Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Broken Transmission Output Shaft
Broke my output shaft Sunday night. Vin 13782. Third or fourth launch in competition mode. Also made three or four with traction control and competition mode turned off between 2500 and 3500 rpm. I am afraid this is not limited to a certain batch of vehicles. 4200 rpm dumps too much energy into the drive train. I don't think ABS kicking in to limit wheel spin can help either. ABS is supposed to be less aggressive in competition mode. ABS may kick in too soon and be part of the problem. I think competition mode will break any drive train sooner or later.

This appears to be similar to the problem they had with the Nissan GT-R last year. They soon said use of launch mode on solid surface voids warranty. They said it was only for getting out of ice or slippery surface. This year they reduced rev limiter from around 4200 to 3200 rpm.

DON'T USE COMPETITION MODE. You don't need it. Turn it and traction control off by holding button down for seven seconds. Launch between 3000 and 3200 rpm by driving out. Don't dump clutch but don't slip it either. CAUTION: slipping the clutch will burn up the clutch. Let clutch out like taking off from a stop and press gas pedal like taking off from a stop, don't stomp it. This should be much easier on entire drive line and will help 60 foot times.

I love my car but I am holding on to my JD Powers new car survey to see how long this takes to be repaired. More than a week is too long. If you haven't returned your survey yet, you may want to hold onto it.

Last edited by nuptualnemesis; 08-05-2009 at 09:03 AM.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #16
coolman

That's funny lauch control is for getting out of mud and ice.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis View Post
Broken Transmission Output Shaft
Broke my output shaft Sunday night. Vin 13782. Third or fourth launch in competition mode. Also made three or four with traction control and competition mode turned off between 2500 and 3500 rpm. I am afraid this is not limited to a certain batch of vehicles. 4200 rpm dumps too much energy into the drive train. I don't think ABS kicking in to limit wheel spin can help either. ABS is supposed to be less aggressive in competition mode. ABS may kick in too soon and be part of the problem. I think competition mode will break any drive train sooner or later.

This appears to be similar to the problem they had with the Nissan GT-R last year. They soon said use of launch mode on solid surface voids warranty. They said it was only for getting out of ice or slippery surface. This year they reduced rev limiter from around 4200 to 3200 rpm.

DON'T USE COMPETITION MODE. You don't need it. Turn it and traction control off by holding button down for seven seconds. Launch between 3000 and 3200 rpm by driving out. Don't dump clutch but don't slip it either. CAUTION: slipping the clutch will burn up the clutch. Let clutch out like taking off from a stop and press gas pedal like taking off from a stop, don't stomp it. This should be much easier on entire drive line and will increase 60 foot times.

I love my car but I am holding on to my JD Powers new car survey to see how long this takes to be repaired. More than a week is too long. If you haven't returned your survey yet, you may want to hold onto it.
Have you been contacted by GM regarding this? It sounds awfully similar to the limited number of transmission failures a couple weeks ago. Yours might be one of them.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #18
BMT CAMERO

Drives: 2010 CAMARO IS BLACK SS2RS #2599
LEAK ON REAREND DRAIN PLUG NEW ONE SOLVED THE PROBLEM
BMT CAMERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #19
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
So far recently delivered cars don't seem to be having issues, or due to the fact we have the list available people are actually checking everything out and getting it fixed before they even accept the car. They don't bother posting because most likely the issue is resolved before the person even drives it home.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #20
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
Passenger A pillar moulding replaced, weatherstrip that attaches to bottom of rear window came loose and had to be replaced (you can only see this weatherstrip when the trunk is open). Spoiler nuts loose. Rear defogger not working (goes in tomorrow to fix this). Still, with the (minor) problems, I love this car!!! BTW, it IS a first year model of a completely new design, and we are going to have a few problems... I can live with that.
FrankT is offline   Reply With Quote