Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #155
Brainwavewow

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
I have a question, I just got my first oil change done on my car at around 7500KM cuz the OLM reading was at 5%. So if i switch too synthetic oil next time and I keep up my same driving cycle, the OLM will adjust accordingly, and probably will allow me to squeeze a few thousand more kms?
Brainwavewow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #156
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The OLM/computer will have no idea that you put synthetic in. What would happen is if temps reduced enough then the OLM wouldn't reduce as fast. A few thousand different? I honestly don't think more than maybe a 1000, but there is no actual proof.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #157
Brainwavewow

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
^

So how would I know how long I can wait till i should change my oil? Because it seems most people here say they can go somethign crazy like 8,000 miles or 10,000 miles on synthetic.
Brainwavewow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #158
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwavewow View Post
^

So how would I know how long I can wait till i should change my oil? Because it seems most people here say they can go somethign crazy like 8,000 miles or 10,000 miles on synthetic.
For warranty purposes you are still bound by the OLM. I don't know exactly how much the computer can tattle tale on you, but if you reset the OLM and have no proof of a oil and filter change you don't have a leg to stand on.

We currently have just over 12,000 miles on this oil and the OLM says 6%. I'll get around to changing it next week after I put some more miles on it.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #159
coloeb

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 6L50 automatic TF-3
The oil life indicator is a good guildline to follow, only for the parameters it checks. New engines have a sacrificial coating on the bearings called babbit. this is a lead based metal that wears away as engine break in occures. Engine oil analasis detects all metal contaminants in the sample and reports them to the owner. Certain metals should never be present in the sample, and indicate a potential problem long before it can be seen otherwise. These metals , if allowed to remain can cause damage to the engine. There are also viscosity issues with any oil as well as pour point and other critical tests that determine weather or not the lube is acceptable for your application.
With oil changes as cheap as they are I change mine at the 3k mark reguardless of what the OLI says. Its just cheap insurance.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #160
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloeb View Post
The oil life indicator is a good guildline to follow, only for the parameters it checks. New engines have a sacrificial coating on the bearings called babbit. this is a lead based metal that wears away as engine break in occures. Engine oil analasis detects all metal contaminants in the sample and reports them to the owner. Certain metals should never be present in the sample, and indicate a potential problem long before it can be seen otherwise. These metals , if allowed to remain can cause damage to the engine. There are also viscosity issues with any oil as well as pour point and other critical tests that determine weather or not the lube is acceptable for your application.
With oil changes as cheap as they are I change mine at the 3k mark reguardless of what the OLI says. Its just cheap insurance.

Sorry, but wth did I just read? Total post failure especially coming from a supposed chief engineer in some part of the automotive industry.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #161
Chevy girl 13

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Oil life on Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
As mentioned earlier, here is what I got in the mail on the wife's car
Hi my oil life is at 4% and my appointment isn't until Tuesday. Will it be okay until then I have maybe 60 miles of driving until then.
Thank you
Chevy girl 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #162
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
really depends on how you drove it then and also what type of oil. Any track days on the oil? What kind of oil?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #163
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy girl 13 View Post
Hi my oil life is at 4% and my appointment isn't until Tuesday. Will it be okay until then I have maybe 60 miles of driving until then.
Thank you
Probably. 0 isn't really 0, there is still quite a bit of a safety factor once it reaches 0 (I forget what I've heard it cited as, but its probably at least 10%).

But even if 0 is 0 ... you say you've got ~60 miles & 4% to go, you would have to have an oil change interval of just 1500 miles for 60 to equal 4% of the total life. Odds are its been at least twice as long, if not 5 or even 10 times depending on how you drive. If you are close, as long as you aren't abusing your engine for that time you should be fine.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #164
Chevy girl 13

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Probably. 0 isn't really 0, there is still quite a bit of a safety factor once it reaches 0 (I forget what I've heard it cited as, but its probably at least 10%).

But even if 0 is 0 ... you say you've got ~60 miles & 4% to go, you would have to have an oil change interval of just 1500 miles for 60 to equal 4% of the total life. Odds are its been at least twice as long, if not 5 or even 10 times depending on how you drive. If you are close, as long as you aren't abusing your engine for that time you should be fine.
The 60 miles is a guess for miles to work and errands. I plan to drive as little as possible until then. I checked the oil last week and is seemed fine. After reading all the quotes on this site though I guess I will play it safe and drive as little as possible. I just wonder if the dealer adjusted it so I would have to go often. Seems like I just changed it. thank you for such a quick reply.
Chevy girl 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #165
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy girl 13 View Post
Thank you
You'll be fine. Drive normally.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #166
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
bumping this up. Had someone ask about it today.