Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 07-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Shooter1

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Unsatisfied Customer Warning - Late Model Speed

All, C5 members; I haven't posted on C5 a lot due to my travel schedule but I have been lurking long enough to know this is a good community. This is why I want to advise all that I have been through a very unsatisfactory dealing with Late Model Speed in Indiana. I went to Late Model Speed to save a few bucks on upgrading after Livernois did a great job getting me to 589 rwhp. It is a long story and I am not going to assault character here. I am merely going to state my experience with them and suggest that you all be very weary what you believe. This has been a painful 12,900.00 learning experience for me. I am not going to banter with Late Model Speed here either. Enough of my time and VERY hard earned money has went in their pocket; which equates to an expensive learning lesson for me that I will NOT forget. My car was going to come home a stroker with 8 rib front and 14 rib rear belt with 10% overdrive on the front.

1.) Late Model Speed has an F rating with the Indiana Better Business Bureau. Please search the Challenger/Charger forums for more information.
2.) After many deadlines come and past and the pit feeling in my stomach grew worse; 6.5 weeks came and I forced the car delivered home after advisement it needed some "fine tuning" and had belt squeek. When the car arrived; it would not even run conistently on it's own. Surging and squeeling loudly around my block so bad that I was afraid it was going to wake my neighbors at 5:30 am and I had to fly out for overseas in a few hours; I advised this was no where near 95% and I was surprised it couldn't idle under it's own power without dying. I was told 2 days prior that his folks were "surprised" at how good it idled as it was such a HP monster.
3.) I never got a full dyno printout as he said "His dyno was old and he didn't take good care of it?" When put on a dynojet; I had literally lost 140 rwhp. That's right; from 589 rwhp to 450 rwhp and had no rev limiter while on the dyno. It had to be manually let off as the rpm kept climbing above the limiter.
4.) Upon inspection, after the car was dropped off (paid for); leaks from the transmission and the rear main seal were very evident, my air didn't work, my remote start didn't work, it was literally 2 quarts low on oil, boost bypass wasn't hooked up, interior wasn't assembled correctly from where the ADM gauges were installed but NOT working correctly, just to name a few.
5.) Now we get to the real problems! I was so upset once I returned home and fully inspected the car myself with the notes taken earlier from skilled friends that it was clear the car could NEVER go back to Late Model Speed. Here I was painfully into a 12,900 lesson so I called upon a trusted professional for help. Here is what was found.
a.) Catch can installed improperly
b.) 3 bell housing bolts were loose
c.) 2 intake manifold bolts were finger tight
d.) collectors on the headers were loose
e.) 2nd ring on 4 of 8 pistons were installed UPSIDE DOWN
f.) cylinder walls had excessive scoring from NO SUPPORT RAILS BEING
USED
g.) excessive oil in cylinders and pistons had puddles of oil on top of them
h.) no assembly lube was used on head bolts, scoring the heads
i.) crankshaft had excessive play
j.) All this and the only personal thing I will say is when the car was
delivered and Late Model Speed could see my initial disgust; they actually
had the testicular audacity to say they could have done better if I hadn't
called them so much. I almost came unglued. That was it for me, done.
All this and I only put 4 miles on the car to dyno and was scared to drive it after it spewed oil and transmission fluid.

I just want C5 members to read and make their own choice. I will follow the BBB from this point forward . I felt a duty to share my experience as the cost for me is staggering even though my "trusted source" is treating me very fairly on getting my car running again, knowing what I have been through. I have not listed many, many things that occurred but I think you get the picture.

Sincerely,
Shooter1
Circle D Tranny
Polished manifold and TB
Hendrix Axles
Pfadt sways and End Links
BMR Toe Rods/Trailing arms/sub frame
315 NTO5R/CCW 505T's
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
DAMN! thats bad...taking any further action? curious what their response to all this is
Old 07-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
WOW! This company is even an official C5 Sponsor!!!!
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Damn!!!!I'm sorry to hear your story man as I have seen many post from you and remember your build when it was at Livernois and very happy with it.

So with all thing considered where do you think you went wrong? Trying to save some coin, I can understand that but why not go back to Livernois? You were happy with the work correct?

If you had to do this all over again what would you do differently and how did you get it repaired and back to normal?

Again sorry to hear this bro :(
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Shooter1

LMS response

Their response was denial of how bad it was. They did offer to "make it right" but my car will never return to Late Model Speed under any circumstance.

Further action; undecided at this time. My main focus was to tell my situation to other C5 members so they have this knowledge when they chose their service provider.

I probably won't reply to others except for PM's as enough time and money are long gone. Plus; I am in no way interested to joust with Late Model Speed.

Sincerely,
Shooter1
Circle D Tranny
Polished manifold and TB
Hendrix Axles
315 NTO5R/CCW 505T's
Old 07-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
mcotton

Drives: 2010 Camaro
sorry to hear about all the issues. Seems Camaro5 may want to drop this vendor to limit more camaro5 members having issues. Good luck with the car. Keep us posted on your car getting fixed.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Shooter1

corrections

Yes, I ignorantly tried to save some coin and they were closer. My car is where it belongs now back at Livernois.

Changes; if it isn't broke, don't try and fix it......

I should have stuck with Livernois. I would also search more forums like I did AFTER I got a bad feeling in my gut, should have BEFORE. Most importantly; I should have listened to the Better Business Bureau F.

Sincerely,
Shooter1
Circle D Tranny
Polished manifold and TB
Hendrix Axles
315 NTO5R/CCW 505T's
Old 07-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter1 View Post
Yes, I ignorantly tried to save some coin and they were closer. My car is where it belongs now back at Livernois.

I should have stuck with Livernois. I would also search more forums like I did AFTER I got a bad feeling in my gut, should have BEFORE. Most importantly; I should have listened to the Better Business Bureau F.

Sincerely,
Shooter1
Live and learn is all we can do....at least it's in good hands now unfortunately this had to happen to you but maybe at least some of us will learn from your bad experience and you get some good karma in return....for what thats worth
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter1 View Post

Sincerely,
Shooter1
Sorry for your loss and the service you received. That would have put me over the edge!! I am glad you are back to a reputable shop and I am sure your car will get done like it should be. Best of luck

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
midgard

Drives: red jewel camaro
Shooter:

I feel for you man! You sound like you literally got robbed. Sounds like Your "beast" got taken down by snake oil salesman.

Its definitely good to have it back with Livernois....heck, if this happened some time next year, I might have been able to sell you my stroker for a good price and upgraded to an LSX. Knowing how my car and 1 mean SS's car and Sweaver's cars are just absolutely awesome, its disgusting to hear that someone like these guys exists!

Well...my car should be there next week, and hopefully you can get the pieces from it that you need in time and right that car again! Once you have it back, it will be the talk of the town! That car is going to roll

9.81@142.02
Livernois 2nd Place Car Camaro5 Fest
Original Build 13 psi/nittos.....10.44@134
3.6KB/3.5 pulley/Stock t/b..Best 9.967@142.01

SSJ3...is done....mid 9s?Rossler 6l80E Transmission
KB 3.6LC,17" Bogarts, Thanks to Hendrix 9", Thanks to Pfadt
original T/b and converter, 419ci stroker (NO LSX Block)
midgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Sorry to hear of your problems Bro! I think Late Model should pay for the repairs or the Camaro5.com really should ban them from this board! No Refund on the Sponsership either!
What you discribe is the stuff nightmares are made of for a car lover. They should hang their heads in shame and slither back under the rock from which they came.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
I'm very sorry about what happened. I can relate to the shitty service as my baby had a tune so bad that I now have to get all forged internals just to feel comfortable with driving it. C5 needs to investigate this that's for sure, so that it doesn't happen again. Its going to no matter what, but if its from a C5 sponsor then that is rediculous to keep a vendor like that on this forum. C5 has such a tight group and its a shame to have someone like Late Model Speed and that dumbass ripping people off for the headers on this site. To me its the same dam thing! They are both using this site to take advange of customers they know will pay a lot of money when it comes to our cars! I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't want to be at a C5 Fest with a company like that next to a lot full of Camaro owners that thay look at as their next victims!!

I'm pissed right along with you man!! Sue the shit outta their asses!
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #13
FASST 1

Drives: Black 1SS
Shooter, I can definitely relate! I also had a bad experience dealing with Late Model Speed. I am not out as much money as you are but I experienced many of the same problems you did. I had a Harrop supercharger installed. The install was so badly done that that I am still trying to correct the issues after over a month. First, the car was delivered over a month late. I can not tell you how many excuses I was given as to why I had to wait to get my car back. I never once was called to tell me how the work was going or that there would be a delay with the delivery. I had to call and then get bitched at for bothering him! When I finally did get my car back I could not believe it!

1. The front fenders were scratched from not enough protection. Some scratches were through the paint!
2. The traction control and stabiltract would not turn on. I had to have the dealer reset it. How does installing a supercharger mess with that?
3. Without my permission my headers were removed and a stock exhaust installed so he could develop a tune for other stock cars with a Harrop. When the headers were replaced it was not done right and the exhaust was hitting against the car when I went over a bump.
4. I paid to have my New Era CAI modified to fit the SC. It was not even on the car when it was delivered – a month late! It was later mailed and does not fit right.
5. Two hoses on the supercharger were kinked. Three hoses were rubbing against the belt and got damaged.
6. A hose fitting on the valve cover was missing.
7. A hose shifted and before I caught it and a hose clamp rubbed a grove in my belt.
8. The tune was so bad I had to have someone else retune the car. I did call Late Model Speed about the tune. I was told he would be in the area and had made adjustments to the tune and would install a new tune on my car. When I emailed him to confirm he never returned my email or contacted me.

I will post some photos document what I have said.

I was a member on this Forum long before this problem. In fact, it is through C5 that I learned about Late Model Speed. I am not sure that anyone with a BBB F rating should be a sponsor and hopefully no one else will have to go through what Shooter 1 and I have had to go through.
Attached Images

FASST 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
FASST 1

Drives: Black 1SS
Another hose rub.
Attached Images

FASST 1 is offline   Reply With Quote