Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Some of the vulcanized patches will. Unless you plan on doing over 120 mph i wouldnt really worry about it.. tires probably wear out before then
Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeemego View Post
Went out to the ZL1 around lunch time to give a fellow worker a ride. Cranked it up an we commented on how great the exhaust sounded. Started toward the exit and then I saw the orange tire symbol on the dash, damn!!

15 pounds of air in the LR tire. Lucky it was not a fast leak and I made it to a tire store about 1 mile away.

Good news the repair only took 30 mins, the bad news is the tire machine scratched the wheel

The manager said he will take car of the wheel repair.

Oh well. Guess that gets the first cosmetic damage out of the way. Hope it is the last.

Gary
...I can feel for you bro, seems almost every time I got a new car I picked up something and got a flat within the first 1K miles....glad it's all all working out for you....
Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
IROC U

Drives: 1986 Camaro IROC-Z; 2012 Camaro ZL1
My Z had a roofing nail go almost in the sidewall (internally it had to be in the sidewall) the 3rd day I had the car. I just happened to see it. It didn't appear to be leaking. I went to the tire store. The guy immediately told me that it couldn't be repaired. He went and got a bottle of fluid and sprayed the nail area. No bubbles. He got some pliers and started removing the nail very slowly. I was praying don't leak, don't leak. He kept pulling ever so slowly until he finally pulled it all the way out. No leak! I'm Pentecostal and I wanted to do a dance in the parking lot (everyone probably would have thought I was crazy) but I was dancing on the inside. Thank you Jesus that I didn't have to order a tire!
IROC U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
G8GT4now

Drives: 14 SS Sedan
How will they "repair" the scratch? Do you have black or polished wheels?
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #19
not fast

Drives: 69 z28 & pace car
air pump in trunk
not fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #20
RobMorgan

Drives: 12 ZL1,ZR1, 57, 60, 67 vette Harley
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Yes.. the tire repair kits are good. But you still need AIR to go in it. Keep in mind, don't just buy "any" tire kit. The good ones come with better than average hole reamers. They are not all the same so look around first!

On trips I carry my own 10 gal canister of compressed air.. so you can plug it and make it to wherever.

I still want a donut for my ZL1. Gotta find something!
Unless someone took it - you have an air pump from the factory where the spare tire should be and these are run flat tires - so unless there is a major hole, you should be able to inflate to get pretty much anywhere and should not have a traditional blow out like you would in a non run flat.
ZL1 SIM, MN6, ECF #541
RobMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #21
sammyv

Drives: 2013 red Lingenfelter ZL1
So the tires on the ZL1 are not runflats?
sammyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #22
SSeemego

Drives: 2016 1SS Hyper Blue 6M MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyv View Post
So the tires on the ZL1 are not runflats?
They are NOT run flats.

Gary
SSeemego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #23
SSeemego

Quote:
Originally Posted by not fast View Post
air pump in trunk
Thanks.

Gary
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #24
SSeemego

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now View Post
How will they "repair" the scratch? Do you have black or polished wheels?
Not sure on the repair technique that will be used. The tire store manager said he would be happy to let me select the repair source. He will talk to his contact at the "Wheel Doctor" and we will then discuss the action plan. I will have to check around to find a recommended wheel repair place.

The wheels are black.

Gary
Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #25
SSeemego

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...I can feel for you bro, seems almost every time I got a new car I picked up something and got a flat within the first 1K miles....glad it's all all working out for you....
Thanks for the empathy I know its always something.

I have been lucky though. The last flat tire i had was on my 2001 C5 Z06. There has been 5 cars since then with run flats and non run flat tires.

Gary
Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #26
G8GT4now

Drives: 14 SS Sedan
Those wheels are probably clear coated too. I had a bad experience with an attempted scratch repair on my black wheels. The paint did not match the other wheels and eventually the dealer had to order new wheels.
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #27
RobMorgan

Drives: 12 ZL1,ZR1, 57, 60, 67 vette Harley
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeemego View Post
They are NOT run flats.

Gary
They are in fact run flats

The Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 (Generation 2) ROF (RunOnFlat) is Goodyear’s Extreme Performance Summer, self-supporting run-flat tire initially developed as Original Equipment (O.E.) for 2011 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 sports cars. The Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 ROF is designed to be street-refined and track-capable by combining an aggressive appearance with awe-inspiring performance. Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
The Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 ROF features a race-inspired tread compound molded into a unique asymmetric and directional tread design that rewards the driver with a blend of dry road traction (from massive outboard shoulder tread blocks) combined with wet road confidence (provided by Eagle F1 GS-D3 inspired sweeping Aquachannel grooves on the inboard side).
The tire's structure includes twin, high-tensile steel belts reinforced with spirally wound nylon that distribute the vehicle's load across the tire's footprint to provide high-speed durability and uniform ride qualities. Internal construction enhances steering precision and high-speed stability while the tire's reinforced sidewalls are capable of temporarily supporting the weight of the car even when all the air pressure is gone. Exterior sidewall rim flange protectors help guard wheels from curb damage.
Since Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 applications feature staggered tire/wheel size fitments, they will require position-specific (RF, RR, LF and LR) tires.
NOTE: RunOnFlat tires are only recommended for vehicles that are originally equipped with self-supporting run-flat tires and equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system.
ZL1 SIM, MN6, ECF #541
RobMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
SSeemego

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMorgan View Post
They are in fact run flats

The Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 (Generation 2) ROF (RunOnFlat) is Goodyear’s Extreme Performance Summer, self-supporting run-flat tire initially developed as Original Equipment (O.E.) for 2011 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 sports cars. The Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 ROF is designed to be street-refined and track-capable by combining an aggressive appearance with awe-inspiring performance. Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
The Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 ROF features a race-inspired tread compound molded into a unique asymmetric and directional tread design that rewards the driver with a blend of dry road traction (from massive outboard shoulder tread blocks) combined with wet road confidence (provided by Eagle F1 GS-D3 inspired sweeping Aquachannel grooves on the inboard side).
The tire's structure includes twin, high-tensile steel belts reinforced with spirally wound nylon that distribute the vehicle's load across the tire's footprint to provide high-speed durability and uniform ride qualities. Internal construction enhances steering precision and high-speed stability while the tire's reinforced sidewalls are capable of temporarily supporting the weight of the car even when all the air pressure is gone. Exterior sidewall rim flange protectors help guard wheels from curb damage.
Since Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 applications feature staggered tire/wheel size fitments, they will require position-specific (RF, RR, LF and LR) tires.
NOTE: RunOnFlat tires are only recommended for vehicles that are originally equipped with self-supporting run-flat tires and equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system.
Rob,
Just out of curiousity what is the source of the the information you posted above.

Gary