Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #15
adbarnett5

Drives: 2018 LT
Yea... gonna be too much money. Going thru insurance, car in the shop atm :*( besides the insurance bastards need to give me back some of my $
adbarnett5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #16
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
First: As a fellow SGM owner I am feeling your pain. Second: If it started hailing that big and the car wasn't under cover I would've been laying on top of it to absorb the blows lol.

Definitely let insurance take care of it, make sure though that you take it to an actual show car body shop, not some collision or dealer repair shop. Its worth the extra $$$
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #17
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbarnett5 View Post
You guys just recommend replacing parts on the car before trying to get them out with a 120$ PDR kit...?
PDR is an art form, it requires much experience/practice before results would be acceptable. Without a lot of practice it will likely end up doing further damage to the dent. The hood on the Camaro is aluminum, the fenders and trunk are steel, working each area will be different. Looking at the pics you posted shows the aluminum hood did not stand up well to the hail.
If you really want to get a kit and try it ... probably be best to experiment first on an old car part. There are MANY PDR clips uploaded to youtube by PDR Pros that do this for a living which shows the process and full set of tools needed.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #18
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Definitely pet a pro do it. Have your insurance look at it and give you an estimate. Then take it to a PDR place. See if they will work with you in regards to the deductible. Most will.

I would highly recomend START TO FINISH PDR, in San Antonio. Talk to Mauro, guy is a magician!

Best of luck OP.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #19
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
This Storm?

https://youtu.be/LIMAl5EsKrA
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #20
cohocarl

Drives: 2015 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbarnett5 View Post
Makes no sense to me to start buying up all these parts. That's gonna probably get expensive and be over 1k and in that case, I might as well get my insurance to do it.
Yes, I'd let the pro's fix it, and definitely get insurance involved. Are you positive you will have a deductible on hail damage? "Natural causes" may have different or no deductible...

When I saw the pic of your damage, I almost cried myself. Look at the good point...it may be faster and get better fuel mileage now. Don't they put dimples on golf balls to make them fly farther? (sorry).
cohocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #21
Sickness91Z28
Reaper Crew

Drives: Blown 2010 Camaro SS
I do PDR for a living and those dents look pretty nasty....especially the hood being aluminum. If the dents are to deep to get out 100%, a lot of insurance companies are doing "push to paint" so a PDR guy can go in, fluff the dent up flat, and a body guy can go through and finish it out....barely using any filler, then of coarse repaint the panels that need it.

That most recent storm out in Texas was so bad that a lot of panels are going to need replaced on thousands of cars. What happens then is that there will be a shortage of replacement panels, so the insurance has no choice but to "push to paint" because the parts will not be available for a very long time.

2010 Camaro SS
SLP TVS2300 Blower, Blower Cam, Lingenfelter Heads, Meth Injected, 5lbs of Boost@700 BHP
Pedders XA Coilovers
Sickness91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote