Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #29
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Why do people keep going back to horsepower and drag strip times in a discussion about a track package?

The 1LE is much closer to a ZL-1 in laptimes than a standard SS. The following are VIR times from C&D's lightning lap:

Camaro SS: 3:09.5
Camaro SS 1LE: 3:01.5
Camaro ZL-1: 2:57.5

To put that in perspective here are some other times from the 2013 Lightning Lap:

BMW M5: 3:05.2
BMW M6: 3:04.7
Audi RS5: 3:04.3
Porsche Boxter S: 3:04.2
Ford GT500: 3:00.6
Porsche 911 S: 2:58.9
MB C63 Black Series: 2:58.0

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...r-times-page-8
I was about to post this exact thing. The 1LE is scary close to the ZL1 on a road course , where it belongs. It of course won't out perform it but it does ok It is a lot closer to the Z than a non 1LE SS is to the 1LE. Now on a dragstrip .. it may suffer a little but it wasn't designed for that so that point is mute.

Speaking from experience , for everyday use...it is a lot more fun to drive than a stock SS. Now once you start modding all bets are off. Even my 2011 SS with lowering springs , LT headers and tune wasn't as fun as the 1LE is on the road. The thing just "sticks" to the road and pulls like a train with the 3:91 gear. Truly an amazing car for less than 40k!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #30
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
moot...the point is moot

AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #31
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
moot...the point is moot

Arrest me now grammar cop.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #32
AG1LE

Old 01-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #33
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Great perspective for someone who intends to take the car on a road course, which I don't think applies to the OP.
The discussion is about the 1LE ... a package designed specifically for a road course. So that perspective is actually the correct one, any other perspective is asinine at best.

Hood wrap = glare reduction/prevention
Wheels/tires = grip increase and front/rear balance
Gear ratios = more efficient use of power band
Rear gear = more suited to acceleration/track than DD/mileage
Alcantara = better grip on the wheeh/shifter, especially when sweaty
Recaros = plant the driver in lateral loads, and holes for 5-point belts
Suspension changes = handling/braking improvements
Splitter = front-end downforce.

While many think the 1LE looks badass - every single component of it was designed and implemented with the track in mind.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #34
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
moot...the point is moot

I knew it as I typed it.......damn my spelling!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #35
AG1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
The discussion is about the 1LE ... a package designed specifically for a road course. So that perspective is actually the correct one, any other perspective is asinine at best.

Hood wrap = glare reduction/prevention
Wheels/tires = grip increase and front/rear balance
Gear ratios = more efficient use of power band
Rear gear = more suited to acceleration/track than DD/mileage
Alcantara = better grip on the wheeh/shifter, especially when sweaty
Recaros = plant the driver in lateral loads, and holes for 5-point belts
Suspension changes = handling/braking improvements
Splitter = front-end downforce.

While many think the 1LE looks badass - every single component of it was designed and implemented with the track in mind.
People (1LE owners) are missing the context of my post - maybe I can head off more like this (a bit optimistic I think). The question was not how the 1LE performs on a road course versus the SS or ZL1. The point is that the 1LE is not basically a ZL1 without a supercharger, as was the question of someone in a previous post. Not even close.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #36
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
People (1LE owners) are missing the context of my post - maybe I can head off more like this (a bit optimistic I think). The question was not how the 1LE performs on a road course versus the SS or ZL1. The point is that the 1LE is not basically a ZL1 without a supercharger, as was the question of someone in a previous post. Not even close.
You are spot on, not even close. I think the counterpoint is that for such a relatively inexpensive car, its performance is impressive, and much closer to the ZL1 than many, including myself, would have thought. It makes it hard for some of us to pass up that much bang for the buck.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #37
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Your listed mods are HP related, and the 1LE mods are handling and track performance related. It is a great deal is handling is what you are after. I was fearful of the tires, but with about 8500 miles on them, they are doing ok on the street.....better than i thought, and they sure are a hell of a lot of fun! Price is coming down as well, which will help at purchase time.
Fair enough. That's good to know about the tires. I was led to believe they were very very soft and wore much quicker.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #38
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
VERY different beast in many ways. 1LE/SS is MUCH closer to a non-1LE/SS than a ZL-1. It's not hard with a few aftermarket upgrades to a non-1LE SS to out-perform a stock 1LE/SS.
The 1LE is 10 seconds faster around VIR than a regular SS.

The ZL1 was less than 6 seconds quicker than 1LE.

So 1LE is closer to ZL1 handling wise. 1LE pulls over a g on skidpad.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #39
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post

Whoa now. For $3500 you can get full exhaust/headers/tune/ and maybe a cam depending on brands you go with, so not really best PERFORMANCE bang for your buck.

Sure it is if you want a 100K power train warranty
Old 01-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #40
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Guys really.

I get that this always comes down to this.

GM has given us three choices.

ZL1 Top dog.

ILE, built for the Track , but is very affective also in a straight line when equipped.

SS Probably better for straight line drag racing but is also pretty good in the handling department stock.

What the OP is looking for is a simple list of what the ILE has in it different then the SS. You have all enumerated that clearly. If not the top stickies on the 1LE forum tell the tale clearly.

It will come down to the $3500 is it better spent on handling or straight line performance. You can buy a good bit of HP bolt ons for $3500.

Now I myself spent the $3500 and plan on spending more on the straight line performance as well. Personal choice.

The visual differences, again a matter of taste.

But one thing has not been made clear. Even on the street the handling of the 1LE is awesome. You can enjoy it on back roads winding roads etc. It is I'm sorry to say to the SS guys considerably better than a stock SS. You don't have to race it to enjoy that. Just my opinion.

Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #41
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post

ZL1 Top dog.

ILE, built for the Track , but is very affective also in a straight line when equipped.

SS Probably better for straight line drag racing but is also pretty good in the handling department stock.

What the OP is looking for is a simple list of what the ILE has in it different then the SS. You have all enumerated that clearly. If not the top stickies on the 1LE forum tell the tale clearly.

It will come down to the $3500 is it better spent on handling or straight line performance. You can buy a good bit of HP bolt ons for $3500.

Now I myself spent the $3500 and plan on spending more on the straight line performance as well. Personal choice.

But one thing has not been made clear. Even on the street the handling of the 1LE is awesome. You can enjoy it on back roads winding roads etc. It is I'm sorry to say to the SS guys considerably better than a stock SS. You don't have to race it to enjoy that. Just my opinion.

Jim
True, but who has a stock SS? Do those actually exist?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #42
AG1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post

ZL1 Top dog.

Jim
Don't be sorry, these things are a given