Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Lets be realistic for a moment..

I'm happy the Camaro's back for a 5th generation as are all of you, but there's a lot of changes that lie ahead for GM and its product line across its various brands, and what these changes mean for GM could (and will) have a major impact on our favorite GM product;the Camaro. I have the fear with the intense need for government assistance and increased scrutiny on behalf of the general public as well as the goverment, that after this generation of Camaro this could well be the last, either for a time or forever. Now I'm all for enjoying the here and now and making the most of the experience, but I can't help but wonder...6th gen?? Let's hope GM risese to the occasion and that it happens. On the other side of the equation it looks like GM has pro-longed quite a few existing programs, so the 5thgen may be here a while more than we expect.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
We'll be looking at ALL current-gens for quite awhile. GM (and everyone else) simply doesn't have the money to throw into updates that they used to. What little money they can muster up will probably go towards cars like the Volt.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
RallyFever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
that's why I love this car....it's timeless.
A retro throwback to the late 60's.
I don't want it updated and changed with new styling; the old school styling is what hooked me in the first place, otherwise, I would have kept my vette.

This is my first and last Camaro.
RallyFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
we cant know what the future will hold... thats for sure

welcome back scotsman
Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
maybe the gen5 will be like the C3... which was around from '68 - '82 Imagine that, the same bodystyle in 2024...
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I would expect revised models and upcoming generations to be delayed due to the lack of R&D money. GM is in trouble, but it is abundantly clear that the federal government is making a priority of fixing the market. The current administration has decided to pass some of this responsibility to the next administration, so we may not see the changes GM needs until February. Obviously, this could be terrible for GM operations as many employees may have shifts cut or products without any production for short periods of time.

I am terrified that the best manufacturer on Earth will cease to exist. The end of GM will plunge the entire world market into a very dark place. It is the responsibility of the US government to protect its innocent citizens from the problems of a guilty market. Without discussing the placement of that guilt, I think we can all agree that GM, Ford, and Chrysler all deserve and need to be bailed out in the very near future.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
innocent citizens
why innocent? i think they/we've contributed our fair share to the demise of the car industry. they/we could've demanded smaller, more fuel efficient cars instead of escalades, tahoes and suburbans a long time ago. but nope, fuel consumption was on nobody's mind when gas prices were $1.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
why innocent? i think they/we've contributed our fair share to the demise of the car industry. they/we could've demanded smaller, more fuel efficient cars instead of escalades, tahoes and suburbans a long time ago. but nope, fuel consumption was on nobody's mind when gas prices were $1.
I was mainly referring to the overall market crisis, not just the automotive market. All this time, I've been in college. I'm innocent. Most reasonable people will follow their common sense and rationally choose based on what other people are doing. A lot of people created this mess, but the fact that so many people are involved leads one to question whether the mistake is something that bears guilt or whether it is an accident. I don't mean to butt heads or anything, but I do want to point out that most people wouldn't make a decision if they knew it would hurt them or others later. Most people aren't that deliberate in doing harm. We all want an America with strong consumer confidence and a booming, successful economy.

You're right about fuel prices and fuel consumption when the prices were cheaper. We as a society are responsible for our oil dependency.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Who knows what the next Camaro might be like? With the right shift in engine technology, what we know as "Camaro" today might not look anything like the 6th gen, and that very well could be a very good thing.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #10
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
maybe the gen5 will be like the C3... which was around from '68 - '82 Imagine that, the same bodystyle in 2024...
Or the 2nd and 3rd gen. Camaros.
They were pretty darn similar from '70 to '81

Last edited by TheClassicCarKid; 11-11-2008 at 11:34 AM.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:58 AM   #11
Max
Banned

Drives: 06 Roush Supercharged GT 427HP
a lot of people are loosing there jobs around here.and i think a new car is not on the list right now.GM knows this, look at the lots they still have alot 08 models.It's not the right time and this is bad for any auto maker.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 AM   #12
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post

I'm not trying to be harsh here but you need to do some research into why, until recently, the price of gas was through the roof. It had very little to do with driving SUVs and pickup trucks. Hate to break it to you but hybrids and more responsible driving is NOT the reason why gas prices are now half of what they were last year.

Quick enlightenment -- In 1999, our gov't made a poor decision to revoke the Glass-Steagall act. That removed regulation and oversight on the investment market and the banking industry. The Banking industry bubble pop and fallout has been beaten to death. However, I have heard little talk about how the price of gas has fallen and why. Here's why. The Glass-Steagall act required investors to take possession of energy resources if they began investing in energy futures etc. When that Act was revoked, the wealthy investors could now invest in energy futures without having to store oil, gas, etc. Thus, the wealthy investors artificially drove up demand on gas and forced you and I to pay a ridiculous amount at the pump. If the Glass-Steagall act (or something similar) is not put back in place, then the price of gas will skyrocket again as the market recovers.

Want to know what the price of gas will be tomorrow? Go here: NYMEX and look at the RBOB value. In the most simplistic terms, that is what a gallon of gas costs tapped off the pipeline BEFORE things such as distribution, tax, detergent additives, and profit are piled on top. Watch the change in the RBOB value -- the gas prices will change at the pump accordingly a day or two later.
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #13
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyFever View Post
that's why I love this car....it's timeless.
A retro throwback to the late 60's.
I don't want it updated and changed with new styling; the old school styling is what hooked me in the first place, otherwise, I would have kept my vette.

This is my first and last Camaro.
couldnt have said it better, exactly my thoughts
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I think most R&D money for a while will go to making more fuel efficent power trains. And I feel like they will start plugging them into all the current cars. Along with maybe looking into weight reductions while keeping structural integrity.
If the government does approve a financial assistance program for the auto industry I think there will be ties to creating more Hybrids/Electric vehicles along wiht making current cars more fuel efficent.

I don't think we will see much change in the design of any current vehicles that make it past the chopping block.