Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Tire recommendations

Hey guys quick question. Debating whether or not to go with
  • GOODYEAR F1 supercars again (STOCK TIRE)
  • NITTO 555R (DRAG RADIALS)
  • NITTO INVO

All of these I have heard great things of and am wanting more past experience. I have read a lot on here for them so I think I better ask for some opinions before hand!

Thanks guys
Old 11-13-2016, 02:06 AM   #2
BlackenedRR

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE, Recaros, NPP
If I still lived in AZ, I'd most likely be running MPSS now. But since I live in TX and it CAN (sometimes, when the weather makes up its mind) get cold and crappy during the winter, I'm running BFG Comp2 AS right now. First big rainfall after I put them on made me realize just how good of a decision they are!
BlackenedRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Tire recommendations

I miss simplicity. F1s on stock rims, year around on the street and one the track.

Today I run BF Goodrich GForce rivals on the stock ZL1 rims as my daily tire. They seem to do well in the rain but don't get much rain these days in NorCal. They don't get slippery in the cold like the F1s. I ran them on the track once and they make lots of noise unlike the F1s and the rivals felt much more greasy on the track.

I now run Pirelli Trofeo R's on the track on dedicated track wheels at 295/35/20. They are silent on the track and never feel greasy at all, but they are rated for nine total heat cycles only, I think. While being DOT approved the tires have warnings to not use them in the rain.

If you're thinking NITTO what about the NT01? A friend of mine who is a racer and instructor swears by them for dedicated home use and track use without having to change the tires for both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

My main worry would be the traction and how fast some of these tires wear. Some of the Nittos look like they would not last long on the rubber road/heat here in Arizona.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
nilfinite

Drives: Camaro 1LE
It really depends on what you want out of the tire. Based on personal experience, here are some recommendations.

Track (<8K miles): Bridgestone RE-71R
Canyon Carving (8K-12K miles): Hankook RS3
Spirited DD (12-15K miles): Goodyear F1 (stock tire)
Max Miles (15K+): BFG Comp 2
nilfinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
Mrgwrnch
Pay attention to details

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I'm up against the same situation with my newly acquired ZL1. The F1's are very slippery when it's cold out and give very little warning when they let loose. I'm thinking of purchasing G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S for my daily driver which may never be driven on a track. Tire Rack ranks them very highly. I'm looking for something with good traction during dry weather since it won't ever see the rain. The price point of the BFG's is also what's appealing. Is this a good call?
Mrgwrnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Mrgwrnch
Pay attention to details

Drives: 2012 ZL1
This is what's leaning me towards the BFG's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp
Mrgwrnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #8
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443844
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Bump-running bald and need rears. How are R888 proxies
Old 01-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
Scotty D2014

Drives: 2014 SS1-1le Crystal red metallic
I have the nitto invo's. .. 295/35/20 like them a lot !!!
Scotty D2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #11
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
R888s will have a very low tread life. I know it isn't part of your list but you may want to look into the MPSS. I like them quite a bit. If it wasn't for the horrible tread life of the G2s, I would run them again but I cant justify changing the rears every 8-10k miles and the pucker moments they gave me in the FL rain.

I feel as if the MPSS is the tire where you have good traction with a good tread life. For DD/occasional autox application that is. I got about 25k on the rears for the MPSS before I changed them.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #12
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Ugh.... another tire thread to make my next purchase more confusing
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:18 PM   #13
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
A thread about autocross tires, and this thread had me thinking about replacements in about 5k miles.

For the price, and the weather in Austin, the OEM F1s seem like the best option.

You can tell approximately how long a tire will last by the treadwear rating, the OEM goodyears are 220. (higher number, longer wear)

R-71R are 200 - ran previous gen of these tires as a daily and track day tire, good, but not as good as NT01R as expected (NT01R netted 3 seconds improvement on a 1.8mile course). Curious how the 71r compare to the F1.

Invos - I don't see these in 285/35/20. in 285/30 the treadwear is 260, so they should last a little bit longer than F1's. But you'll have smaller sidewalls by 5%. Might give you shorter gearing though (depends, Nittos sometimes run large-ish) I think these won't be quite as good as the F1s.

The Nitto NT01R are 100. (best tires I've had on the track)

The R888's are 100.

For me, I don't want to downgrade in grip. I live off of and drive every day on twisty roads. I don't want squirmy tires that grip less than the F1's. And on tirerack they are far cheaper than the other tires worth (to me) putting on the car. Though the R-71r's are only about $50 more per tire, the closest tire worth considering, $200 more in all, and less treadwear than the F1s. On these twisty roads with the F1, I definitely think they are about the right amount of grip, any less and I'd be frustrated.

So far for the rainy days we've had here, I haven't had much trouble at all with the F1's. I'm always a bit cautious and have yet to have a scary moment. When they are closer to being done I'm sure it will be more sketchy since there will be not much groove left to disperse water.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #14
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
One thing I forgot to mention - if you care about it.

Nitto tends to be a heavy tire. Adding unsprung weight to the car is generally a bad thing, unless you're trading for outright grip (like with the NT01R). Less feel, more work for the suspension to control that mass, slightly reduced accel, etc.

I haven't checked tire weights in a long time, but if I recall correctly Michelin and Pirelli tend to be lighter than others.

The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are rated at 300 for treadwear. This implies to me that they are likely less grippy than the F1. But of course will give you more miles. They also cost $125 more per corner.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote