Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 10-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Damon3323

Drives: 99 S10 truck V6
Question Owning a convertible, any damage?

Well I'm interested in this 2012 LT convertible, but I
have some concerns. First off, I don't own a garage
& I was wondering if there are greater chances of
tears or any other damage from the weather. Snow, ice
& even rain/hail. I was directed to this forum because
of a previous post on convertibles. What do u recommend
for protecting the top? Tarp or some other cover?
Any advice, I'd appreciate.
Damon3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Around here it's the sun that fades the tops more than anything. I bought a sunshade cover that's made for extreme heat and sun. They sell tons depending on your location/climate. I finally just told the wife she was gonna have to share the garage with me. So the Benz or BMW one has to go outside. She kept her vert inside and SUV is outside now. Btw the sunshade did work great for the while I used.
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Haven't had any tears or anything. The only thing I notice was a creaking in the back when I drive. Now Im not entirely sure if it is the top making that noise. Probably my own fault because I go through a touchless blow dry carwash 4 times every month for the past year. So when you get the car, ONLY HAND WASH IT lol
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon3323 View Post
Well I'm interested in this 2012 LT convertible, but I
have some concerns. First off, I don't own a garage
& I was wondering if there are greater chances of
tears or any other damage from the weather. Snow, ice
& even rain/hail. I was directed to this forum because
of a previous post on convertibles. What do u recommend
for protecting the top? Tarp or some other cover?
Any advice, I'd appreciate.
PM Angrybird. His convertible lives outside. He is very knowledgeable on all things Camaro.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
croat

Drives: 2012 45th rs convertible
My convertible lives outside too. Last winter we had so much snow , ice and rain . No problems at all ! My advice to you is to use some kind of rag top protectant ( 303 aerospace protectant works perfect ) and in a case of snow fall clean or remove snow from your top asap! And DO NOT under any circumstances lower your top when temperature is below or around freezing . Doing that you may damage all bunch of stuff including your rag top !!!!
croat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Maybe consider a unique coupe, like the hot wheels edition. I don't want to discourage you from getting a vert, but if you're really concerned there are a lot of amazing options with the coupe. I like the transformers 3 edition a lot too! And the 1LE is just badass
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
damon 3323. i would be more concerned about that vert being a 2012 than the weather. please check build date so you dont buy a problem car. i just bought a new 13 vert, but mine is garaged. my gf has a sebring vert and it lives outside all the time. just keep it washed, get some of Raggtop cleaner and protectant. it is endorsed by Haartz, who makes the top. make sure top beads like rest of your car. if you get heavy snow, i would brush it off asap, cause of the weight. your vert i am sure can live outside, just extra care and keep eye on weather. obviously if hail comes, get it covered by a car cover or something. good luck! again, check build date on that 2012 though.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
PM Angrybird. His convertible lives outside. He is very knowledgeable on all things Camaro.
Thanks for the compliment. I dropped mine off this morning for a complete top and frame replacement. Mine looked and operated just fine, no leaks or wind noise at all. The only issue was a small piece of weather strip that would hang up when I would raise the top. I could poke it back in place. When I took it in I thought they would just replace the weatherstrip. The top guy took some measurements and determined the frame was slightly warped. He recommended the top and frame replacement with the latest design. I figured I would have a fight like many people before me but the GM regional service rep agreed over the phone and the new top was ordered.
The top guy determined my water management bag was not installed properly and the top caught on it where it hung up just enough to bend the frame just enough to clear. It has probably been that way since the first time the top was cycled.
As to the OP's concern, I have owned 6 convertibles that have all sat outside. As long as you use a good convertible top cleaner and treatment and never run it through a car wash you should have many years of service.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
The main thing is to remove snow immediately, as mentioned above, and not let more than 12 inches accumulate on the car (go out and clear it even if more snow is falling) to keep the extra weight off the frame. This is especially important if it is a wet snow.

Like all cars that are left outside vs garaged, the ones left to the elements will show more wear over time (including interior plastics drying/cracking, etc). Invest and use a sun visor to protect the dash and steering wheel from UV sun damage (even during the cold months). Sealants for the top will help extend the life of the top as also already mentioned.

The main reason for not putting the top down when it is below freezing is that water from rain/melted snow may have accumulated in the water management bag and frozen there instead of draining. When you put the top down the back glass may catch on the frozen puddle and break or the frame may twist or bend due to the ice in the bag. This can actually cause the frame to break if enough stress is put on the mechanism.

I have owned a convertible before that was an outdoor only car (though it had a vinyl top) and loved it, though the top life was shorter than if it had been garaged ... price I was willing to pay for the additional enjoyment of the top-dwon experience!
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote