Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southcentral

Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
kcamarom
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 CGM RS
Black out lights in OK

I am moving to Oklahoma after graduating high-school and want to tint my tailights I live in California and it is illegal. Is it illegal to tints lights in OK. Thanks.
kcamarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
camaro_eddie
Boomer Sooner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Not 100% on the law but I am tinting mine in two weeks. For the most part they leave you alone as long as the light can still shine through.
camaro_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
tbarber87

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS CGM Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcamarom View Post
I am moving to Oklahoma after graduating high-school and want to tint my tailights I live in California and it is illegal. Is it illegal to tints lights in OK. Thanks.
Just curious, what is motivating you to move to our great state? Let us know when you get here!! We would love you to come to our meets
tbarber87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
JWood
RJT 2LT is a blast

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2004 Tahoe
Just hope you don't get rear ended. "Officer I did not see his brake lights because they are tinted." Ops.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
springerpete
Orange GM freak

Drives: 2004 3500HD
I'm tinting mine dark grey and you will see that is very common here. As long as its not too dark.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
What product is everyone using to tint? As soon as it warms up, I want to continue blacking my stuff out. I just have the side light markers done for now. I want to do the tail light bezal and lens.
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarber87 View Post
Just curious, what is motivating you to move to our great state? Let us know when you get here!! We would love you to come to our meets
I would guess just to get out of California...
Old 01-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
try this, i think chapter 12 may answer your questions.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...OKST47&level=1

most states have a DMV website you can go to and get answers to vehicle equipment laws..
Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
1969Fbody

Drives: 1969 Firebird
Just to let you know by giving info and trying to be helpful. Tail lights by law technically have to be able to be seen at 1,000'.

Not 100% guarantee, but usually not too much to worry about with being cited (depends on officer, area, time, if tail lights are also brake lights, number of other variables) (most have better things to do), but could possibly be a major problem if it causes an accident which could cause problems with other driver's insurance covering your car damage or injuries if your car is rear ended.

Title 47-12-204A Vehicle Equipment Lamps and Lighting Devices

A. Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer, and any vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear, on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable which, when lighted, shall emit a red light visible from a distance of one thousand (1,000) feet to the rear; provided that, in the case of a combination of vehicles, only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified.

B. Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two (72) inches nor less than fifteen (15) inches.
1969Fbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
OKCwhiteKnight

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro 2015 Colorado
My son's cobaltSS/Sc has tinted lens, but with bright LED's...I did my HHR
tails, side markers with VHT Nightshades to control the darkness of tint
(less coats) although it does wear off over time

OKCwhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
kcamarom
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 CGM RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarber87 View Post
I am moving to Oklahoma to get out of California and Oklahoma is like a second home. I am a huge Sooners fan and will be going to school at OCCC, and Oklahoma is flat out just better than California, everyone in OK is nicer and the lifestyle in OK is slower pace.
kcamarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
Quote:
I am moving to Oklahoma to get out of California and Oklahoma is like a second home. I am a huge Sooners fan and will be going to school at OCCC, and Oklahoma is flat out just better than California, everyone in OK is nicer and the lifestyle in OK is slower pace.
Welcome!

bng804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
OuSoonersGirl
I need a V-1 BAD!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
for those who are tinting their lights, are you using the vinyl tint? i just blacked out my lights, well sort of. I bought the black outs from an awesome member here (BLACK10) and I applied most of them already. they look really good and it wasnt hard to put on. however i want my lights BLACKED out so they werent dark enough for me. BLACK10 is sending me some darker ones.

what is everyone else using?
OuSoonersGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
tbarber87

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS CGM Rally Stripes
Quote:
Awesome!! I received my Associates Degree from good ole O-trip and about to get my Bachelors from OU. We will keep an eye out for ya but definately let us know when you get here!!

Sorry I'm useless when it comes to your tail lights. . .laws arent my specialty
tbarber87 is offline   Reply With Quote