Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #29
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
The $$$$ are in the charts.
Not saying that we may see the start of a new trend or anything, however if you look at the chart around this time of the year it is normal for the Mustang to out sell the Camaro.

Really the big change in trends has been with the Dodge moving further and further up market.

We still do not know how many Camaros were produced, and we never look at the incentives offered on any of the three cars.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #30
doc7000

In my area I can get $3,000 off a Dodge Challenger, $1,500 off on a Mustang, and $1,500 off on the Camaro (based on their website and a zip code in the South Bay Southern California).
Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #31
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
with the 15 mustang getting closer, you'd think the mustang sales would be lackluster. such a huge change for next year (supposedly) across the board for the mustang and they are kicking the camaros ass. Camaro prices are higher but you get more for your money (i know this firsthand) maybe the camaro needs to be dumbed down further to grab the lower end ? maybe when the 15 mustang comes out their price will be in line with the camaro?

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #32
doc7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStoryBro View Post
with the 15 mustang getting closer, you'd think the mustang sales would be lackluster. such a huge change for next year (supposedly) across the board for the mustang and they are kicking the camaros ass. Camaro prices are higher but you get more for your money (i know this firsthand) maybe the camaro needs to be dumbed down further to grab the lower end ? maybe when the 15 mustang comes out their price will be in line with the camaro?
Like I have said before, this is WAY too early to make any of the judgements that you have made in this post. What is wrong with waiting for more information before we make a call on exactly what is going on....
Old 07-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #33
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStoryBro View Post
How do you get more for your money? HID and LED taillights are standard on all mustangs. Not $1350 extra. The mustang also tends to price out cheaper, have bigger incentives, and a bigger margin between invoice and MSRP so you can always get it for less. The interior is also of higher quality although the interior layout on the camaro is much better. Both the mustang and Challenger have track apps of which the camaro has no equivalent.

The only thing that made me buy the camaro is I have always been a camaro fan and love the styling. The Tremec in the camaro is of much higher quality than the Chinese made MT82 in the stang and I wanted a manual. The camaro comes with brembos all around. Finally, I am a big fan of the LS3 engine.

However, the fact that the camaro was more expensive and how tightly integrated Onstar spyware is into the car I thought long and hard about getting a mustang instead.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #34
Beehave

Drives: 2010 Yellow/Black 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Something tells me that people are reading into this way more then there is to read....
Beehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #35
doc7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
How do you get more for your money? HID and LED taillights are standard on all mustangs. Not $1350 extra. The mustang also tends to price out cheaper, have bigger incentives, and a bigger margin between invoice and MSRP so you can always get it for less. The interior is also of higher quality although the interior layout on the camaro is much better. Both the mustang and Challenger have track apps of which the camaro has no equivalent.

The only thing that made me buy the camaro is I have always been a camaro fan and love the styling. The Tremec in the camaro is of much higher quality than the Chinese made MT82 in the stang and I wanted a manual. The camaro comes with brembos all around. Finally, I am a big fan of the LS3 engine.

However, the fact that the camaro was more expensive and how tightly integrated Onstar spyware is into the car I thought long and hard about getting a mustang instead.
When incentives are in play it is hard to make a fair value judgement for two cars. You can probably still get a Mustang with as much as $5,000 on the hood of the car at some dealers. Though the reality about incentive is this, you do not offer them unless you need them and the Mustang has needed them (as has the Challenger). The Camaro has sold with mostly no incentives and $1,000-$1,500 in incentives at the max.

Where this comes to hurt the buyer in the long run is with resale value, if someone happened to have purchased a Mustang at full MSRP they get hosed. Sure the Camaro may be a bit more expensive however it pays for itself when you go to sell the car over the Mustang. The 5th generation Camaro has maintained its resale really well, $19,000 is still about the cheapest I can get a used 5th generation Camaro in my area and that is a V-6 engine. $27,000 roughly gets me a used SS Camaro.... from 2010.. and this is a car entering in its 5th model year and yet has held its value really well.

The value proposition, I remember when the Camaro first came out in 2010 and you had a clear value proposition for the Camaro. Sure the base Mustang was about $1,000 cheaper (without incentives) however it lacked much of the features that the base Camaro had. Ford has increased standard features for the Mustang sense then while not increasing the price by that much.

Looking at some of the stats (not including incentives) there is a $1,250 price difference between the two cars and the Camaro does seem to offer a bit more for the money.

However if I were to be making the choice of which of the three cars is better taking incentives into account then clearly the Challenger is the better car. It is hard to argue against a R/T Challenger that is priced at $26,000.......
Old 07-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #36
Beehave

Drives: 2010 Yellow/Black 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
My guess is the increase in Challenger sales is due to its near demise.
Nice try... sort of like the 300, they were going to drop that..in 2010... how many times can you post that

Last edited by Beehave; 07-07-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Beehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #37
doc7000

I haven't really followed the Challenger, so I do not know what changes they made to the car over the years. I know that the incentives have gone down a great deal to now just $3,000 which makes its sales performance that much more impressive. I guess they really got the packaging down right with the car as far as content and pricing goes for the most part. Above base trim it does look like a pretty cool car though....
Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #38
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Love how anytime the Mustang outpaces a Camaro there's a bandwagon of posters with excuses. Why not be happy that this segment survives?

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #39
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Love how anytime the Mustang outpaces a Camaro there's a bandwagon of posters with excuses. Why not be happy that this segment survives?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #40
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
I read the entire thread and was thinking the same thing. Mustang and Camaro sales are pretty much a wash to me anyway. The Challenger is the impressive one lately. It has been climbing pretty steady.

Last edited by motorhead; 07-07-2013 at 09:41 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #41
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
coming off a 13 mustang. You get more for your money in several ways. Lets do a 13 gt vs 13 1SS comparison.

standard on camaro that mustang does not have:
4 wheel brembos
Mylink
Independant rear
20" wheels
An interior that is leaps and bounds less rattley and clunky than a mustang.
a transmission that shifts when you need it to shift.
5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty

That is where you get more for your money.

I came from a bitchen 13 gt with recaros and track package. $36k sticker. car was badass !!! that transmission, never a solid day without some kind of issue. 10,000 miles and i sold it. couldn't put up with that. had a 10 camaro before. once you hop into a mustang after a camaro, you realize the dash is from the 90's and the whole interior is a cost saving plastic dungeon. door panels from hell, b pillar rattles, rear seat side panels rattle. minimal clips holding that stuff in place.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #42
doc7000

Quote:
I think it is funny because it is the opposite since I have been coming to this site, whenever the Mustang sells more then the Camaro for a month (or two) the Ford fanbois come out talking about how this is the end for the Camaro. .............

Now even some of the Camaro owners run out and say such things, it is as if they lack the ability for critical thinking.

Enter you all coy, I remember you were one of those Mustang owners who also jumped on that bandwagon. Go on about how the Mustang was superior and everyone who owns a Camaro has one so now the Mustang will take its rightful place back on top. Every single time you did boom the dumping month ends and the Mustang goes right back to second place.

My whole point is we need to stop looking at 1-2 months and making such huge and wild speculations about what is going to happen. You have people saying it is because the 2014 Camaro is ugly (which is just dumb), someone actually said it is because the 2015 Mustang is coming....