Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Malice

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Help me select the best performance tires (tirerack)

My 2010 SS has 20,600 miles, and the stock rear Pirelli Pzeros are completely bald. I have been impressed with their grip at the drag strip, but I've read reviews on tirerack that indicate they are old technology.

I live in North Carolina, and it rains here often. I try not to drive the car in the rain, but often I don't have a choice. I get caught in rain storms. I drag race the car often, and I intend to autocross at some point in the future. I drive the car to work a couple times a week. I don't want to install DOT Drag radials since I drive the car on the street.

Road noise and feel are not factors for me. I am looking for the best possible performing tire that will safely fit on my stock 20" rear wheel.

I kinda like the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 sized 285/35/20. Do you think this tire will be a safe fit on the car? Can you suggest any other tires that will meet me needs?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice View Post
My 2010 SS has 20,600 miles, and the stock rear Pirelli Pzeros are completely bald. I have been impressed with their grip at the drag strip, but I've read reviews on tirerack that indicate they are old technology.

I live in North Carolina, and it rains here often. I try not to drive the car in the rain, but often I don't have a choice. I get caught in rain storms. I drag race the car often, and I intend to autocross at some point in the future. I drive the car to work a couple times a week. I don't want to install DOT Drag radials since I drive the car on the street.

Road noise and feel are not factors for me. I am looking for the best possible performing tire that will safely fit on my stock 20" rear wheel.

I kinda like the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 sized 285/35/20. Do you think this tire will be a safe fit on the car? Can you suggest any other tires that will meet me needs?
Well, that tire will damn sure do the job as well as any. It works well for the ZL1. If you don't mind spending 2k for tires then I'd say you are done.

I recently had this choice to make. I chose the less expensive route that isn't perfect in the rain but is a grippier tire when it's dry. I went with the Nitto NTO5.

BUT, I'm no tire expert.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Everything I've heard is the goodyears are worse then the Pirelli's. Don't know anybody that liked them. As said above Nitto NT05's are supposedly great tires. Tread won't last a long time, maybe 15-20k. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are amazing, but you have to go with 255/40ZR20(.7" less then stock) and 285/35ZR20(.8" less then stock) which might mean a tune. I would have went this way if I could have got them cheaper.

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Malice

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyroche View Post
Everything I've heard is the goodyears are worse then the Pirelli's. Don't know anybody that liked them. As said above Nitto NT05's are supposedly great tires. Tread won't last a long time, maybe 15-20k. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are amazing, but you have to go with 255/40ZR20(.7" less then stock) and 285/35ZR20(.8" less then stock) which might mean a tune. I would have went this way if I could have got them cheaper.
I have a diablosport tuner, so I don't mind deviating in size just a little. My main concern is that the wider tires with smaller sidewalls will have difficulty fitting on my narrow stock wheels.

Do you know anyone who is running this combo? I'd like to hear thier 2 cents.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
I do not know anybody running these, my guess would be nineball would be a good member to ask, he is a vendor and very knowledgeable. I spoke to a guy at tire rack and he said there would be no problem putting 255s and 285s on the 8s and 9s... I even asked the techs at Nitto if I could run 255 up front because they don't make a 245 in the NT05 and they said the 255 would fit on the 8" fronts no problem.

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Michelin tires are very good, but they are expensive. I would run them on my car (non drag use), but at $400+ a tire, I have to pass.

GM switched to Michelins on the ZR1 because they outperformed the Goodyears.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Well, that tire will damn sure do the job as well as any. It works well for the ZL1. If you don't mind spending 2k for tires then I'd say you are done.

I recently had this choice to make. I chose the less expensive route that isn't perfect in the rain but is a grippier tire when it's dry. I went with the Nitto NTO5.

BUT, I'm no tire expert.
when you get those new rims PQ? they look much better . better look to the car.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I have the Super Sport, they grip very very well. Best tires out right now. Mine are shorter than stock as well and I have no problems. I like the thinner sidewall.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eMake=Michelin

But don't buy them at TireRack... I got them for cheaper here: http://tirecrawler.com And free shipping if its sent to a local Allen Tire

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
when you get those new rims PQ? they look much better . better look to the car.
They finally got here last week. LOVE them. The rubber has gotten more sticky over the last week so my car feels so much faster because they grip now.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
383_MAN

Drives: 2011 2SS CAMARO
I LOOKED FOR THESE SUPER SPORT TIRES AND TIRE CRAWLER AND TIRE RACK DONT HAVE THE TIRES
383_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Tirerack has them, they just don't show when you do a search. Go in under Brands and chech Michelin. Then select sizes, and you can scroll down and see the different sets of tires. Select Pilot Super Sports and the scroll down to the size you need.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Why not buy the stock Pirellis again?
DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #14
2SLW

Drives: 2013 SS
Where are you guys finding the best price on the Nitto NTO5? Not seeing them on Tire Rack...
2SLW is offline   Reply With Quote