Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
aussie

Drives: corvette69 427 roadster
RE :Z28 69 in asia

Hi thanks to everyone that posted there comments last post. I have returned from asia with the finds.
The z28 camaro is a z28 but the cross ram engine isnt from that camaro but from another 69. The muncie is from the car , I have had it quoted to have it fully restored from paint to interior to drive train.
The car is coded to be white with white interior, the car is currently green with black interior and it will be changed back to original condition.
The question is , will the car still be valuable even though the engine isnt from that car ?
I have looked at the workman ship at a body shop were the car is located and the owner has vast experience with many american muscle cars , I saw a pontiac gto convertable and many camaros and old chevs being restored i was very impressed with the workmanship.
I recieved a quote to have the car restored back to original , the car is $20,000 US , and the resto is $15,000US

I would really like to get some advise on this purchase?

ow yes and the 69 ss 396 was correct numbers matching , they wanted $13,000 US , it needed to be put back together as it was partley restored all parts were there.
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
YenkoSC

Drives: 1967 Camaro RS/SS, 1969 Camaro
If the original 302 isn't in the z28 then it does take away a bit of the value.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
If it is a real Z-28 you cannot go wrong. You say the "cross ram engine" is not the original from the car. Does this mean that it does in fact have a cross ram 302 in it now? If that is the case with original cross ram and carbs in it that setup alone is worth about $10k.

The one thing that bothers me is your quote on restoration costs. I have (2) fully rotisserie restored Camaros and know what it costs to do them right. You qouted that the restoration quote was just $15,000. In the US you could not get a correct quality restoration anywhere near this cost - you would be in the $40k-$50k range depending on the current condition of the car. Parts alone in the US market (where they are manufactured) would far exceed the $15k price tag.

Unless Asia has some market prices unlike North America I would think it would be best to buy a car already completed. It is very rare in todays market that you can build a car for what they are selling for.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
If it is a real Z-28 you cannot go wrong. You say the "cross ram engine" is not the original from the car. Does this mean that it does in fact have a cross ram 302 in it now? If that is the case with original cross ram and carbs in it that setup alone is worth about $10k.

The one thing that bothers me is your quote on restoration costs. I have (2) fully rotisserie restored Camaros and know what it costs to do them right. You qouted that the restoration quote was just $15,000. In the US you could not get a correct quality restoration anywhere near this cost - you would be in the $40k-$50k range depending on the current condition of the car. Parts alone in the US market (where they are manufactured) would far exceed the $15k price tag.

Unless Asia has some market prices unlike North America I would think it would be best to buy a car already completed. It is very rare in todays market that you can build a car for what they are selling for.
Yup, this is true. Most people who restore cars for a profit do not do frame off rotisserie restorations because it costs too much, so there's no money in it.