Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #71
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
No excuse to use oil on these or any modern engine. But the fix's and prevention to avoid and usually solve it are readily available.

Here is an email from this wed from a 3.6L owner with the issue:

Hey Tracy, Just wanted to thank you, and everyone at RevXtreme. I bought a catch can from you, for my 2005 CTS. Well since installing it i'm not consuming any oil anymore. I've had a close eye on the oil level since i have installed it and it hasn't used a drop. I don't know how or what that catch can has done to prevent the oil consumption. (I've read your tech tips article and understand the concept of how a catch can work.) I guess i am just baffeled that it something so simple like that could work.

Anyway just wanted to thank you. I was at my last wits end with this car and was about to put it back on the market, after the dealer replaced two motors under warrenty.

I'll be purchasing another catch can from you in the future. I have a 2000 Camaro SS that is getting a turbo as we speak, as a fun project street car.

But thanks again. It was definetly worth the wait.

Gabe Moulden
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #72
Tommydec02

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
I know this is an old thread but I just had the same problem with my engine as well. I have a 2010 camaro with the v6 engine. I was driving and the check engine light came on and I had loss of power to the engine as well. Ran the code and it pulled p0008 which is engine position system performance bank 1. So I had ittowed to the dealer thinking my timing was messed up since thats what the code was saying. Having only 56k miles I was getting pretty upset that the timing was going out so soon. The dealer checked it out and the engine was completely out of oil and I still had 20% on the oil remaining life. Really hoping this is just some oil getting burned and not a major mechanical problem.
Tommydec02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #73
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommydec02 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I just had the same problem with my engine as well. I have a 2010 camaro with the v6 engine. I was driving and the check engine light came on and I had loss of power to the engine as well. Ran the code and it pulled p0008 which is engine position system performance bank 1. So I had ittowed to the dealer thinking my timing was messed up since thats what the code was saying. Having only 56k miles I was getting pretty upset that the timing was going out so soon. The dealer checked it out and the engine was completely out of oil and I still had 20% on the oil remaining life. Really hoping this is just some oil getting burned and not a major mechanical problem.
You will find all your answers here. First off, Yes the V-6 burns oil, I add a Qt every 1000 miles or so in between oil changes. Dude you have to check your fluid levels no matter what car it is. Good Luck with your car.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #74
justin2fast4u

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
I've already had both stock cats go bad. My car seems to be burning more and more oil every day. Doing an oil consumption test with the dealer now to see exactly how much. Last time I went in the dipstick was not showing any. They told me its fine that there is still some in there. They also told me that burning oil would not have anything to do with the cats going bad. I think that is bs too from what I know about cars.
justin2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #75
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
After 6 yrs I am only using, 1/4 qt every 2k miles, not bad at all.
I also sub 1 qt of 10w-30 when I change my oil, helps a lot to reduce consumption.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #76
BryanS209

Drives: Bold
BURNS OIL NOT RUBBER!!!

I have a 2014 Camaro with the v6. I took it to the dealer last June at Approx 11K. The dealer performed an oil consumption test where they pull the dipstick every 1,000 miles X 6. The results showed I was burning 1 qt. every 1,000 miles. GM authorized the dealer to replace the PCV valve and valve cover. Was instructed to come in every 1,000 miles X6 for another oil consumption test. I was not happy about another test so I called on the California Bureau of automotive affairs. They told me that they have no jurisdiction over GM and advised me to continue the oil consumption test. He also told me that he still had to go see the dealer since I had contacted them. Ever since the dealer reports that the engine oil consumption is 1/2 qt. every 1,000 miles. Just finished the second oil consumption test and the dealer told me GM considers 1qt. every 2,000 miles normal. How convenient. When I asked the dealer and GM a year ago what is considered acceptable GM told me to ask the dealer and the dealer told me they didn't know. I will never buy a GM again. I have been advised that this issue causes premature O2 sensor failure as well as plugs up the catalytic converters and I have been told this Camaro has 4. I think I will get a rear window sticker that reads Burns Oil Not Rubber!! with a thumbs down to GM and the dealership. I may even seek legal counsel. Maybe do a little research to find out if there is a class action lawsuit against GM.
BryanS209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #77
carls2010

Drives: 2006 Corvette
First off, Is ive seen too many oil consumption test done WRONG.!!
1st = Change oil.
2nd = Fill with Good Aftermarket 5 W 30,,(mobile ??) - As gm fluids stink !!!! - Dont use Dealers Oil. ! - Even if they say it's mobile oil..
3rd = If test still show high consumption. A non Synthetic could be run for 1,200 to 1,500 miles. then check level.. Then do a drain and refill with syn.. And test again, to see if better..

Or save time and drain and fill, and use NON synthetic. Drive 1200 - 1500 miles. Check again. - Then Drain and fill with syn. Now do the consumption test again.. BUT if you have 3,000 miles or more on engine . This may not work..

I did it,, and it did the trick.. or i got lucky..

And if i remember right,, G.M. Says that, a quart or more in 1000 miles,, then it is a warr issue..
DAMM these mass produced engines.. No more quality control..

And here is a BIG ONE..- That most owners over look..
If G.M. Authorized the P.C.V. and Valve Cover. for dealer to change,, -- Then they Acknowledged,, that there is a issue with your engine..
And now they have too fix-- ..So fight it..!. Again they just dont change parts too SEE if it does the trick. - They just confirmed it, has a issue by authorizing them too change tho"s parts..

Last edited by carls2010; 08-16-2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: info
carls2010 is offline   Reply With Quote