Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
relapsing

Drives: 2011 Silver Camaro SS
Popping Noise From Suspension?

Hey Guys,

I installed BC Racing Coils back in June and was running fine up until about a month ago. I brought my car into a new mechanic to have new tires put on + alignment + raise the height of the coils. I've noticed recently that when im either not moving or moving slowly and I turn my wheel hard to the left or right, there's a little pop noise that happens.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? I spoke with the mechanic and he said something might be loose OR that I might need spacers for my coils (?)
relapsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
kobSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Check to make sure the rotating cuff insulator bearings are installed onto the top of the coilovers. Other thing could be the spring popping out of the perch now that you've raised it.
Pfadt'ed Out Level 4, Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers, Pfadt ZL1 Sways, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, CTS-V Brakes, Borla S-Type, Quad Tips, Forgestar 22" F14's (Show), CAI Intake w/ scoop, Rx Catch-Can, AAC Lighting, Showstopper Sidemarkers

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age"

Build Thread
kobSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
relapsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobSS View Post
Check to make sure the rotating cuff insulator bearings are installed onto the top of the coilovers. Other thing could be the spring popping out of the perch now that you've raised it.
Thanks thats helpful! - If it is the spring popping out of the perch, what would be solution??
Old 01-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
Tighten the sway bar end link nuts and confirm spring preload was set properly. It's likely one of the 2 unless the shop dorked up something.

It wouldn't be popping out of the perch while not moving and just turning the wheel. If there is zero or negative preload then there could be enough slop in the spring that when going over bumps it would unload/shift but I don't see that as the issue based upon your description. Stock springs can pop out of the perch easier but these coils have flat tops.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
relapsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Tighten the sway bar end link nuts and confirm spring preload was set properly. It's likely one of the 2 unless the shop dorked up something.

It wouldn't be popping out of the perch while not moving and just turning the wheel. If there is zero or negative preload then there could be enough slop in the spring that when going over bumps it would unload/shift but I don't see that as the issue based upon your description. Stock springs can pop out of the perch easier but these coils have flat tops.

Hmm okay thanks i'll bring all these up when I bring it back to the shop.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
Ifnyou have aftermarket sways and endlinks check the endlinks especiallynif they are pfadts
Old 01-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
GreyLS3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
endlinks

Mine did the same thing and it was one loose endlink in front. I had torqued it but evidently needed just another 1/4 turn. tightened it and no more pop. good luck
GreyLS3SS is offline   Reply With Quote