Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #1
Matt8892

Drives: 2010 2ss RS. White (RIP) 2012 LS3
Mileage at which lifters should be replaced with new cam?

I had a 2010 that I cammed at 15k miles and didn’t have lifted replaced. The new car (2012 ls3) has 55k on it and will have closer to 70k by the time a cam gets put in. I’ll obviously be going with all the other supporting mods, a lot of which some may already consider unnecessary.

Just wondering what everyone’s opinion is on what I consider a slightly higher mileage car to be cammed. My engine builder/tuner said they won’t do a cam without doing lifters if the car has 100k plus on it. They also said new cam springs and all that will obviously show any weaknesses in the old lifters.

It’s an extra 1200 to have lifers replaces at the time of the cam. They’re also suggesting porting heads which is another 1200. So looking at 2300 for cam. Plus 1200 for lifters. Not gunna bother with porting heads for an additional 1200. Can’t justify that cost for maybe 20 more rwhp.

So just looking for opinions on replaying lifters or not on a car with 70k before cam.
Matt8892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Im old school, but I would be doing lifters at that mileage. Hell, I would most likely freshen up the entire motor at the mileage if I was wanting to make more reliable power than I had before.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
I'm with Motorhead, I would change lifters out at that mileage. Last thing you want is causing unnecessary wear on a new cam. You could always make the call once you are in and inspect each one with a flat edge but then you run into potential delays waiting for the lifters if you decide you need them. You could order and inspect and possibly return them if they are not opened. Personally, I have never seen lifters with any significant miles that did not show some signs of wear unless it was a roller. Not sure I would go further in the engine unless I was looking to build serious power. Otherwise, I would not crack open the rest of the engine.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I know a GM Mechanic. Those DoD/AFM lifter fail when they get high miles.

What also fails is the needle bearings in the rocker arms.

Some folks are going with bronze bushings in the rockers. Long read: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...nion-kits.html

http://www.straubtechnologies.com/ls...ts-with-bolts/

I'm trying a set of these with TSP VVT 3.2 cam and DOD delete kit on a set of Trick Flow GenX 255's: https://www.texas-speed.com/p-6147-t...oller-tip.aspx
Attached Images

Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
No brainer, Matt. He doesn't have to deal with the AFM/DOD stuff with the LS3, but changing the lifters is worth it, and IMO, shouldn't run you anywhere close to $1200. I would upgrade the springs and swap out the rocker arm bushings as well.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
Matt8892

I asked my builder/tuner about rocker arm upgrades or bushing upgrades. His words were “stock is where it’s at. We don’t touch rocker arms on any of the vehicles we do”. So I’m under the impression to not touch rocker arms.

Also the 1200 for the lifters is as follows: “Cadillac racing lifters. Gm head gaskets. Gm head bolts. Professional installation”.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #7
Matt8892

Breakdown of parts and cost

Attached Images

Old 12-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt8892 View Post
I asked my builder/tuner about rocker arm upgrades or bushing upgrades. His words were “stock is where it’s at. We don’t touch rocker arms on any of the vehicles we do”. So I’m under the impression to not touch rocker arms.

Also the 1200 for the lifters is as follows: “Cadillac racing lifters. Gm head gaskets. Gm head bolts. Professional installation”.
I don't know what the percentage of failures are, but if I'm going with a cam and rev'ing higher, I'm not taking any chances.

http://www.gm-efi.com/tech/why-upgra...s-rocker-arms/

But do what you think is right for you and your budget.

I'm not willing to roll the dice, however, because a trunion upgrade is cheap insurance against an oil pan full of needle bearings casing possible engine damage.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
to answer your original Q op, IMHO anything over 20k or if cam being pulled shows signs of excessive wear on the lobes...

CTSV lifters...you plannin on runnin it over 8k? Or road course at high rpm's for extended periods? If not waste of $$$ IMHO...stock lifters are awesome, after market more $$ personal preference and intended use...

more important is replacement of the lifter BASKETS! cheap and brain less..

replace head bolts with ARP..

replace rocker bushing with brass...cheap insurance..

replace stock P/R's with STRONG ones, don't want any flexin. measure after heads are back on!

if possible stick with beehive springs, again personal pref.

Most important is who is doin the tuning? If you don't already have this covered give dynoSteve at RDP a shout, easy to talk to and I personally attest to his skillzzz!

good luck op, keep us updated..peace out!
Old 12-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
Matt8892

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
I don't know what the percentage of failures are, but if I'm going with a cam and rev'ing higher, I'm not taking any chances.

http://www.gm-efi.com/tech/why-upgra...s-rocker-arms/

But do what you think is right for you and your budget.

I'm not willing to roll the dice, however, because a trunion upgrade is cheap insurance against an oil pan full of needle bearings casing possible engine damage.
Exactly why I’m asking. If lifters should getvreplaed, which is what I’m leaning toward anyways, and finances didn’t work out right now I would save longer. It’s that simple. Not trying to cut corners and ruin an engine. That’ll cost more in the long run anyways. I’m all about over building and ensuring reliability with anything I do.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #11
Matt8892

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
to answer your original Q op, IMHO anything over 20k or if cam being pulled shows signs of excessive wear on the lobes...

CTSV lifters...you plannin on runnin it over 8k? Or road course at high rpm's for extended periods? If not waste of $$$ IMHO...stock lifters are awesome, after market more $$ personal preference and intended use...

more important is replacement of the lifter BASKETS! cheap and brain less..

replace head bolts with ARP..

replace rocker bushing with brass...cheap insurance..

replace stock P/R's with STRONG ones, don't want any flexin. measure after heads are back on!

if possible stick with beehive springs, again personal pref.

Most important is who is doin the tuning? If you don't already have this covered give dynoSteve at RDP a shout, easy to talk to and I personally attest to his skillzzz!

good luck op, keep us updated..peace out!
Complete street performance. The same shop that did my last camaro and just tuned this one. Can’t say I’ll road course the car. Would love to some day. But at the same time, if I’m replacing them, why not go with something substantially better than what was in there? Love building things better than what was already in there and something that’s more capable than what was already in there withbthe capability and ease of mind that I can track it
Old 12-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Like others said about 25k....and if unusual wear pattern on cam.....
Old 12-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I did lifters on my second cam swap at 95k miles. First cam was at 65k miles and reused the stock ones.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #14
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
I was 120k on stock lifters when i pulled them to go solid roller. The lifters i pulled were still good. These are roller lifters guys not flat tappet.
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote