Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #43
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Grand Sport; but only because it gets better gas mileage....
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #44
builder11150

Drives: 1987 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
Grand Sport; but only because it gets better gas mileage....
Performance cars aren't for you.
builder11150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #45
Miraclewhip

Drives: 2012 BLK / IO / 2SS / RS / Vert
Z06 > anything else this thread has to offer.

But I would take my 2SS RS Vert over a GS "IF" money were no object, sadly it is, and even with that said I would keep the cash, or lower note than investing in a car I dont like as much. current Vette styling has just been around too long and doesnt head turn like my car does.
Miraclewhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #46
Skeetss

Drives: 2011 Corvette Grand Sport M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancb1 View Post

A GS is just that, a Z06 imposter. From 250 feet out you think "427, Go USA!" untill you see its not. Then you think "LS3, Canada made is okay I guess".
That would be true if the GS M6 Coupe Dry-sump LS3's weren't built in Wixom, MI. Oh the joy of actually reading!
Skeetss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #47
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Corvette Drivers:
  1. Purchased it for status
  2. Are arrogent, pompous a$$holes
  3. Have never changed their own oil or replaced their spark plugs
  4. Are Balding
  5. Are Fat
  6. Have a small penis
  7. Have no driving skills
  8. Never get laid
Camaro Drivers:
  1. Purchased it for enthusiasm
  2. Are cool people to hang with
  3. Do lots of their own maintenance work and mod install work
  4. Have lots of hair
  5. Are in shape
  6. Are well endowed
  7. Have mad driving skills
  8. Always getting some
You must know different Camaro owners than I do....our local club can't get anyone out for anything performance related. The last track day we had I was the sole 5th gen Camaro in a sea of Corvettes.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #48
YLWJKT

Drives: 2017 ZL1
It depends on what you're wanting it for.
If you ever plan on tracking your car than go with the GS. Right out of the box it's a very capable track car. It's about 100 lbs. heavier than a Z06 but shares the same brakes and suspension, the primary differences in weight are the steel vs aluminum frame and the heat shielding/noise insulation that the Z06 does not have. The LS7 engine is a bit heavier so it offsets the weight savings a bit.
After a lot of research I chose a GS over the Z06 for the following reasons:
The Z06 is available M6 only, and I wanted an auto.
While my GS does see track use it's also a street car and I like being able to remove the targa top, th eZ06 has a fixed roof.
Last was the cost savings, at between $12 - 15k difference between comparably equipped cars the 70 hp difference between the 2 wasn't worth it to me. I've driven both on the track and the Z06 can get tail happy, and I've cut the same or a bit faster lap times in the GS depending on the track.

If you have to have back seats than the Camaro is a no brainer and for around $35k you do get a lot of performance in an SS Camaro; brakes, suspension and engine are all reasonably impressive for the price point.
If you don't need a rear seat and can afford the Corvette GS than I'd highly recommend it over the Camaro.
For about $20-25k more than a Camaro SS you get a hell of a performance increase in terms of handling/braking and even acceleration.

I own both, my DD is a Maggie equipped Camaro SS, and my weekend car is a mostly stock GS.
I've tracked both and even with tire and suspension upgrades the Camaro can't touch the GS.

FWIW, I change my own oil, install my own superchargers, suspension etc., I'm not fat, get laid regularly and am smart enough not to label people by the cars they choose to own.
YLWJKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #49
Skeetss

Drives: 2011 Corvette Grand Sport M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Scot View Post
If you ever plan on tracking your car than go with the GS. Right out of the box it's a very capable track car. It's about 100 lbs. heavier than a Z06 but shares the same brakes and suspension, the primary differences in weight are the steel vs aluminum frame and the heat shielding/noise insulation that the Z06 does not have. The LS7 engine is a bit heavier so it offsets the weight savings a bit.
While my GS does see track use it's also a street car and I like being able to remove the targa top, th eZ06 has a fixed roof.
Last was the cost savings, at between $12 - 15k difference between comparably equipped cars the 70 hp difference between the 2 wasn't worth it to me. I've driven both on the track and the Z06 can get tail happy, and I've cut the same or a bit faster lap times in the GS depending on the track.

If you have to have back seats than the Camaro is a no brainer and for around $35k you do get a lot of performance in an SS Camaro; brakes, suspension and engine are all reasonably impressive for the price point.
If you don't need a rear seat and can afford the Corvette GS than I'd highly recommend it over the Camaro.
For about $20-25k more than a Camaro SS you get a hell of a performance increase in terms of handling/braking and even acceleration.

I own both, my DD is a Maggie equipped Camaro SS, and my weekend car is a mostly stock GS.
I've tracked both and even with tire and suspension upgrades the Camaro can't touch the GS.

FWIW, I change my own oil, install my own superchargers, suspension etc., I'm not fat, get laid regularly and am smart enough not to label people by the cars they choose to own.
We have a winner.
Skeetss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #50
Chevrole+

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I would have to say the Camaro. I have a gravel driveway, and a bridge. The grand sport wouldn't fit over the bridge (sits to low). It's not a Daily Driving car either. I would expect my grand sport to have low miles and always be clean. I couldn't accomplish either one.
Chevrole+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #51
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Well I love my Camaro and I am going to wait and get my other dream car... I figure in a bout 3 years to get a 2011 Blue ZR1... So keeping one of my dream cars so that I can have 2 of my dream cars down the line. In the end keeping my camaro now is the best way to have 2 of my dream cars in the next few years

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #52
SilverSS3108

Drives: 2010 silver SS
I out ran one today.... Yes he new we were racing but he drove like he was afraid of the car or was really new to it... Either way I'll take it, I'll brag about it, and I can always say I did it hahahaha
Old 09-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #53
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSS3108 View Post
I out ran one today.... Yes he new we were racing but he drove like he was afraid of the car or was really new to it... Either way I'll take it, I'll brag about it, and I can always say I did it hahahaha

I'd be pretty tentative behind a ZR1... for a little while.

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #54
thump426er

Drives: Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Scot View Post

Well said,,, and same here especially on the last paragraph. My camaro is maggie fed and my Z06 is stock. Even with the 325's out back in the Z it's a little more tentative to get on the gas out of corners but on a hot sticky day I can lay the throttle out on the blown camaro sooner, would guess its the added weight that helps. On carrying speed corners a different story the Z is on rails, the camaro is on rails where the spikes are starting to pull out of the ground. In the end the camaro can't touch the vette (speaking for my mods anyway).

Both get lots of attention but the camaro on any given day will get more comments and thumbs if that's your goal. Z is a compromise car, it takes a certain person to put up with the interior noise, the road bump, the tire noise, and the insssaaannnnneeee top end pull (7000rpm titanium rod 427,, HELLLOOO). From a dig at the track both these cars are the same until about 110 mph, from there the vette pulls away. Not sure if your married or not but by far the camaro could wheel more ladies,, and carry 4 people, in a quieter, smoother ride. I'm married, wife likes the camaro more but tolerates the vette and secretly I think she really likes it but always had the labelled associations with them in her head.

All that being said I drive the vette most days and love it,,,, oh and my camaro is for sale now.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #55
chevyfan#1
I Love my new Camaro!!

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro SS
Vette anyday of the week
chevyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #56
jthurik

Drives: 2014 Corvette Z51 TT 2018 ZL1 A10
well I own a 2010 Grand Sport and my new daily driver is a 2011 2SS vert really the Grand Sport is a great car and hands down one of the best performance cars for the money. The GS has its cost as it will eat a set of 2k tires every 9k miles if you keep the runcraps on there. My 2010 GS is now a Dallas Performance built 850+ RWHP street car. bottom line and please this is my view as I own both the GS is a true performance car and I would put the CTS-V sedan next and then the Camaro. I really like my vert as I just got it last week but its not a Vette.

John
jthurik is offline   Reply With Quote