Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
SVT_SRT

Drives: 2009 Shelby GT500
camaro ss vs boss 302

So americanmuscle.com just released a video and description about the 302 and the camaro ss. As they are a huge mustang vendor of course they always try and make the mustang sound better. Being an unbiased fan this is bothered me.

"Our 2012 Boss was hungry for some Camaro! Lap times were 1.223 for the Boss and 1.244 for the Camaro. More video coming soon... What else do you think we should do while we're here? "

In reality that isn't much faster for a way more expensive car. They should run the stock 5.0 gt vs ss. but, w/e

SVT_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Boss is a purpose built car. and it does it's job very well. we shouldn't be surprised.

IMHO the camaro is more car overall. But in Stock form it doesn't really over achieve in any one area other than looks.

There is really nothing else for them to test against... we just need to wait for the ZL1 and we'll have a purpose built car that might be a little more relevant to tests like this...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
2 seconds is a pretty big gap on a minute and a half (well ... assuming that 1.223 = 1min 22.3 seconds). That said, you'd think the gap should be wider than that
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
I dont think thats a big gap, that could be all driving! If the Boss could not beat the SS then it would be a big joke... the camaro keeping up wiith the boss just shows how much car you get with the SS in my eyes
Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Is the Boss suppose to be built for the track or drag racing?
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Two seconds a lap is huge on a short track. But to be fair,they should have run it against the standard GT,not the purpose built Boss.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
DEANGE2001

Drives: 2010 2ss LSR CAI, Borla S axle back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post
Is the Boss suppose to be built for the track or drag racing?
Boss is definitely built for track...all about handling with (correct me if i am wrong) 440 naturally aspirated bhp.

But definitely, the 302 is built for the track, not drag racing.
DEANGE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Well, my only question is were they running the times based on the way they were just running in that video..... if so...no wonder....as you can see the Camaro is having to back off of the Mustang into the turn...

I just think it's funny that people do these comparisons... its like comparing the SRT-8 or Cobra to the SS.....and then talking smack about it.... the SS is a comparison of the GT and the R/T....and that's it... The Boss, while still a "GT", is a purpose built car....not a standard GT..
Old 06-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Well, my only question is were they running the times based on the way they were just running in that video..... if so...no wonder....as you can see the Camaro is having to back off of the Mustang into the turn...
What? Are you talking about the OP video? I don't see that at all. . .
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
I'm actually more impressed with the SS. Looks like GM has less work to do with the Z28 that I thought.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Check out the Grand-Am racing site...Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. This gives a better idea of how both cars fair on a even playing field.
BMW M3 and Ford Boss 302 tied for first with 199 points.
Chevrolet Camaro is behind them in third with 156 points.
Followed by Porsche in forth with 127 points.
The American cars are making a good showing and Ford is proving that log of an axle out back isn't really that bad.

http://www.grand-am.com/standings/index.cfm?series=k

porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
I would have liked to see more video, why just 15 seconds and what are they trying to sell using this video? Nothing against American Muscle by the way, I just would have liked to see a full on comparison to see how the SS stood up. If the lap times are only a minute and 22 seconds then 2 seconds is a lifetime in this particular situation. I think if GM could shave 150lbs out of the Camaro then it would be very competitive. The Camaro GS in Grand Am isn't doing very well though, they did finish 2nd last race in that class but it was their first 2nd place finish in the 2 years of racing. The Camaro is doing great in the GT class but those cars are far from stock and have tubular chassis's to get the weight down beyond 3350lbs.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I would have liked to see more video, why just 15 seconds and what are they trying to sell using this video? Nothing against American Muscle by the way, I just would have liked to see a full on comparison to see how the SS stood up. If the lap times are only a minute and 22 seconds then 2 seconds is a lifetime in this particular situation. I think if GM could shave 150lbs out of the Camaro then it would be very competitive. The Camaro GS in Grand Am isn't doing very well though, they did finish 2nd last race in that class but it was their first 2nd place finish in the 2 years of racing. The Camaro is doing great in the GT class but those cars are far from stock and have tubular chassis's to get the weight down beyond 3350lbs.
Hey thePill get back to TS.

Lol
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinekiller View Post
Check out the Grand-Am racing site...Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge.
BMW M3 and Ford Boss 302 tied for first with 199 points.
Chevrolet Camaro is behind them in third with 156 points.
Followed by Porsche in forth with 127 points.
The American cars are making a good showing and Ford is proving that log of an axle out back isn't really that bad.

http://www.grand-am.com/standings/index.cfm?series=k
I have been watching that points race very closely. The Multimatic Boss and Roush Boss are very close to Turners M3 in driver and team and Ford is tied with BMW now. I am hoping that Multimatic can pull a championship this year because the car is painted the exactly the same as the 1970 PJ Boss 302. The points gap can be made up in one race...

The Boss has three 1st place finishes, two 2nd place and two 3rd place finishes for 7 podiums this season. I don't see any problems with the solid axle however, it is beginning to push the limits and... we can never count a Turner Motorsports M3 out... The last four races will be nail biting...

Roush did not receive any points at Daytona (just like last season) They would be pretty close to Turner if they would have...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote