Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Essentials for me (in order of my priority): leather, HIDs, power, HUD - I don't really want to get rid of many amenities, but in the name of saving weight, there are some I'd sacrifice, so long as there was also a cost benefit. I really wouldn't be too interested in adding too many more extras, like HUD or touch screen, but if we're going all out, and we'd only be loosing 20-30 pounds and a few hundred dollar, I won't complain.

Okay - I won't complain at all as long as Z28 comes back

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #16
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Okay - I won't complain at all as long as Z28 comes back
The only complaint I have is the 2 year wait........
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Why wouldnt you want power windows? It costs gm more to make a crank up window now a days, and the power windows are actually lighter.

For a z28...hmmmm

Okay

Cloth non powered seats w/ratcheting up/down.
Live axle
no rs package...ie halos
1le option....radio delete hvac delete
1le suspension upgrade with or without hvac delete
thinner glass
lighter wheels
thinner carpet/ headliner/ no sound deadener
bigger radiator
no auto
oil cooler
only available in 3 color options.
no sunroof
CF hood and trunk
then whatever motor the general wants to put in it.

They should really hire me at GM.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Why wouldnt you want power windows? It costs gm more to make a crank up window now a days, and the power windows are actually lighter.

For a z28...hmmmm

Okay

Cloth non powered seats w/ratcheting up/down.
Live axle
no rs package...ie halos
1le option....radio delete hvac delete
1le suspension upgrade with or without hvac delete
thinner glass
lighter wheels
thinner carpet/ headliner/ no sound deadener
bigger radiator
no auto
oil cooler
only available in 3 color options.
no sunroof
CF hood and trunk
then whatever motor the general wants to put in it.

They should really hire me at GM.

Thats actually a really awsome list. Im all for a stripped down Z/28, im kinda on the fences on whether id like it better as the Z/28 being only a stripped down performance car period (would keep the performance gurus at the top of the ladder instead of the rich suburb daddys) but then again there may be benefits to a 2Z/28 package as well, so eh its tough...but this is as close to a perfect description as ive heard yet nice goin man, i especially like the "no sound deadener" but i do think it should have a few more "Z/28 exclusive" colors
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Mmm... 2Z28... Grr...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #20
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
I've heard so many people bash the live rear axles on this forum I can't believe someone actually recommended it as an option. Although it won't happen I don't think it would be a bad idea. Read the sticky about the LSA engine that was posted today and you will see that the LSA weighs almost 150 lbs. more than the LS3. Given the current weight of the SS, GM should seriously think of ways to cut down on the weight before they have a 4100+ lb. Z28.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #21
Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
I've heard so many people bash the live rear axles on this forum I can't believe someone actually recommended it as an option. Although it won't happen I don't think it would be a bad idea. Read the sticky about the LSA engine that was posted today and you will see that the LSA weighs almost 150 lbs. more than the LS3. Given the current weight of the SS, GM should seriously think of ways to cut down on the weight before they have a 4100+ lb. Z28.

Agreed, id like to see a Z/28 specific engine, smaller displacement, higher revving, lots of power, lots of durability, while shaving the weight, sounds awsome but i doubt GM would put the time and money into it just to put it into one trim level of one car =/

As for live rear axles idk, im still undecided, they definatly stand up to performance better but if the Z/28 is to be a bigger handling upgrade than performance upgrade then id think the live rear would be better, as long as they add a 3.73 rear, or a 3.98 or something with a sweeeet ratio like that

Last edited by Vega; 09-25-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typos =/
Old 09-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Well - even though it's been stated the IRS will hold up to more than something like 600+ horse' (and I question if it would on the strip/track with sticky tires...) stock there's just no way it has the strength of an 8.8", 9", or 60. LOL. Can you imagine a Dana 60 on the back of one of these cars?! Shoot. We all complain about weight, and that thing weighs like 220+ pounds (like 60 more pounds than the 10-bolt in the 4th Gen - my numbers may be a little off, but don't bite my head off ) but that would hold up without a problem. I could swear I read SS comes with a 8.75" ring gear or something, so that ain't too bad at all

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #23
Vega

true, my only concerns with the Z/28 would be keeping it (hopefully) lower priced than the GT500, cutting down on weight, and getting a rear end that will keep the tires glued to the ground...the GT500s BIG disadvantage is it has so much horsepower the rear end cant hold it all down, it tends to have lots of tire spin which in one Motortrend comparison made the SS Camaro allllmost match performance with it (margain of like 0.2 quarter mile)
Old 09-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #24
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Agreed, id like to see a Z/28 specific engine, smaller displacement, higher revving, lots of power, lots of durability, while shaving the weight, sounds awsome but i doubt GM would put the time and money into it just to put it into one trim level of one car =/

As for live rear axles idk, im still undecided, they definatly stand up to performance better but if the Z/28 is to be a bigger handling upgrade than performance upgrade then id think the live rear would be better, as long as they add a 3.73 rear, or a 3.98 or something with a sweeeet ratio like that

SAY WHAT?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #25
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Is it cast iron?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #26
Vega

oops, thanks for pointing that out 2cnd Chance, i meant the IRS would be better for a handling scenario, haha, my bad

And yeah the LSA has a few modified parts to accomidate the extra horsepower and the supercharger system and all adds the weight...but with the extra 125hp id say its a fair trade haha
Old 09-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #27
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
It would work, if it were 1998. Nowadays every nail biting patsy would cry foul if this thing weren't packed to the gills with airbags and stuck inside a squishy camaro sized hamsterball. Friggin NHTSAA...
I agree, thats why I listed the 1/2 Z/28 options that are loaded like the SS. Folks that can't take the heat stay out the kitchen and get a fully loaded versions People who want to play then the 1LE is for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Is it cast iron?
Nope, the supercharger, I/C, oil cooler, and whatever else adds weight.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #28
hamidar05

Drives: 10 Camaro/69 Bronco/08 Mazda3
As I have said before, Z/28 has become a marketing tool to sell at a premium. I would love to see GM to continue on throw-back path, not holding my breath. We need to reinstitute the manufacturer race competitions. They have to build and sell what they race, like the American Iron series.
VIN# 34612
Bitchin Camaro - Dead Milkmen - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/8092
Thank You Oshawa - Domo arigato Mr. Roboto
~1600 mi so far - 07/18/10
hamidar05 is offline   Reply With Quote