when a charging system DTC is set/current, Scan for codes.
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:24 AM   #9
ticowarbird
BOHIC

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS "Enola"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse330 View Post
The BCM and the ECM will send a serial data message to the driver information center and display this message, The SERVICE BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM message is commanded on when a charging system DTC is set/current, Scan for codes.
The P0621 code is logged when the powertrain control module (PCM) detects a malfunction with the generator lamp control circuit.Got the code once on a scan tool and haven’t seen it since but the problem message still shows. Have an ECU in the mail, already changed spark plugs, starter, alternator, added ground from starter to body.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:06 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
If the voltage is staying at 14.5 through the rest of the drive, then that's an indication that your battery is forever charging. After a while, the voltage should drop to 12.5 or so, when it reaches a full charge.

The charging system on our Camaro's is a 'start' charging system, where it only raises to 14.5 when the battery is getting a bit low, charges at 14.5 till it's charged, then drops down to 12.5 or so.

In your case, it seems it's always charging, indicating your battery it's getting a bit weak and made need to be changed.
Some great info on our charging systems..

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245282

Tags
alternator, battery, battery charging system, battery failure