Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
rowerybo

Drives: explorer
wonder if there is a link...

between break in and gas mileage. I've searched and read the threads about gas mileage, I think 56 of them, and have yet to see anyone try to establish such a link. I do understand that driving style (grandma or hard) and type (city vs highway) play into the mpg but there are those who drive their car hard and still get different mpg than someone else driving it hard.

so, what is your average mpg based
1. how did you break in your car (book vs hard)
2. driving style (hard vs baby or middle ground)
3. driving type (city, highway, mixed)

I understand that there are those whose opinion is not to buy the car for gas mileage, and I respect that, but there are still those who would like to get the most out of their tank. So for the purpose of research or educational opportunity, the above is posted.
rowerybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
splacencia

Drives: 2011 2LT BumbleBee
I am getting 19.6 average right now. Have 1400 miles on this machine. I drive it hard with no "book" break in. I am about 2/3 city.
splacencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
I have an SS. Gas mileage is not something I ever think about. If I was worried about that, I'd get a Prius or Volt. Or maybe a Civic.

Camaro= not worrying about any of that. IMO, of course. Hell, my van gets worse gas mileage than my Camaro. Pay to play, or so they say. No Camaro is a gas miser.
REDXIIIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
First, there are basically four types of Camaros. Auto 6 cyl, auto 8 cyl, manual 6 cyl and manual 8 cyl. Each will get different mpg.

Most say you need to break it in like your going to drive it, but that you need to vary the speed, rpm and go through all the gears. The mpg at that point does not matter.

I drive my SS M6 mixed most the time, with spirited take offs (not spinning the tires however) and at the speed limit. On the highway I get 24 mpg at 75 mph (I can get 27 at 60 mph, but why ? ) Average city, 16 to 19 mpg. All with premium gas.
I have read that the V6s can get as high as 30 mpg on the highway and 18 to 22 around the city on regular gas.

Hope that helps
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote