Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Scrming's Air Intake Experiment - Part I

Ok.. so I don't quite have everything all together yet... BUT after today I thought I would share...

I've been hinting all week about our IAT sensor and heat soak... Well, last Wednesday I make a trip down to MRT for a little help with my Air Intake Experiment - Part I.

So what is Part I? Part I is adding a stand alone IAT sensor and locating it in a spot that won't be so exposed to engine heat like the stock MAF/IAT sensor is.

So what's involved? Buying a IAT sensor and correct pig tail. Determine which two wires out of the five wires that go to the stock MAF/IAT sensor that are for the stock IAT. Cutting those wires and connecting the new pig tail. And finally, drilling and installing the new IAT sensor! Some quick snapshots:

Getting the wiring right!

New sensor in the air box lid:

Shop was 65 degrees but the stock IAT still read 97 degrees even though the car had been sitting for quite a while:

And new sensor is reading the air in the engine bay as 72 degrees.. which is more realistic... since the hood had been up for quite some time!

Everything all together!

So now your are asking... did it actually make a difference? Hmmmm... I'll let you decided... I took the car to the drag strip today... My best run has been 14.69 @ 94 MPH... Best 60' is 2.14...

Here is the slip from today... Left Lane - Car 260:

The air was in fact a bit better today than usual... but most importantly my IAT temps today were only 5 degrees above the outside air temp!! Typically the IAT temps are 15 to 20 degrees above the outside temp by the time I get the car staged! Looking at the data logs it looks like the car is running about 5 degrees more timing.... Needless to say i was geeked! LOL!

Ok.. just need to add:

The push in type IAT sensor is GM part# 12160244 (This sensor fits the 98-02 LS1 Camaro). The pigtail wire is GM part# 12102620. Local auto parts store should have these.

Last edited by scrming; 05-09-2010 at 02:01 PM.
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
Wow, that's almost 4/10ths. That's a huge difference for such a minor mod.

I'm sold!

I can't wait to see what happens when you open up the filter a bit.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Rygen
Domestic sports cars FTW!

Drives: 2005 Ford Mustang
Very cool John. That mph is more in line with what the car should do. Nice find.

After 5.4 3v forged motor, 4r70, 14lbs of boost..
ET pending
Rygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygen View Post
Very cool John. That mph is more in line with what the car should do. Nice find.
Thanks!

DA was probably around 1400... (i need to invest in hand held DA thingy! LOL) Based on previous years, November could bring the DA down to the 600 range!
Old 09-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Rygen
Domestic sports cars FTW!

Drives: 2005 Ford Mustang
You should try to make the drive down to my track rental, may even see a negative da at MIR.

After 5.4 3v forged motor, 4r70, 14lbs of boost..
ET pending
Rygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Wow, was not expecting that increase. Good stuff, all things that i will do after. Gota get my car dynoed first to see what numbers its really putting down. If its normal, then ill start these mods, if its really low, then im taking it back and going to try for the lemon!
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygen View Post
You should try to make the drive down to my track rental, may even see a negative da at MIR.
Trust me... I have thought more than once about that!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Thanks for the awesome info! How much difference can you tell in response just doing daily driving?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatiaJockey View Post
Thanks for the awesome info! How much difference can you tell in response just doing daily driving?
Basically the car feels peppier... I have that cool morning feeling all day long now! LOL!

Also, knowing that I would be running the car very hard and I would be going to the track I've been running premium as a strictly precautionary measure.... Lowering the temp increases timing which could lead to the car pinging... but lowering the temp in theory should also increase the fuel which should help prevent pinging... unfortunately I don't have access to the knock sensor PIDs to monitor them... argh!

Next tank I'll start running 87 again and monitor the spark retard and listen very closely for any signs of spark knock... In theory however the knock sensors should pull back any excessive timing...
Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Thanks, I hope you feel the additional pep on 87, by all sound reasoning you should. This mod and the resonator delete on the intake are starting to look like must do's.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
This is the old IAT relocate trick. Has worked on many LS/LT V8's in the past.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
This is the old IAT relocate trick. Has worked on many LS/LT V8's in the past.
Yep... that's were the idea came from... what's surprising how well the car responded! Normally V6's don't respond nearly as well... but in this case the V6 really did... The LLT seems to really start pulling timing when the IAT hit's mid-80s...
Old 09-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Another sweet idea from scrming! Definitely keep us posted on the ping/spark knocking issues.....if there are any! Sounds like a very in-expensive and easy mod with a nice gain!

By the way what IAT sensor did you go with? (Just wondering what you got so I could get the same thing in the future if/when I make this mod! lol) Was this a modification you used on your Mustang in the past?

Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Another sweet idea from scrming! Definitely keep us posted on the ping/spark knocking issues.....if there are any! Sounds like a very in-expensive and easy mod with a nice gain!

By the way what IAT sensor did you go with? (Just wondering what you got so I could get the same thing in the future if/when I make this mod! lol) Was this a modification you used on your Mustang in the past?

Thanks again.
I don't think that 87 should be an issue... but I just wanted to be extra cautious! Guys have been doing this mod on their V8s for a long time... I was just surprised how well our V6 responded to this mod!

I just went into the local auto parts store and told them I needed an "air charge sensor" for a 1998 V8 Camaro... it is a "push-in" type IAT sensor. Also needed the correct pig tail which is GM Part # 12102620... The pig tail was more expensive than the sensor! LOL! You can probably get the pig tail a lot cheaper online some where.. but I was in a hurry... LOL