Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
VVT on the new Camaro

I am pretty unfamiliar with the mechanics of VVT. I understand the concept, but that is about it. I was wondering, if the new Camaro does have VVT as everyone is predicting, will that complicate the process of doing a cam swap?

Also, I was looking at the specification for the escalade that curently uses the 6.2L. that thing gets 20mpg highway! That is incredible for a 403HP engine moving a vehicle that weighs like 7,500 lbs, and it doesn't even have DoD (at least I don't think it does).... Think about that... this engine in the camaro could easily get over 30 mpg with 400+HP... amazing!
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm not a mechanic by trade, but I believe VVT uses electronics-via the onboard computer-to speed up or slow down the Cam rotations depending on engine load. so it would speed up a little to let air in sooner and exaust out sooner to get a little more power and fuel economy...Don't know if that would effect a cam swap, it would probably make it more difficult to actually swap but that's about it
Old 03-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I am pretty unfamiliar with the mechanics of VVT. I understand the concept, but that is about it. I was wondering, if the new Camaro does have VVT as everyone is predicting, will that complicate the process of doing a cam swap?

Also, I was looking at the specification for the escalade that curently uses the 6.2L. that thing gets 20mpg highway! That is incredible for a 403HP engine moving a vehicle that weighs like 7,500 lbs, and it doesn't even have DoD (at least I don't think it does).... Think about that... this engine in the camaro could easily get over 30 mpg with 400+HP... amazing!
My RSX has the iVTEC (Intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control) system, which is similiar. I have a DOHC engine and the VTEC opens up the secondary intake valves at 5000 RPM to the 8100 RPM redline, so that the maximum HP and torque is at a higher RPM. At a lower RPM, its a very efficient, fuel sipping grocery getter. I don't think the Camaro's VVT will be exactly the same since a push rod engine will naturally create high torque at low RPM, but it should improve the top end perfomance and greatly enhance the fuel economy. The new Mustangs have VVT in them, and they perform way better than the older Mustangs did.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:43 AM   #4
SSRich

Drives: 1967 camaroSS
I dont know to much about these new engines but what is a VVT?
SSRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #5
necromant

Drives: Honda Civic
i think it stands for variable valve timing?

atleast that is what it does...
necromant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #6
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
Variable Valve Timing
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:55 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
My RSX has the iVTEC (Intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control) system, which is similiar.
yup
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by necromant View Post
i think it stands for variable valve timing?

atleast that is what it does...
Yes, I was referring to variable valve timing
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Check this out:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Valve_Timing>

This one has a nice animation:

<http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm>

This page has the animation for a pushrod engine:

<http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft1.htm>

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
And from the GM Media Online site:

"Variable valve timing

Variable valve timing (VVT) is a standard feature on 6.0L and 6.2L engines; it helps optimize camshaft timing to improve low-rpm torque and high-rpm horsepower. The introduction of variable valve timing through the unique dual-equal cam phaser is the industry’s first application of VVT on a mass-produced V-8 cam-in-block engine. The unique dual-equal phaser adjusts the camshaft timing at the same rate for both the intake and exhaust valves.

The system incorporates a vane-type camshaft phaser that changes the angular orientation of the camshaft, thereby adjusting the timing of the intake and exhaust valves to optimize performance and economy, and help lower emissions. It offers infinitely variable valve timing in relation to the crankshaft. The cam phaser vane is attached to the camshaft on the front journal. As driving conditions warrant, the cam phaser system can reduce ignition timing at higher rpm levels to increase power. At lower rpm levels, torque is enhanced with increased timing.

This cam phaser feature was pioneered by GM and introduced on the new 3.5L and 3.9L V-6 engines in 2005 – a first for the use of variable valve timing on a cam-in-block engine design. As driving conditions warrant, the cam phasing system can reduce ignition timing at higher rpm levels to increase power. At lower rpm levels, torque is enhanced with increased timing.

Precise camshaft timing is the key to the variable valve timing system’s capability to optimize performance. Like the 58X ignition system, cam phasing is directed by the E38 ECM. It relies on data from a camshaft position sensor – a target ring with four equally spaced segments – that communicates the camshaft’s position quicker and more accurately than previous systems that used just a single segment. Also, a leaf spring-type tensioner is used on the timing chain to ensure precise tension.

The aluminum-block 6.0L version uses variable valve timing in conjunction with Displacement On Demand technology to bolster fuel economy. With cam phasing, Displacement On Demand technology allows the engine to run longer in fuel-saving four-cylinder mode, while producing instant V-8 power and response as soon as the driver calls for it.
"

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I'm sure whatever engine/engine technology GM produces for the new Camaro and other future GM vehicles will perform well, and up to our expectations.

Just look at the awesome ZO6, Trailblazer SS, etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the possibilities once the actual production version arrives.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

I found this on the L92 (the 6.2 L Casull was talking about) engine info page, which is said to be the base for the LS3

The Vortec 6.2L brings GM Powertrain’s industry first cam-in-block variable valve timing (VVT), or cam phasing, to the small block V8. VVT eliminates the compromise inherent in conventional fixed valve timing and allows a previously unattainable mix of low-rpm torque, even torque delivery over a broad range of engines speeds, and free-breathing high-rev horsepower.

The cam-phasing system in the Vortec 6.2L is similar in concept to that introduced in GM’s 3.9L and 3.5L V6 car engines for 2006. The 6.2L’s dual-equal cam phaser adjusts camshaft timing at the same rate for both intake and exhaust valves. A vane-type phaser is installed on the cam sprocket to turn the camshaft relative to the sprocket, thereby adjusting the timing of valve operation.

The vain phaser is actuated by hydraulic pressure from engine oil, and managed by a solenoid that controls oil pressure on the phaser. The phaser uses a wheel or rotor with four vanes (like a propeller) to turn the camshaft relative to the cam sprocket, which turns at a fixed rate via chain from the crankshaft. The solenoid directs oil to pressure points on either side of the four phaser vanes; the vanes, and camshaft, turn in the direction of the oil flow. The more pressure, the more the phaser and camshaft turn. The Vortec 6.2L’s new E38 engine control module (below) directs the phaser to advance or retard cam timing, depending on driving demands. The dual-equal phaser can turn the camshaft over a range of 31 degrees relative to the cam sprocket (or 17 degrees advance, 45 degrees retard relative to the crank).

The benefits are considerable. The cam phaser changes valve timing on the fly, maximizing engine performance for given demands and conditions. At idle, for example, the cam is at the full advanced position. That allows exceptionally smooth idling. Under other operating demands, the phaser adjusts to deliver optimal valve timing for performance, drivability and fuel economy. At high rpm it might retard timing to maximize airflow through the engine and increase horsepower. At low rpm it can advance timing to increase torque. Under a light load (say, casual everyday driving), it can retard timing at all engine speeds to improve fuel economy. Without cam phasing, a cam design must be biased toward one strength or another—high-end horsepower or low-end torque, for example—or profiled at some compromise level that maximizes neither.

Variable valve timing allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response, or drivability. It also provides another effective tool for controlling exhaust emissions. Because it manages valve overlap at optimum levels, it eliminates the need for an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
That's some cool info and excellent technology. I never thought one would be able to change the timing (in a sense) of their camshaft to allow for slower and faster response on the air intake. Freakin amazing what new technology they are coming out with.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

absolutley, this L92 I spoke of, It's amazing all the stuff they packed into it. If possible, it's a "smarter" LS2....