Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #29
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Not sure if the V6 auto is similar to the V8 auto, but the V8 really benefits from a tune. Sure, it helps get the most out of the mods, but another big part of it is the tranny tune. The tranny tune really makes a difference in how the car feels and drives.
Yes, from what I've heard from V6 A6 owners who've tuned, the tranny tune makes a dramatic difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Agree. Doing bolt-ons was fun, but to be totally honest, the before and after wasn't a drastic difference. Yeah, the car sounded better, and maybe felt a little peppier, but if you want mods you can truly feel, you have to go big, e.g. blower, cam, internal engine mods, nitrous.

Also, gears make a hell of a difference and they were one of my favorite mods. I think this is kind of cost prohibitive on the V6 though, since a lot of parts need replaced. I guess it would also defeat the purpose of buying the LS to begin with, since it was designed for better MPGs.
Just to be clear, the 2LS is the model that was changed to get the higher EPA MPG number. The 1LS was not.

The V6 autos will have more trouble with swapping gears, but the manual V6's have the same LSD diff (albeit with different gears) as the SS.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #30
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel25 View Post
Great write up
Thanks.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #31
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Go ahead and mod with no tune.

Just don't sing with no tune.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #32
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
I think the answer depends on what you're looking for and what your goals are. For someone like you who is looking to improve their drag times, increasing RWHP by 10% with bolt-ons and a tune won't be enough.

For others, it will.
this is very true. I am a speed junkie. lol
Old 08-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #33
maxcamaro

Drives: 2013 2ls
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will definitely install a CAI and performance tires asap. (I'll wait on the exhaust) One more question, can you guys recommend any good CAI brands? I know people talk shit about BBK intakes but I like that blue haha Anything under 400 is ok.
maxcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #34
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcamaro View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will definitely install a CAI and performance tires asap. (I'll wait on the exhaust) One more question, can you guys recommend any good CAI brands? I know people talk shit about BBK intakes but I like that blue haha Anything under 400 is ok.
Cold Air Induction. Buy from Apex Chase: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/member.php?u=22906
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #35
Learjetguru

Drives: 2011 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
well, speaking from experience, I had a 2010 LS, did every single bolt-on mod available for it and some suspension. and I would say every single bolt-on was a waste of money. lol most was all good for sound. I couldn't go any faster than 15.2 1/4 mile at the local track in las vegas, with a manual. granted the DA sucked all the time, and they didn't prep the track. it was just a slow track for everyone. a bunch of stock SS's couldn't break into the 13's. i cut down to 13.8 1/4mile with nitrous.

so, if I had to do it all over again, I would save my money from the small mods, and buy nitrous...or SC/TC.
+1

Learjetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #36
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcamaro View Post
You will find lots of love for the CAI brand. I went with Roto - Fab and am very satisfied. Most of the top brands (Roto - Fab, CAI, Injen) are similar in performance. You have to decide how much you want to spend and which model's asthetics appeal to you.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #37
CamaroIOM12
Jim

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I'll get this one. Once again... "RS" is not a model of Camaro. It is a TRIM PACKAGE and nothing more. It consists of body colored roof ditches, custom wheels, tinted tail lights, RS badges, etc. Strictly an appearance package - no performance enhancements.
What do you mean? My RS has 20 more Hp because of the RS doesn't yours?

Sorry trying to lighten the mood.
CamaroIOM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #38
SirZeusor

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
I basically did exactly what you want to do .
I have a 2012 1LS.

Exhaust and CIA.

Sounds amazing, reduced a lot of weight.
I eat a LOT of RS package 2LS.

It's the manual trans, weight off the exhaust and cia I'm convinced.

(dyno readings I don't think take in to account the weight reduction do they? someone correct me please if I am wrong....?) those darn trash cans were HEAVY!

You just can't drag against an experienced manual transmission driver in an automatic.
That nut you're racing in the manual will take every gear to redline regardless of what the computer wants to do.

Most of all playing with your toy is fun and anything that puts a smile on my face is a gain!
SirZeusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #39
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirZeusor View Post
I basically did exactly what you want to do .
I have a 2012 1LS.

Exhaust and CIA.

Sounds amazing, reduced a lot of weight.
I eat a LOT of RS package 2LS.

It's the manual trans, weight off the exhaust and cia I'm convinced.

(dyno readings I don't think take in to account the weight reduction do they? someone correct me please if I am wrong....?) those darn trash cans were HEAVY!

You just can't drag against an experienced manual transmission driver in an automatic.
That nut you're racing in the manual will take every gear to redline regardless of what the computer wants to do.

Most of all playing with your toy is fun and anything that puts a smile on my face is a gain!
  1. You can't get either LS with the RS package. And it doesn't matter anyway, since the RS package is an appearance package, not a performance package.
  2. The dyno only reads power/torque. Weight reduction does not affect either. Weight reduction will affect performance numbers, though, as there's less weight for that power/torque to move.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #40
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Most CAI will give similar numbers, I went with Injen as it was an intake that was grabbing air away from the engine. Love the sound it gave the motor. Ported throttle body helps with the response and will eliminate that dead spot when you floor it, worth the money in my opinion. I have an auto so when I got my Trifecta tune it was a nice surprise how well it added to the tranny. Over all the tune itself kinda made all the other mods play nice together. As Poor man said it doesn't give you a SS killer but it does make it better. Your butt dyno will feel it.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #41
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
2full garage. who is XYZ Tuning? a CAI for $118 is cheap. does it do what the CAI Inc. and K@N cold air intakes do? why it so much cheaper. thanks
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #42
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
a CAI for $118 is cheap. does it do what the CAI Inc. and K@N cold air intakes do?
I will just about guarantee you that it does not.

Tags
cai, mod, tune