Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
kelsanova

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS IOM/blk rally
Installing Exhaust

I am a confused newbie when it comes to adding aftermarket parts to my car. I have a 2SS and I am looking to upgrade the exhaust system, however, I feel that this will be an overwhelming project for me. At the same time though, I am not sure who can do exhaust upgrades properly. Will the dealership do upgrades like that? Or do they not want to touch them due to warranty? I realize that they would be the most expensive option, but I'm just not sure who to entrust it to. I guess the question I am asking is.. have any of you upgraded your exhaust system? If so, what did you end up going with, and who did you have install it? Thanks for the help!
kelsanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
I've had flowmaster in the past and plan on installing flowmaster again when my vert comes in. I used a local, independant muffler shop the first time, and watched them do the install. After seeing how rediculously easy it was, im planning on doing it myself this time. At least for the flowmaster cat-back, it was a simple bolt on/off installation, the hardest part is finding someone with a lift. Without a lift, I think it may be cumbersome, but with it, easy... and im fairly inept when it comes to car work as well. Check you tube and he forums here, there's lots of install how to videos.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
metallicide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Just look around, you should have a an exhaust shop somewhere nearby.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
mikey8

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Hello, and welcome to C5. I did my own exhaust. I decided to go with the Corsa. I bought ramps at Pepboy's for 30.00, and backed the car up. A few hand tools, (WD-40 for the hangers), and the ramps from Pepboy's. I was a little nervous, because it's something that I had never done. After it was over, it was a great feeling of accomplishment. It's nice to have the ramps anyway. It was really a piece of cake. It takes a couple of hours. The hardest thing was getting the stock exhaust off, because it's heavy. It comes off in one piece. An extra set of hands helps with that part. If you don't feel like doing it, any muffler shop, could change it out for you in no time. The dealer will probably charge the most.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
kelsanova

Thank you for the great replies everyone. I love this forum. I might just try and install it with a friend by the sound of it. I like that feeling of accomplishment too! Drago and Mikey, how do you like your exhaust upgrades? Do either of those systems make it sound a lot louder on the inside when you are driving? Just curious. Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible

You should be able to handle this with a helping hand from a friend. They ae fairly easy to do. Like someone said, just shoot some WD-40 around the hangers to help them slide out.

I've found the better way to take it off is to un-bolt the front, push it towards the back, pull it down to clear the mid-pipes, and then go forward with the exhaust so you can take it off the rear hangers. Be prepared....it's not all that light.

Lift would be nice but it can be done on jacks or ramps.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
mikey8

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsanova View Post
Thank you for the great replies everyone. I love this forum. I might just try and install it with a friend by the sound of it. I like that feeling of accomplishment too! Drago and Mikey, how do you like your exhaust upgrades? Do either of those systems make it sound a lot louder on the inside when you are driving? Just curious. Thanks again!
My exhaust is smooth as silk while cruising with no annoying drone. Sounds like a race car when you step on it!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
kelsanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey8 View Post
My exhaust is smooth as silk while cruising with no annoying drone. Sounds like a race car when you step on it!

Now that's what I like to hear!!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
awesome to hear these things. I'm going to install my magnaflow axle back tonight, I'm a little worrid about cutting the pipes, any recommendations?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Talk to Ivan, he can hook you up.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125385
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
awesome to hear these things. I'm going to install my magnaflow axle back tonight, I'm a little worrid about cutting the pipes, any recommendations?
Yeah.....measure twice, cut once.

Use a sawsall with a new or close to new metal blade. WD-40 on the rubber hangers. You should be all good.

Look through this....one of the few MC threads I've kept.
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=15291
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
great! thank you very much caverman!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
I just ordered the MBRP exhaust with the rectangle tips that will fit into the ground effects. All this is going on around April 1st when the car comes out of storage. I am not able to do the exhaust myself, but I have talked to my dealer and he told me he would do it for 150.00 which I don't think is to bad.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
I just ordered the MBRP exhaust with the rectangle tips that will fit into the ground effects. All this is going on around April 1st when the car comes out of storage. I am not able to do the exhaust myself, but I have talked to my dealer and he told me he would do it for 150.00 which I don't think is to bad.
Check around local muffer shops. I've heard $100 being the norm....which makes $150 from the dealer about right.
Build Journal

Tags
2ss, exhaust, installation