Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-22-2018, 04:29 AM   #15
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisblake1989 View Post
I do not want to get any scratches on my car shes all black and it would look hideous so how do you guys wash you're cars?
Search Junkman on YouTube
Old 02-22-2018, 05:55 AM   #16
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
I live on a 1/2 mile gravel road and have a compressor in my garage. I blow it off after every time I drive it AGM color I picked that color looks good hides dust. when I leave for a jaunt yank'n gears blows it off then. ( heh-heh) hand wash ,shade, I wash with a horizontal motion to avoid swirls. the oldman.......
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #17
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
I don`t do the two buckets, or a grit guard. I have a couple dozen of these plush blue mf towels I use to wash with. First I tell what I do for a wash when I`m going to be applying some fusso coat.
1: I rinse to get loose stuff off
2: I spray the car down with purple power auto, rv, boat cleaner. This does a lot of dirt, road film removal without agitation.
3: I have a bucket with the purple power
4: I use the blue mf towels to wash the car. The mf only goes in the bucket once. I use as many different mf towels as needed. Its gotta be working cleaner than using a rinse bucket. Trying to get all the dirt out of the wash mit.
5: rinse
6: I use the leaf blower to dry the car. Using mf towel to dry what little is left.

i do the same for a maintenance wash, except I use a regular ph balanced car soap
Attached Images

Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #18
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
never wash a hot surface car or water spots and soap will damage paint

don't wash it where it's so hot or dry that it dries before the water can run off or you can dry it with a microfiber or chamois to avoid water spotting

don't wash a dirty car. that means spray pre-wash off as much dirt as you can

get a safe carwash soap, never dishsoap or other detergents

put soapy water in a bucket and wet a microfiber cloth with it

gently, lightly, wipe in circles on pre-wet car surface

wipe dirtiest areas last, near wheels for example then change out washcloth

if a washcloth touches the ground or gets dirty change it out right away

you should go through at least several to half doz of these washclothes per wash depending on how dirty the car was, put in your washing machine to restore them for re-use, throw away if they got too dirty, or reserve them as wheels only or engine compartment only clothes for future cleaning

you use these instead of a mitt or sponge because you can keep changing them out as they get grit on them. trying to handclean them in a bucket doesn't get all the grit out, that's why you keep changing them

dry the car with air if available or microfiber towels or a damp chamois, windows first and big standing droplets and chrome second, change it out also as it will pickup grit too, which is why I prefer more microfiber cloths for that vs a chamois or single towel
Edit: The blue soft paper towels are handy for touchup drying, probably not soft enough to use on the whole car but absorbs the droplets left on mirrors windows and chrome and in the cracks better than the microfibers
The same logic applies to waxing, now you are using a good quality wax instead of soap that's all
Attached Images

Last edited by silversleeper; 02-22-2018 at 10:28 AM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #19
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
I don`t do the two buckets, or a grit guard. I have a couple dozen of these plush blue mf towels I use to wash with. First I tell what I do for a wash when I`m going to be applying some fusso coat.
1: I rinse to get loose stuff off
2: I spray the car down with purple power auto, rv, boat cleaner. This does a lot of dirt, road film removal without agitation.
3: I have a bucket with the purple power
4: I use the blue mf towels to wash the car. The mf only goes in the bucket once. I use as many different mf towels as needed. Its gotta be working cleaner than using a rinse bucket. Trying to get all the dirt out of the wash mit.
5: rinse
6: I use the leaf blower to dry the car. Using mf towel to dry what little is left.

i do the same for a maintenance wash, except I use a regular ph balanced car soap
If you picture Samuel L. Jackson reading that while substituting "motherf*****" for the "mf" in each sentence, it's rather amusing. Or at least it is if you're immature like me.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #20
blewbyyou

Drives: Dusk SE
BEST WASHING PRATICE

The trick to a scratch free finish is to touch the car as least amount as possible. therefore what I use and suggest is to rinse rinse rinse first
then use a foam gun and then use a boars hair brush. trust me it wont scratch the paint and it will get into those areas around any emblems or the tail lights very well. The brush is defiantly the way to go but it`s not cheep. then blow dry with an electric leaf blower.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #21
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Old 02-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #22
Tom And Cheryl

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible, ThumperII
Ok, so were kind of an Adams Polishes kind of family, (that's right I need to order more product) anyway we were the 2 buckets with a wash guard and wash mitt blow dry with a 20-volt leaf blower but come spring we will be adding a foam gun into our washing habits thanks to our son who brought us one for Christmas. I wash a couple of times a week as the car goes to a lot of shows. Before it gets stored for the winter I clay bar and put a coat of patriot wax on it. In spring I'll strip wash it clay it again buff the car and re-wax it. I'll be good for the summer. The Adams web site has quite a few video's on how to take car of your paint.

Last edited by Tom And Cheryl; 02-23-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Tom And Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #23
blewbyyou

Drives: Dusk SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
Foam cannon and good microfiber towels
That's a lot of foam. Are you using Adam's new super foam wash or someone else's?
Old 02-23-2018, 12:57 AM   #24
Davisblake1989

Drives: 2013 Camaro LT
can anyone recommend A good blower to dry the car with?
Davisblake1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:46 AM   #25
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewbyyou View Post
That's a lot of foam. Are you using Adam's new super foam wash or someone else's?
I got my foam cannon from chemical guys. I think it’s the same as the one Adams sell. It came with a gallon of honey dew snow foam shampoo.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:52 AM   #26
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:
I use an electric leaf blower I brought from Lowe’s. I only use it for my car. I use a different one for leaves.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:08 AM   #27
jrjose107

Drives: 2012 2lt camaro rs
He has a lot of good videos from washing to polishing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYs...TkoxI5D17s1u-w
jrjose107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #28
Tom And Cheryl

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible, ThumperII
Quote:
We brought a 20volt Black and Decker leaf blower and I don't use the extension. I think it works well.
Tom And Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote