Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Went to pay for the car today and a major discovery made me back out. What now?

I was tossing between black and orange. I have a black one on order with another dealer for backup but I really want orange.

Now most dealers in my area are over the top with markup and I dont like it. 3-10k over sticker.

The dealer I ordered the black car is a 3k markup over MSRP

Ok there is a small Chevy dealer near my house and I didnt even think they had a Camaro until last week I saw it in the window.

The manager told me he will sell it at MSRP of $36,000. Well I went there today to buy it but I brought my body shop friend along to show him the car.

Well surprise is the entire drivers side of the car was repainted, fender, door, quarter, door pillar and rear bumper.

It looks good but there is lots of clearcoat overspray in the door jambs and creases. Its rough near the edge of the back window and it just pissed me off. its not factory fresh.

Well the Manager then told me it was damaged and painted and he would take another $500 off. I said NO DEAL. I mean everyone knows that once a car is repainted it will affect resale value and Orange isnt an easy color to blend and match.

If this guy would sell me the car for under 30k i would buy it but I am not paying MSRP for a car that had all this work done.

I am so pissed today because I wanted the car this week so I can drive it before snowfall.

Now I think its not going to happen til after the winter and maybe by then I can get a decent deal below MSRP with none of this price gouging markup BS which in my opinion should be illegal especially on a car made in this high volume.

I still dont get it as to where all these Camaros are because its being made in decent numbers.

Now the search goes on. Ebay has a ton but all of them are marked up in the 40k+ range so screw them even for ones USED.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
I was tossing between black and orange. I have a black one on order with another dealer for backup but I really want orange.

Now most dealers in my area are over the top with markup and I dont like it. 3-10k over sticker.

Ok there is a small Chevy dealer near my house and I didnt even think they had a Camaro until last week I saw it in the window.

The manager told me he will sell it at MSRP of $36,000. Well I went there today to buy it but I brought my body shop friend along to show him the car.

Well surprise is the entire drivers side of the car was repainted, fender, door, quarter, door pillar and rear bumper.

It looks good but there is lots of clearcoat overspray in the door jambs and creases. Its rough near the edge of the back window and it just pissed me off. its not factory fresh.

Well the Manager then told me it was damaged and painted and he would take another $500 off. I said NO DEAL. I mean everyone knows that once a car is repainted it will affect resale value and Orange isnt an easy color to blend and match.

If this guy would sell me the car for under 30k i would buy it but I am not paying MSRP for a car that had all this work done.

I am so pissed today because I wanted the car this week so I can drive it before snowfall.

Now I think its not going to happen til after the winter and maybe by then I can get a decent deal below MSRP with none of this price gouging markup BS which in my opinion should be illegal especially on a car made in this high volume.

I still dont get it as to where all these Camaros are because its being made in decent numbers.

Now the search goes on. Ebay has a ton but all of them are marked up in the 40k+ range so screw them even for ones USED.
How far from central Pa are you? Their are many dealers selling at or below msrp. Lake in mifflin county just got an orange 2ss in.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
SStevieD

Drives: CamaroSS
Can't believe dealerships are still having markups that high. Ones I have visited back in the summer have taken off their markups and are selling at MSRP or $500 below now. Yeah I don't blame you for stepping out. I would too. I wouldnt want anybodys error neither.
SStevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
I'd either plan on travelling to a sane dealer that will sell at less than MSRP or I'd hold out past winter...you never know what surprises the General might unleash during your wait. I know it's hard to wait, but you did the right thing by walking away from the wreck.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Want to take a road trip? Well, fly in and drive home? My dealer has 7 on the lot including (2) inferno orange and (2) blacks. One of the oranges is a car the owner has been driving as a demo- maybe a good deal can be had? Several Camaro5 members have bought from him... $500 over invoice as a C5 member...

PM me if you're interested.

www.joebasilchevrolet.com

Last edited by trm0002; 10-19-2009 at 04:24 PM.
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
I'd either plan on travelling to a sane dealer that will sell at less than MSRP or I'd hold out past winter...you never know what surprises the General might unleash during your wait. I know it's hard to wait, but you did the right thing by walking away from the wreck.
I think Its a good choice to wait. When mine didn't work out that's what I did. I do have my wife's 2lt to drive though. That helps a little. Although It's getting ready to hibernate for the winter.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
55, there are plenty of cars available AT MARP. there are a couple of salesman on our site, like scotty. considering you are welling to pay extra, how about a MSRP IOM SS/RS? you can go to the TEXAS forum, I have a thread there, my dealer has one, and a RJT SS/RS BOTH are at MSRP....fly in, drive it home. Give Tommy a call and he can have it all set up. all teh info is there in teh first post....encluding their address, website, everything. IF you want one, its only a plane ride one way adn drive it home.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post

what dealer was it .im in westchester also
Old 10-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Coolman and anyone else PM your dealers info. I dont need to drive I can easily have the car transported to me for under a grand.

I would truly love to pay under MSRP. I am ready to buy ASAP so I hope some sales guys see this and contact me.

I want Inferno Orange, Black leather 6 speed No SUNROOF.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
That's BS. You'd think if we have to report more than $5k in damage, the dealer should have to also. Crooked.
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
That's BS. You'd think if we have to report more than $5k in damage, the dealer should have to also. Crooked.
Doesn't sound like a lot of damage. Sounds more like they repainted the whole side of the car for color match. Could be wrong?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
Tony Crimi

Drives: "2007" Chevy Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
Well i sell here in Michigan. And anything over $700 in damage has to be signed for by the customer.

Tony
Vic Canever Chevrolet.
810-750-1329
Tony Crimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I agree that avoiding the car with a bad repaint is prudent.

But to expect him to come down 6K is a bit extreme. You could probably (and I'm just guessing) have to whole car resprayed by your favorite body shop for less.

They will likely find a buyer that either a) won't know the difference and or b) won't have anyone with them that notices the difference. So I doubt they would move that much. But I'd work him a little more and see how far they go.

Also, "Damaged and repainted" means what? Paint damage? Scratched up? or dents and more major damage you can't see? Did it require body work or just paint?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
djinva
Bow Tie Fan

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
It was probably damaged in transit, this happens more often than you think. Alot of folks wouldn't catch it. I agree if the price is low enough you can straighten it out, but since they are selling so good I would not expect it.
12 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Instagram: djinva88
djinva is offline   Reply With Quote